SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Global War?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Global War? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
So is that like when Cuba invited the Soviets to put missiles 90 miles offshore of the USA? Kennedy went hard.

You don’t think that Ukraine going to NATO has a similar kind of existential threat to Putin?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
So is that like when Cuba invited the Soviets to put missiles 90 miles offshore of the USA? Kennedy went hard.

You don’t think that Ukraine going to NATO has a similar kind of existential threat to Putin?

***Had to edit my thoughts a bit better*** - my typing sucks as well.

Sure it would force a move, but unless he goes to war, you are in the same place on the board just waiting for the invasion. Also doesn't Latvia and Estonia border Russia. They are NATO members if memory serves. Does having NATO on your border mean there is going to be an eminent conflict.

But bigger question should be, why not just have all parties agree that Ukraine is sovereign and will remain a neutral buffer between NATO and Russia. They can freely trade with whomever they choose, and elect whomever they choose. But all parties must remove all military from the rightful true borders immediately. So Russia would have to give Crimea back and stop the insurgency it is enabling in the north.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1106 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kennedy instituted a blockade. Other options were on the table.
The average American typfied by Chris

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Russia has a very poorly run economy, unless you at the top of the food chain in an energy company.
If Russia were to invade, the west applies severe sanctions.
So does Russia cut off Germany and other western countries? I kind of doubt it. That's their main source of income and the main source of income for the corrupt ruling class, Putin's friends. Putin's friends would be the biggest losers and they gain nothing by Putin raising his profile.

Putin is playing Biden like a fiddle and trying to regain the attention of the world. The only other card they have to play is the fact they have nukes.
That's a big one but they also know it's one that can never be used without likely ending their big party.

https://www.investopedia.com/a...doesnt-make-more.asp

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Quoting/paraphrasing General Jack Keane: If Putin decides to attack, and Biden actually enforces sanctions, the world will see its first cyber war.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not happening

next question

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
not happening

next question

---------------------------

Wager?

I’m looking to turn 20,000 into 400,000

~Robert A. Heinlein

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would not look to Kennedy as a good example. He was an amateur who over-reacted and almost started WWIII.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

I would not look to Kennedy as a good example. He was an amateur who over-reacted and almost started WWIII.

And Joemala is sharper somehow?

???

~Robert A. Heinlein

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
What will our role be in a global war? Brief.
We saw what a stupid virus did and is still doing to us. So just picture what some mass casualty events, some infrastructure destroyed and international shipping all but totally cut off would do. A couple months in and we'll be in societal breakdown. Anarchy and near civil war. Our enemies won't need to worry about us because we'll be fighting with ourselves. I'm not some "prepper" type dude, not even slightly, but it's not hard to picture.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quoting/paraphrasing General Jack Keane: If Putin decides to attack, and Biden actually enforces sanctions, the world will see its first cyber war.

Having some cash/silver/gold on hand at this time maybe be a good idea. And some extra gas for the generator.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Russia has a very poorly run economy, unless you at the top of the food chain in an energy company.
If Russia were to invade, the west applies severe sanctions.
So does Russia cut off Germany and other western countries? I kind of doubt it. That's their main source of income and the main source of income for the corrupt ruling class, Putin's friends. Putin's friends would be the biggest losers and they gain nothing by Putin raising his profile.

Keep in mind, Putin is a moderate in his own party. While he's been keeping the hawks at bay, these folks are very willing and eager to see some warfare with the West.

They're not big thinkers outside of satisfying their own ego and stoking the fires of the myths in their minds. They made sure when the coffins arrived from Georgia, Checnya and currently Ukraine, they arrived at night and without any families to receive them. These are the die-hards who look fondly back upon their decades past military successes while ignoring that a giant chunk of their fighting age males, are drug addicted gopniks swelling samogon daily.

Best scenario is Ukraine cleaves-off the Dombas and both sides end it there. Ukraine isn't equipped to go toe-to-toe, nor can they deal with an insurgency. As much as Moscow beats its chest, do they really want to deal with an insurgency in Kiev and Odesa?

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Appears that Putin will certainly invade now. I’m at 97% likely.
And yet I'd put my money on him 'not' invading. He'll get almost everything he wants in the end if he just holds out a while longer, and it won't cost him any $$$ and will bolster his credibility on the world stage. Biden and crew, the retards they are, are being played like a fiddle by the the Siberian, shirtless, dictator.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The left wing mainstream media has made Putin and Russia bigger than they are. And he is laughing because of it. Their economy is smaller than the state of California’s and as was said earlier, as the price of oil continues to rise their likelihood of an invasion decreases.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
The left wing mainstream media has made Putin and Russia bigger than they are.

Thanks to the show House of Cards, it was the favorite show of the progressive-managerial elites.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Speculation: Biden & Putin have an agreement. Russia won't invade, and they want to avoid Trump or someone like him being in the top job in 2024. Additionally, they find it easier dealing with the US with the leftists in Congress and have no wish to see a Republican majority in November.

So, Russia does not invade (and had no intention to invade) and Biden can then say 'Look what I did! I made the big bad Putin back off! I saved us from WWIII!'; and then rides that into the midterms and 2024. As a bonus, Ukraine is grateful for the reprieve and another few million $$ flow clandestinely into the Biden machine's coffers.

Or not.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Global War? Probably not yet. But the Chinese are watching what is going on in Europe right now...

I'd guess Putin is having trouble understanding why we are making a big deal about Ukraine. It is not important to the U.S. It is not important to Germany. Yet we threaten to destroy the Russian economy (removal from SWIFT, cut off Nordstream, etc.) if they take back Ukraine.

Might seem like overkill to Putin. He might have expected something proportionate.

So how does Putin evaluate Biden? Does he see him as weak, able to be backed down?

And how does Putin evaluate the Germans? They need Nordstream in the future and Russian natural gas now. If they cut off Nordstream, like we promised they would, they severely damage their economy. Their prosperous economy is how they control the EU and maintain the well-being of their people.

So there is a lot going on here. I'd have to guess Putin is focusing on trying to get Germany to split from the US - British point of view.

From the Chinese perspective -- is Ukraine more or less important than Taiwan to those feckless Americans?

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Putin invades. He knows how weak the NATO alliance is. He still wants to rebuild the former USSR for nothing more than to make him feel better about his little dick and big tiger hunting ego. He invades to watch Germany get stuck between their power needs and the sanctions that will follow and to make the US and potatus fumble everything. Its gonna be another Biden shitshow. Putin will take Ukraine and NATO will be divided. Gas prices will shoot up and make people in America more miserable. In short Putin takes Ukraine and makes life more difficult. Putin feels good about the worse western economies and Biden doesn't get reelected because of the increasing misery index. Yeah, in the end Putin maybe doing us a big favor. Who cares about Ukraine anyway? Just another crooked eastern block nation.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, if war kicks off, there can't be a draft. How many citizens are going to be drafted and allow all the illegals to be left in country ? Appears western society is on the edge and it would not take much for it all to descend into anarchy. Perfect excuse to eliminate the existing culture

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post