SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Global War?
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Global War? Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Here's a good one to keep an eye on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/

Appreciate it. I'll check it out.

In the meantime, I need to finish watching Serenity...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
For those like me that wanted some history that was easy to digest:

Do the members with more direct info agree with at least some of it?
After seeing WION posted here 2 or 3 times, I thought I was all alone tuning in. I listen to Palky Sharma every day just a bit.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Does the poor performance of Russia’s equipment and military embolden China?

It seems China wants and needs resources and land. If they look east, could Russia really defend their western territory? And if not, does China risk a conflict with Russia based upon what they have seen in the Ukraine?

I’m starting to think that Putin not only overplayed his hand in the Ukraine but in the far west as well.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Does the poor performance of Russia’s equipment and military embolden China?

What poor performance? According to who? Seems to me we really have no idea the state of things right now.

Putin reportedly amassed near 190,000 troops on Ukraine’s border, and so far only about 50,000 made incursion into the country. He's trying to limit collateral damage is my suspicion. Russia took two more cities this morning according to reports.

Despite all the pro-Ukraine/anti-Russia propaganda, Russia would seem to be on track to take the country within 30-60 days.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reports from Russian social media are some Russian troops are slowing the movement by draining fuel tanks of their vehicles. The fuel is being given to the Ukrainians.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, ok.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
The way this is going, I’d not be surprised if a top General doesn’t put a round in Putin’s coconut.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
This isn't what the news portrays at all. Consider that Putin has already offered negotiations and is working to make that happen soon.

It reflects most of the intended goals were already achieved in the first few days.

There is also the massive amount of comical misinformation in the main stream media, typical for them. It's been said that for every three reports coming out of the Ukraine, four are seriously misleading.

I'm glad to see that international figures are lining up in support of the Ukraine now, having George Soros and Charles Schwab backing the Ukraine effort settles any confusion I had.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reports from Russian social media are some Russian troops are slowing the movement by draining fuel tanks of their vehicles. The fuel is being given to the Ukrainians.

^^^^^^^^^
I am skeptical of these reports. Hope they are true. There have been demonstrations in Saint Petersburg against the invasion.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
It reflects most of the intended goals were already achieved in the first few days.

Or none of them were and he's trying to save face.

quote:
I'm glad to see that international figures are lining up in support of the Ukraine now,

Ukraine. Not "THE" Ukraine. Do you say the Mexico, or the Canada, or the France, or the Brazil? Or the Japan? I'm guessing no.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s simply a matter of convention. The following are common:

The United Arab Emirates
The Czech Republic
The Netherlands
The Philippines
The Bahamas
And even “I was born in the United States.”

The below article points out that the “the” was dropped from the “proper” name of Ukraine at the insistence of the country itself. Just like “Kyiv” that disturbs some people here is preferred rather than the traditional Kiev.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18233844

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Those are all plural. Ukraine is singular.

It's proper English.

quote:
And even “I was born in the United States.”

But were you born in the Colorado?

No. The Colorado territory perhaps, but not the Colorado. Singular proper nouns shouldn't have "the".

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Was Ukraine plural before the country wanted “the” dropped and now it is singular?
The Czech Republic, and The Gambia are plural names?

And the “plural” rule make, “The guns in my collection are all pistols,” but “SIG I’m carrying is a P320” proper English?

Glad we got that straightened out. (But no, there are many conventions whose rules have exceptions or aren’t really rules at all.) Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Edited to clarify.

Now I'll bet that somebody will pull out their dusty copy of Strunk & White and prove me wrong. Big Grin

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The below article points out that the “the” was dropped from the “proper” name of Ukraine at the insistence of the country itself.
For very good reason: "The Ukraine" was the way Russia referred to the country when it was still part of the USSR. Since it became an independent country it wants it emphasized it's an independent country, not a region of something bigger.

I've a friend who's Ukrainian. He objected, vehemently, to "The Ukraine" even while Ukraine was still part of the USSR.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
The way this is going, I’d not be surprised if a top General doesn’t put a round in Putin’s coconut.

If enough other powerful people in Russia see their money draining away and they see his ego as the cause of all of this, he could have a problem.
He is skilled in the world he lives in, but it's a rough neighborhood and they play for keeps.

Stalin was a tough guy too.
https://www.nytimes.com/2003/0...in-was-poisoned.html

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
For very good reason: "The Ukraine" was the way Russia referred to the country when it was still part of the USSR. Since it became an independent country it wants it emphasized it's an independent country, not a region of something bigger.

Which is how it should be: Nations’ names are what they want them to be, just like individuals’. In the case of individuals governments often have rules about things like identity documents, but if I want to be known informally as Sigfreund the Magnificent, that’s my prerogative. You don’t have to call me that any more than you must call me by my “legal” name, but I don’t have to respond to anything else either. I know any number of people who expect to be called by names that are not on their birth certificates.

And conversely about nation names, consider this example: Put “France” in the English side of an online translator and see how it renders the word in French. (Spoiler: it’s La France, or literally The France.) Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The below article points out that the “the” was dropped from the “proper” name of Ukraine at the insistence of the country itself.

I've a friend who's Ukrainian. He objected, vehemently, to "The Ukraine" even while Ukraine was still part of the USSR.

I can confirm that history books in English used to call the area/region as "the Ukraine" which did seem unusual at first.

I have heard that the origin of the use of 'the' here is that the word 'ukraine' means 'border' (in the sense of 'edge of a region', not 'guest') in Russian. So 'the border' became 'the ukraine'. I don't speak Russian or Ukranian so can't confirm.

Assuming one grants the locality the ability to define what correct is for their territory, English has been known to change. This has happened recently, from Cambodia, Peking, Bombay, Calcutta, Canton, etc. so why not go with the locals in dropping the 'the' here?

Of course, you could then ask...if we go with the locals, why is it still "Moscow" instead of the local "Moskva" and why is it "Munich" instead of "Műnchen" and so on....

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I find it interesting, this discussion. No, the Russians wouldn’t have used the definitive article “the” to refer to the Ukraine, since the Russian language doesn’t have any definitive, nor indefinite, articles in their language. Neither does Ukrainian, for that matter, so it’s likely that your Ukrainian friend dislikes the construct “the Ukraine” simply because it is an unnatural construct to his ear. This is why you hear Slavic language speakers say “We go get car” when they speak English.

If anything, the Ukrainians should be pleased that their country warrants the definitive article. Regardless, it’s a part of our language, not theirs, and it’s the way convention has developed. The Brits say “hospital” and Americans say “the hospital.” We all understand each other’s meaning.

It’s my language. I’ll say “the Ukraine” because I have always done so. I’ll also say Kiev. I don’t give two craps that that it is how the Russians say it. I’m not doing some crazy diphthong maneuver with my tongue just so I can virtue signal my support of the Ukrainians by saying Kyiv differently than I always have.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's pretty clear Putin miscalculated here. He expected the Ukrainians to quickly fold, change sides and embrace the Russian troops as liberators. That's not exactly the way this is playing out.

I don't believe the Russian military planned for serious opposition or a protected war.

The Russians will regroup now and attempt to do this the old fashioned way. They will bludgeon the Ukranians with superior numbers and firepower.

Still, even if the Russians take Kiev and depose the Ukrainian government, they are going to have a hard time controlling all of Ukraine.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post