SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers? Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I've got very simple (read: low browed, knucke dragger) taste in beer. I really enjoy Yuengling traditional.

I ordered one recently and they brought me the IPL version of Yuengling, and it tasted like monkey wizz. Sir, do you like the IPL? Negative, Ghost Rider.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I'm all about the malt, so don't at all care for IPAs. Unfortunately, the Seattle area in particular is really, really hot on IPAs, so other than a list of different IPAs it's tough to find much of anything else on tap at local restraurants beyond the obligatory pilsner and hef...you might be offered a red or porter if you're lucky. My favorite beers are browns and Scotch Ales, and it's rare to ever find one of those out in the wild. I've taken to asking what bottled beers they have available, since that's about the only way I get my malt fix.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I don't know where the OP is having this problem as I'm finding plenty of variety. But I live in Beer City USA, so.

But I have to smile at the thought of "too much IPA." When I came of age, everything was Bud, Miller, Coors, Labatt, Fosters.

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
IMHO the craft brewery craze grew out of the home brew movement.

I don't know if one grew out of the other - I think the two phenomena were sparked by the same interests - getting some beer that actually had flavor and getting some variety. And the thing that happened first was increased importation of European beer. I could get a Pilsner Urquell or an Optimator in the late '70s - long before I could get a Sierra Nevada or a Boston Beer.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been trying, not too hard mind you, to develop a 'taste' for them over the last couple of years or so, but I am just finding the love for them.

Posts: 3578 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I love a high ABV citrus IPA. But I'll only drink one at a sitting.

Posts: 2449 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
IMHO the craft brewery craze grew out of the home brew movement.

I don't know if one grew out of the other - I think the two phenomena were sparked by the same interests - getting some beer that actually had flavor and getting some variety. And the thing that happened first was increased importation of European beer. I could get a Pilsner Urquell or an Optimator in the late '70s - long before I could get a Sierra Nevada or a Boston Beer.

Yep.
When I was in college it was either quantity or quality... and quality usually meant imports. That's when Boston Beer came out with Samuel Adams' Boston Lager. We have so much variety available now... it's great!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Preach it brother. I'm about full up on IPA, reached terminal mass on Shandys about half a summer into that fad too.

Over hopped swill for you my man? No thanks I believe I'll have a diet root beer with a shot of grenadine. Don't forget my fuggin lime wedge either. Roll Eyes

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5236 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I've been liking Oskar Blues' Mama's Little Yella Pils in the can...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I prefer lagers to ales. The "craft" breweries like ales because they're cheaper to make. Ales can be brewed in significantly less time, and don't require refrigeration during the brewing process. My favorite beer is Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold. I drink it daily, and Kaiserhof, my fave San Diego restaurant, has it on tap.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9437 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Everyone is entitled to their own taste.
I am not convinced it is just a fad/cultural coolness idea.
Perhaps some drink it to be cool but no one I know.
I LIKE hopped up beers.
Most of these Craft Brewers just try different combinations of ingredients just to see what people aka their customers like.
I generally never cared for Dark/Stout Beers.
However, a local brewer here (Bufalo Brewing) hopped up a Stout formulation and I loved it.

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I can't campaign to hard against IPA's, I'm a huge fan of their darkside equals. Scotch ale and wee heavy, these are beers they malt to the moon.

Posts: 8179 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was professionally involved in the craft industry very early. Luckily (or not) I was taught how to brew by a TRUE German Master Brewer who graduated top of his class at Doemans in Munich after his apprenticeship in Bavaria. He was 1 of 12 in the country that held the brewing certifications he does. Which included the "Big 3"

To say the least, his perfectionistic attitude towards brewing basically ruined me on what was and mostly is available today within the craft beers (they have gotten much better since I was in it 25yrs ago)

I opt to typically not taste a beer while one of the brewers is present as I can typically and have told them what they did incorrect through the process

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6294 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I used to love IPA's. Until my body decided that they now give me the screaming shits, every time. Last attempt was several months ago, had about six ounces of that one and it was a struggle. I also paid for it after.

I've refined my taste down to pilsners and lagers and I'm ok with it.

Posts: 17625 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
the only thing worse than overhopped IPA's are beer snobs.

Big Grin

Not as bad as Crossfit and Vegans, but getting in the ballpark.

Remember when there was Beer and Lite Beer? Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, you are on your own with this. I love IPAs and drink them 80% of the time. I'm actually considering brewing my own with my wife since she is interested in the brewing at home thing right now.

Posts: 2018 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
I was professionally involved in the craft industry very early. Luckily (or not) I was taught how to brew by a TRUE German Master Brewer who graduated top of his class at Doemans in Munich after his apprenticeship in Bavaria. He was 1 of 12 in the country that held the brewing certifications he does. Which included the "Big 3"

To say the least, his perfectionistic attitude towards brewing basically ruined me on what was and mostly is available today within the craft beers (they have gotten much better since I was in it 25yrs ago)

I opt to typically not taste a beer while one of the brewers is present as I can typically and have told them what they did incorrect through the process

Is it true that lagers are more difficult for a craft or micro-brewer to make than ales and stouts? Sure seems like many brew pubs don't even make a lager.

Posts: 13566 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I used to love IPA's. Until my body decided that they now give me the screaming shits, every time. Last attempt was several months ago, had about six ounces of that one and it was a struggle. I also paid for it after.

I've refined my taste down to pilsners and lagers and I'm ok with it.

A pilsner is a lager! #beersnob Big Grin

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't stand them.

I'm okay with a traditional IPA like Bass Ale, but that's it.

Shandys can go jump in a lake. Yum, lemon (or orher citrus) pledge.

Ales, some lagers, some pilsners, hefeweizens, English browns, porters...that's beer.

Bud, Miller, Coors...that's not beer.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:

I'm okay with a traditional IPA like Bass Ale, but that's it.

Bass Ale is an English Pale Ale, not an IPA. #beersnob

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post