SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Else Here Not A Fan Of IPA-Everything In Craft Beers? Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
the only thing worse than overhopped IPA's are beer snobs.

for real... I'm not a huge beer drinker but I agree that more hops = better beer trend is pretty annoying.

lately for me its Terrapins Golden Ale (only available in Georgia), Red Hare Long Day Lager, and, if I want IPA, Creature Comforts Tropicalia.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go through phases with IPA's. IPA's are good if I only want to drink a couple and with certain meals (red meat usually.) Definitely not a summer beer.

As an every day go-to, I stick with lagers, but it's true that the IPA craze has taken away from the lager scene. My recent favorite is toasted lager by blue point. Better on tap but still solid in bottles.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Munich is beer heaven for me. I fell in love with Augustiner when we were there several years ago, have only found it once in a restaurant in Raleigh though since then...

Posts: 2162 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I thought I was alone...

I really don't like IPA's or APA's at all whatsoever.

Like others have stated, the German beers are the bomb, and Augustiner, Paulaner, Spaten, Warsteiner are my favorites.

Posts: 3816 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Thankfully it looks like this craze of IPA IPA IPA in the craft beer world is starting to wane a little with other styles like classic Pils and Gose and sour beers happening.

I was at an outdoor party Saturday night and all they had was craft IPA and Miller Lite. I'm sorry but I don't find these thick, heavy IPA's to be a refreshing summer beer at all! It sounds like craft brewers love them, especially newer less experienced ones, as they are hard to screw up and mistakes can be masked with even more hops.

I guess I'm biased having spent 4 years in Germany and grew to love a good classic Pils or Hefeweizen type beer, to me both of these are perfect summer beers.

Anyone else not a huge fan of these IPA's dominating the American beer scene?

I think there are plenty of people out there that feel exactly as you do. But I do generally get looked at funny when I suggest that I don't like IPA's. I think I'd rather submit to a spinal tap procedure than drink an IPA.

quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I love IPA's, I DONT love that it's become a competition to see who can make theirs the hoppiest. I cant drink half of them anymore.
Perhaps this is my problem with them too.

A perfect example for me is Dogfish head. The 60 minute is the perfect IPA for me. 90 minute I can tolerate, but I wouldn't order.. 120 minute tastes like complete shit to me. I cant drink it, especially for 20 dollars a bottle or whatever it is.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Mass-produced domestic light please. Other than that pilsners or hefeweizen. No craft crap please.

My favorite:

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I think the over hopping deal is starting to taper off. If you don't like the bitterness of hops then not even the mildest IBU IPA will fit your taste. Me, while not my favorite, I did (when I drank beer) enjoy a good IPA now and again. 60 minute, Lagunitas and Ballast Point where some I liked to name a few.

Of course IPA's as will other strong and bold flavored beers are not good session beers. They are not good candidates for hot summer day thirst quenching.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Wernesgrüner Pilsner sold at Aldi

My local Aldi closed for a remodel/expansion a few months back and reopens next week and I'm really hoping they are permitted to start selling Aldi beer like they do in your state. Stupid PA is SO behind the times and our PA Liquor Control Board overlords have only very grudgingly started allowing certain supermarkets like Wegmans to sell beer. Frown

This is my favorite local go-to beer and has been for a while. I think the brewmaster traveled the breweries of Germany extensively as this is a really good reproduction of a classic North German Pils, think Jever, Holsten or Flensburger. Crisp, hoppy without being too in your face and just very drinkable and refreshing!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1853/8787/

Posts: 34541 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bud Lite is beer only in the very loosest sense of the definition of "beer." "Mildly beer-flavoured carbonated water" would be a more apt description.

The common mass-produced "beers," like Budweiser, bear about as much resemblance to beer as a McDonald's burger does to a real burger. That's fine if that's what you like, but, it ain't beer, any more than grape flavoured Kool-Aid is grape juice.

Pretty harsh!

Being from St. Louis I grew up on Budweiser. Not a fan of Bud Lite which was a response to Miller Lite, the original Lite beer. But... women dig it at parties, so you have to have it.
Bud Select is better than Bud Lite if you're watching the carbs.

BTW, the only member of the Busch family still in the brewing business is Billy. Has anyone tried Kraftig or Kraftig Light? Much better than Bud Lite, IMO.

I do like an occasional IPA but these days I prefer an amber ale or a wheat beer like a hefeweizen.
Urban Chestnut Schnickelfritz is a good one.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I don't know why IPA's became so popular ... oh wait I do ... THEY TASTE GREAT.
I discovered it by accident when my wife bought some home and I tried it.
Not because it is stylish (if it is) because I liked the taste.
I agree some are better than others and everybody changes up their formulation but ain't competition great?
Not that other beers aren't good because IPA isn't the only thing out there that is good.
What is better than trying and enjoying beer?

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll drink them and there's a few I really like. Founders makes one called "All Day IPA" that's nice and not overpowering. OTOH, Alaskan makes one called "Husky IPA" that's a bit much for me.
I drink all kinds of beer but my favorite is Guinness. I really can't drink the Bud, Coors and the like because they taste like water to me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a West Coast thing...you wouldn't understand. Big Grin

j/k. I consider myself a beer "nerd" as opposed to "snob." I don't look down on what others drink, no style is "crap" to me, there are even light american lagers that I like (regular Bud and Coors). Pilsner Urqeull and Stella are good as well.

With IPAs, I don't care how high the IBU number is, but I like big hop aroma and flavor. Probably my favorite style is IIPA, more malt character and usually really big hop aroma and fruity, piney hop flavors.

As a fan of all styles, it annoys me how seasonal the selection is, it is IPA and "summer beer" season now, nary a dark beer to be found on the shelves. I understand it though, shelf space is limited.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
First - I love a good, bitter, IPA (think Stone IPA - the Green Label).

I also agree with the OP - a heavy IPA is not a "refreshing" summer beer. A good pilsner (oh - if the brewer actually thinks rice is a beer ingredient, it ain't beer - if your beer needs a lime in it to taste good, well that should say something about the beer itself - huh?) is a better choice for something after mowing the lawn or just sitting in the sun.

That's also the difference between a glass of wine and one mixed with a REAL sugar 7-Up (ie, wine cooler) - 7% vs 3%.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14149 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think the trend in IPAs has already begun to turn. But there still are a lot of them out there. In two or three years, many IPAs will fall out of production. Something else will be the hot ticket.

I like an IPA that isn't so hop-laden that it tastes like a pine tree. Or, it if is on the more hoppy end of the scale, it needs to have some good maltiness to support all that bitter. But, an IPA has never been my favorite of styles.

For summer, I like a blonde ale. Locally, Southern Star's Bombshell Blonde or Real Ale's Fireman's 4. Pilsners are good, too, but I prefer ales in general.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Yoop has sprouted craft beer breweries like weeds in the past few years. I tasted a few from various sources and....
I cant tell them apart!
Guess I am not enough of a beer snob.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
All these IPAs and Session Ales, what the hell is a session ale.

A "session ale" is an IPA that's hopped more lightly and has somewhat lower alcohol by volume than more full-bore IPAs. They're called "session" or "all day" IPAs because you can drink more of them, for longer, without burning out on the taste or becoming so blitzed you can't stand up Smile

quote:
Fuck you I want a beer. Whether its bud light ...

Bud Lite is beer only in the very loosest sense of the definition of "beer." "Mildly beer-flavoured carbonated water" would be a more apt description.

The reason real beers are not served at near-freezing temperatures is because they can be. The reason the pop-fizzle rice-water most Americans call "beer" is served so cold is because, if your taste buds weren't numbed by the cold, and you could actually tell what it tasted like, you wouldn't drink it.

quote:
or becks its beer you twat.

Maybe real Beck's, but...

quote:

If you've been drinking Beck's in America, you've been punked for thinking your brew is from Bremen.

Beck's is made in America, just like Bud. In fact, they're crafted in the same breweries.

Source: Deceived Beck's beer drinkers can guzzle $50 refund

The common mass-produced "beers," like Budweiser, bear about as much resemblance to beer as a McDonald's burger does to a real burger. That's fine if that's what you like, but, it ain't beer, any more than grape flavoured Kool-Aid is grape juice.

Btw: Heavily-hopped IPAs aren't the only craft beers available. Not by a long shot. There's every kind imaginable, incl. German-style lagers (what Bud pretends to be), stouts, etc.

This is all true, and I will confess to drinking a Bud when it is 96 degrees and 89% humidity and I have been outside for 5 hours. (I won't drink Bud Light, and I'd prefer to die than drink a Corona, though.)

But if Bud Light makes you happy, enjoy it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
IPAs have turned into "How much can I abuse your tongue" type brewing. I mean, jeebus, just go out and buy some craft chewing tobacco made out of Hops and let beer be beer!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6896 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Pretty harsh!

That's because the stuff is pretty bad.

Seriously: Try drinking one of those things at a temperature other than near-freezing, sometime. They're horrible.

Good beer tastes good all the way up to 55°F or so. In fact: Most of it shouldn't be served at temperatures much below 50°F. (That's where I've my beer fridge set.)

quote:
I do like an occasional IPA but these days I prefer an amber ale or a wheat beer like a hefeweizen.

Bell's Amber Ale, which is a real lightly-hopped ale, is what turned me on to good beer.

Wheat beers... don't usually do a lot for me.

quote:
Urban Chestnut Schnickelfritz is a good one.

I'll look for it. I'll try just about anything at least once Smile

quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I'll drink them and there's a few I really like. Founders makes one called "All Day IPA" that's nice and not overpowering.

That's my "everyday beer."

It's only about 30-40 calories more than the average "lite" beer, did you know that?

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
First - I love a good, bitter, IPA (think Stone IPA - the Green Label).

I also agree with the OP - a heavy IPA is not a "refreshing" summer beer.

I agree. I prefer really hoppy IPAs, but, sitting outside on a hot day, I like Bell's Oberon.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
IMHO the craft brewery craze grew out of the home brew movement. There is a reason many home brewers gained the moniker "HopHead". Now yes most mass produced America Lagers are light in taste, but consider how difficult it is to produce in such mass quantities a brew that must consistently taste the same with out the benefits of over powering amounts of hops, specialty malts, high alcohol content or other taste notes to mask any imperfection.
So are American beers like making love in a canoe? Ok sure, but sometimes an ice cold lager on a hot summer day beats an IPA, stout or porter. But just like drinking a Caberet with poached whitefish will not compliment the meal, or having a mint julep with a fine cigar, each has a time and place.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I totally agree! I was just saying yesterday as I sipped a new variety of Ballast Point, it was terrific! And not an IPA.
I was reminded that I never really liked IPA.
I prefer Belgian white, or Hefeweizen, or a lighter style.

I don't like most American beer either, too weak.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post