SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WWIV - likely? Soon?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WWIV - likely? Soon? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted
What are your thoughts on the current organization against the west by Russia/Putin and China/Xi?

Modern Russia has often use the Olympics as timing for an invasion. Seems like we’re getting a big middle finger from those 2 fellas and that Taiwan will happen within 30 days.

How do you not take advantage of a Biden at the helm of America?

This is extremely difficult to watch. You?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I'm just sitting here wondering what happened to WWIII and how I missed it.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:

Really… The past 20 years since 9/11 just blew right by you?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:

Uhhhh…what?

Since when was that ever considered WWIII?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
quote:

Uhhhh…what?

Since now

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
Seems likely Russia will take Ukraine. They are not in NATO and no one in Europe owes them any defense. Putin knows this and knows we will not get into a shooting war with him. Nuclear powers cannot fight face to face, ever. We may advise Ukraine and send them money/arms, but getting American soldiers killed over this could very likely lead to Biden getting removed from office. The 10,000-ish troops we have there now are a minor deterrent that Russia will likely ignore.

China could take Taiwan too, but only if they can without having to destroy want they want - the chip fabs. Taiwan would be smart to tell China that any invasion will result in the self-destruction of the fabs.

Taiwan has never declared independence or sovereignty. Taiwan is where Chiang Kai Shek, leader of the Republic of China from 1928 to 1949, and his government went after Mao and the communists took over. Interestingly, the ROC was favored by the coastal elites involved in international trade, while the CCP and PRC came from the interior and were supported by the poor farmers. After exiling to Taiwan, Chiang never conceded to Mao and declared his was the rightful government of China until his death in 1975.

Taiwan has been in a state of limbo ever since. Carter screwed things up by nullifying an earlier defense treaty, refusing to refer to Taiwan as the ROC, and refusing to guaranty any defense in case of PRC attack. The US agreed to supply arms to Taiwan, and use embargoes, boycotts, and other economic actions against China as needed.

My guess would be he did this to favor Deng Xiao Ping and his reforms in the PRC that started opening up the country to foreign investment. But like his other foreign policy policies and those of his ilk (Obama, Biden) he favored communists and terrorists every single time.

We aren't going to get in a shooting war with China over Taiwan either, because China is a nuclear power. So that does increase the odds of a two-front attack coordinated with Russia just to embarrass the US even more than it already is with Biden in office.

And if Biden embargoes Chinese goods coming into the US, he will be investigated and impeached just like Trump. Too many companies in the US with too much money and too many connections in government and media depend on imports of goods from China, and exports when it comes to media (movies) and professional sports. The more I watch how this is playing out the more I realize that this single action of Trump - increasing tariffs against China and speaking of taking manufacturing back from them - is THE reason the media/tech/business/deep state had to get him out of office. Had he not done this, he likely would still be President. Border security, lower taxes, energy independence, and loosening of regulations were all good for business (or at worst indifferent) and the economy and we had a good run for a few years. CEO's and boards of directors were happy, profits were up, stock market was up, etc. But the threat of significantly increased costs for Chinese goods was bad for them - too much risk if Trump stayed in office.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Good answer, Lefty Sig.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Uhhhh…what?

Since now

Since never. Confused

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
My thread, my count.

How long and how many countries have to be involved before you officially declare a war, a world war?

It’s a tertiary issue in this thread anywho …

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
It’s not only how many countries but how many different places at once. How big a region.

But yes, your thread.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yet you literally put it in the thread title Roll Eyes

This is silly, YOU don’t get to just decide that the past 20+ years was “WWIII”

I’m out.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yet you literally put it in the thread title Roll Eyes

This is silly, YOU don’t get to just decide that the past 20+ years was “WWIII”

I’m out.

Lol ty

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Lots of Navy jets flying around the 757. Sure there is always jet noise in the 757 but it’s not always like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How disappointing. I thought this was gonna be about Wrestling. I guess the thread title fooled me.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If I were an enemy of America yeah I’d probably take advantage of a potato being president of the USA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Lots of Navy jets flying around the 757. Sure there is always jet noise in the 757 but it’s not always like this.

Used to see the F/A18s zoom over the base golf-course out to the ship. Spent some time in Norfolk/Newport News.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
a potato being president of the USA.

You fools voted for that idiot, not me.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t think many people here voted for the potato. I sure as fuck didn’t.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
a potato being president of the USA.

You fools voted for that idiot, not me.

Say what, brah?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post