SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
for me it is a matter of economics....

most BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) are $4 for a 12oz can or bottle with 5 percent or less ABV

most IPA are $6 for a pint (16oz) with 7 percent or higher ABV

in my mind, I would have to drink twice the BMC than an IPA

and the flavor remains from the start to the dregs, unlike most BMC

YMMV

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
nope, given the choice between an IPA and water, I'll take the water.

Pretty much the only style of Beer that I cannot find much to enjoy about.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11156 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:
for me it is a matter of economics....

most BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) are $4 for a 12oz can or bottle with 5 percent or less ABV

most IPA are $6 for a pint (16oz) with 7 percent or higher ABV

in my mind, I would have to drink twice the BMC than an IPA

and the flavor remains from the start to the dregs, unlike most BMC

YMMV

john

Well, many people think that BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) tastes like watered-down urine and move on to craft beer, especially when they can afford it anyways.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're not saying we prefer BMC over IPA.

We are saying we prefer any other craft beer over IPA.

Not the same thing. The fact that an IPA packs a bigger punch than piss water (aka BMC) and is consistent start to finish doesn't make it good or palatable.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Bitter beer face! Anybody remember that? I do, I remember bitter being badder, people wanted smooth! And then, suddenly, IPAs roll in and they're the hottest tits you ever seen. My theory is that it's just another "adult" thing. Look how Adult I am! I drink IPAs, they're so bitter, it's like I'm drinking directly from a dog's sour asshole! This is not fun, and I am not enjoying myself, and I wish I could lick a belt sander so I didn't have to taste this swill anymore, but goddamn, look how Adult I am being right now! Sort of a continuation of early adulthood proving how manly you were by how much hard alcohol you could chug before you shit your pants on the way to the ER.

Now, that's not to say some people don't actually like IPA, or that all IPA is bad, it's just that it's incredible popularity, I think, is due to it's incredible popularity. The Paris Hilton of Beers. Or Kardashians. Or whoever the kids look up to these days for being a stupid spoiled whore.

Now we have "fake news" in a beer thread . Frown

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I love me a good, tasty beer. Guinness, the original Sam Adams....IPA is not a tasty beer. Yuk!

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I'll give restaurants here a hard time CONSTANTLY.

Richmond has an AMAZING craft beer scene. There are breweries all over the place to the point that I don't really buy any beer that isn't made here these days.

The restaurants here are very good about making sure at least half of their taps are filled with good local stuff so when I see ALL of the craft beers taps are IPAs, I get annoyed and I'll definitely rib them pretty hard.

true that,

RVA has some really great beers,

COTU,
Legends (esp the brown, )
Ardent (honey ginger is delicious)
and about a hundred more

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10575 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent an amazing day at Legends a couple years ago when my husband was taking the Sig armorer course at Colonial Shooting.

I got there before it got busy, so the bartender played with me all day. I got to taste everything and hear about it all before that taste.

I did spend quite a bit that day, but it was a really good day.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm late to the thread but I love a good IPA.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3630 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I think that IPA in craft beer industry is due in part to the expense of lager yeast and the increased brewing time for lagers. At least that is what the craft beer dude said on our tour of their back room. They can sell more IPA faster for less money, so they do.

I find some IPA enjoyable, but I do wish the beers would be craft-brewed. Crisp, clear, flavorful, with sufficient body. That's all I want.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I don't think I replied to this post yet but I've thought about it a few times. I really don't like IPAs at all. I'm a big beer fan. I love micro brews. In summer I enjoy a nice refreshing wheat with fruit flavor. The super beer snobs will make fun of me for drinking a Harpoon Mango beer. Meanwhile they are drinking from a glass of potpourri. IPA is bitter as hell because it had to be for transportation. Bitter is not good. Now I don't mind a little bitter. Even liked some of the first popular IPAs (Harpoon being one).

But I went to a brew fest last year and just about every stupid brewer had like 6 different IPAs and maybe 1 other type. So glad the fad is going away. I'll take a heavy malty beer with just enough hops to balance it any day.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I do actually happen to like well made IPAs, but I agree with the OP that this "craft beer = IPA" shit is out of control. Especially since I just came from Colorado and know that craft brewers can do amazing things with all varieties of beers.

Every store in Indy seems to subscribe to this nonsense. So far, in Indiana, craft beer DOES mean IPA, because that and a smattering of milk stouts is all I see in the craft section.

ETA: If a member feels like coming along and correcting me to the error of my ways regarding Indianpolis and Indiana, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO SO! I don't have the time to hit every beer barn and liquor store within 30 minutes of my house to find somewhere with quality beer.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
a dog's sour asshole

I don't know anything about the flavor of dog butts, but that does sound about right. Smile

Whatever the reason, I am not wired to appreciate bitter flavors, especially entire glasses/bottles of it.

It's nearly unfathomable how someone can enjoy that taste, or the super peaty Scotches either. My body/tastebuds immediately reject it.

(shrug)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Whatever the reason, I am not wired to appreciate bitter flavors, especially entire glasses/bottles of it.

I'm not completely sure but I'm guessing that the fact we are genetically programmed to avoid bitter flavor as it usually signifies something that is toxic may have something to do with it. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ makes sense. My body is all but screaming "fuck that" when I taste one. The Bitter Beer Face dude had it right, I think.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
I spent an amazing day at Legends a couple years ago when my husband was taking the Sig armorer course at Colonial Shooting.

I got there before it got busy, so the bartender played with me all day. I got to taste everything and hear about it all before that taste.

I did spend quite a bit that day, but it was a really good day.

come back for their anniversary party next year,
avoid the tourist upstairs, and fall in with the industry crowd downstairs,,

some amazing stuff is brewed there in small batches the general public never sees

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10575 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I think that IPA in craft beer industry is due in part to the expense of lager yeast and the increased brewing time for lagers. At least that is what the craft beer dude said on our tour of their back room. They can sell more IPA faster for less money, so they do.

I find some IPA enjoyable, but I do wish the beers would be craft-brewed. Crisp, clear, flavorful, with sufficient body. That's all I want.

The added expense is the extra amount of hops. In the boil and dry-hopping as well.

I don't think that craft beer means only IPA. I still love reds, stouts, sours, gose, and the list goes on. I'm sure some people legitimately don't like the taste/flavor of IPAs but I also wouldn't doubt that many people just haven't had any IPAs from good breweries. Freshness is also a factor.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's nearly unfathomable how someone can enjoy that taste, or the super peaty Scotches either. My body/tastebuds immediately reject it.

(shrug)

When I really started getting into craft beer (and my wife came along for the ride), both our palates slowly changed. I didn't start out linking IPAs that much, now my favorite style is DIPA.

The first time I had Stone's Arrogant Bastard I hated it and barely could even finish it. I didn't try it again for a decade. Now I like it just fine and also know it is the copious use of Chinook hops that was why I didn't like it. I use Chinooks sometimes in my brewing, but in limited doses.

The best thing about home-brewing is the same as cooking. I can brew to my own tastes. Want an IPA with lots of fruity hop flavors, lower bitterness and more malt character? Easy to make that, but hard to find on the shelf!

Now, before someone says that wouldn't be an IPA, that depends on the numbers. You could hit the minimal IBUs for the style as well as the max ABV and color (from the extra malt) and still be an IPA. Just a maltier, less bitter, and more fruity tasting one.

I just made a Pale Ale with 3 different experimental hop varieties that were on sale. From all the late hop additions and dry hop, it is like a mini-NE style IPA. Fruity, juicy flavor, cloudy, and IBUs approaching IPA territory.

There are tons of dark barrel aged beers out there now. Lots of exploring to be done in that front if you are tired of the IPAs and sours.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
quote:
^ makes sense. My body is all but screaming "fuck that" when I taste one. The Bitter Beer Face dude had it right, I think.

Smile

LOL, NAILED IT!

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

come back for their anniversary party next year,
avoid the tourist upstairs, and fall in with the industry crowd downstairs,,

some amazing stuff is brewed there in small batches the general public never sees

That definitely sounds like a good day. I'll try to keep it in mind.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more