SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To all of my Sig Forum family in Florida be safe and get ready ( update main page, here we go again 11-07-2022)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To all of my Sig Forum family in Florida be safe and get ready ( update main page, here we go again 11-07-2022) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just talked to my son in Ft Myers, he said the rain is coming down pretty hard. And, yes, looks like the eye of the storm will pass over Charlotte County and miss both my son and us (up here in Pinellas).

We lived on the water in St Pete for over 20 years and, just before I retired, we downsized, sold the waterfront house, bought a smaller, more modest house on the west side of our county, between St Pete and Clearwater. Once in a while I tell a friend or my wife I miss our old place, but things like a hurricane make me realize how fortunate we are to be here.

I have been a bit under the weather and my Vietnamese daughters are both here from Philly and Houston to make sure my wife is taking care of me. Now the airport is closed and there ain't no place to go play so they are stuck here with the two old folks, raining, no stores open, just Dad's stories they've heard before. I'm enjoying it 'cause they make the best Vietnamese food and coffee. But, they are kinda bored.

Bob

Posts: 1682 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I saw water up to the bottom of a stop sign in Sanibel and a shark going down the street in Naples on the NBC 2 stream. My gosh...

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
If you go to mysanibel.com and click on cameras
Ian unfolds in real time.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1101 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I saw water up to the bottom of a stop sign in Sanibel and a shark going down the street in Naples on the NBC 2 stream. My gosh...

Is that the same news team doing reports a few hurricanes ago, while paddling a canoe and locals waded by, ankle deep behind them?

Posts: 16223 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:

Posts: 24369 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
There went the power at the hotel. With no TV and no internet through the hotel, Verizon cellular is down to .8mpbs from 50 when we first got in our room. I’m going to add a transistor radio to our kit. My old android LG phone had an FM radio built in.

Posts: 11705 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing NBC 2 lost power since the stream is down?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have nine employees up and down the west coast. Fr

From Tampa to Ft. Myers. The Fort Myers person stopped responded to texts a couple hours ago.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Ryan Hall Y'all on youtube is a good weather reporter - multiple storm chasers sending in reports. Good Luck to all.

Posts: 4833 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Late fishing boat departure

Yikes.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12727 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Late fishing boat departure

Yikes.

May be unmanned.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank double sharp I am going to check him out.

The regular channels are over the top.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Could someone post a current radar picture? I can’t get one to load. Even the forum is really slow. I’m just trying to understand where Ian is in relation to my dad’s house, a friend of my wife’s house, and how much longer. Thank you.

Posts: 11705 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Checking in from between Clermont and Groveland (20 mi. NW of the Mouse). East wind rain.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12959 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31472 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Could someone post a current radar picture? I can’t get one to load. Even the forum is really slow. I’m just trying to understand where Ian is in relation to my dad’s house, a friend of my wife’s house, and how much longer. Thank you.

Came ashore at Ft. Myers, at roughly 4:30 Wednesday, moving NNE in the general direction of Orlando at 8 mph, max sustained winds 140 mph as a Major Storm. Expected to be over Orlando area daybreak Thursday as a Hurricane, which will continue moving toward the vicinity of Daytona exiting the state mid to late afternoon Thursday as a Tropical Storm. The track across the state is a relatively straight line from Ft. Myers to Daytona.

Conditions 30 miles west of downtown Orlando right now are sustained winds around 30 with gusts to 40 and moderate rainfall. We have taken about 1.5 inches since the show started. Still have power at 5:35 with just a couple of flickers.

Our barn is full as neighbors have trailered horses in to weather it out here. Barn is concrete block and has a good roof. We are west of the Central Florida Ridge but I don't expect any flooding at the house or barn level. Lake will be some kind of full when this is over, though.

This thing isn't kidding, and I sincerely hope things don't get too interesting as the night progresses.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12959 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
So far, so good here in Auburndale. It's slated to be a CAT-1 or a tropical storm by the time it hits me (2AM-ish). Hoping it fizzles out quicker. Still have power (knock on wood) but have had a couple of power flickers in the last hour. I'm thinking we'll be in the dark any time now.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5534 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Could someone post a current radar picture?

From accuweather.com at 5:26p.m.

Posts: 16223 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That radar pics looks horrific

According to my13news (which I looked up about 10 minutes ago) the storm should hit west of my parents place around 1400hrs on Thursday

They are in Lake County (The Villages, Lessburg, Fruitland Park) so they are only supposed to get 60-80mph winds and lots of rain. My mom said they are under a Tropical Storm warning not the hurricane.

I spoke to my parents on the 27th of Sept at 1500hrs.
My sister left the Pinellas area and is going to stay with my parents at the Brownwood Hotel and Spa.

According to my dad the owner reduced all the rooms to under a $100. My uncle and his wife stayed there earlier in the year and said it was incredible.

My dad is worried about their house/trailer etc... (These are nothing like the double wides I used to respond to as a Police officer/Sheriff)

Posts: 1838 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Thank you RichardC.

This is not Charley. The wind has finally changed direction at the hotel, but it’s just as strong as it was 4 hours ago. My house lost power hours ago, so I can’t see the cameras. Right now, I’m trying reassure my wife and three kids that we’ll be fine even if our house is gone.