SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To all of my Sig Forum family in Florida be safe and get ready ( update main page, here we go again 11-07-2022)
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To all of my Sig Forum family in Florida be safe and get ready ( update main page, here we go again 11-07-2022) Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
In a calmer moment here. 7:00 am

From windy.com:

Thanks for the link, 1967Goat!

8 am: Morning daylight. Kite flying wind, light drizzle. Leaves and small branches. High water levels in ponds and ditches. Some flooding in road low spots.
Still have power at home and business 2 miles away.

No obvious trees down, roofs damaged, etc.

Not bad for the first half; we'll see what the second half brings.

I wish I had a Red Ryder, I'd shoot Ian in the eye.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My brother just texted me & said he has some branches to clean up in the yard. Otherwise he's gtg. His son, who had to evacuate his house close to Ft. Myers, went to check on the damage to his house on his way to work at 2AM. He said after a good search, the only damage he can see with the spotlight is a bunch of shingles missing.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I went to check on my place, all good. I got a little water in under a door but it was barely anything. No power yet though. There are a lot of trees, fences and signs down, but considering the storm we got what I saw looks pretty good.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
All good here this morning. We have a few small trees down in the neighborhood, but after a brief drive around the neighborhood, I don't see any homes damaged in the HOA. All the overflow ponds are full but not overflowing. My house suffered zero damage, from what I can see.

All the port-a-johns in the developing areas of the community are toppled. Someone's got a lot of poop cleaning to do!

Miraculously, we didn't lose ANY power!

Good to hear everyone else is doing well.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5402 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
All good here in Orlando.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
The Causeway is destroyed in multiple places. They are going to have to bring back the ferry. That will take a long time to fix.

https://twitter.com/mlathrop11...ZcgwqRIwVFlMiU1cVI_g

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Good between Clermont and Groveland. Kept power on, no damage, lots of rain but no flooding.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Causeway is destroyed in multiple places. They are going to have to bring back the ferry. That will take a long time to fix.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In my experience this takes about two years. Hopefully they will build it better and higher and pay attention to aesthetics.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In my experience this takes about two years. Hopefully they will build it better and higher and pay attention to aesthetics.

That's a long time to have that island cut off from the rest of the world. They will have to use a ferry system again.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our county was cut off from the adjoining counties for two years after Katrina. Government funding is slow and bids have to be sent out. What was a three minute drive then became one and half hours.
You learn to live with it. Becomes second nature with time.

It took three years to rebuild the Dauphin Island Bridge after Hurricane Frederic. Bill Patronas, Dauphin Island's oldest male native, helped to cut the ribbon on the newly constructed bridge on July 19, 1982.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
We were fortunate to be well south of the center but did lose power at 1am. Still not back yet but I imagine FPL is very busy this morning. Hooked up the generator and all is well. Other than that some small stuff and limbs in the yard to pick up.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
All good here in Tampa. We have a bunch of debris and several large trees down in our immediate neighborhood.

Seems like a lot of the developments around ours are without power but we only had a few flickers.

Very grateful given what it could have been.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CNN put Don Lemon out in the storm. Conveying false information as to climate change causing stronger hurricanes. Even confronted the Director of the NHC on the matter. Went on about how he grew up in Florida and he knew more than the NHC.

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Lost power around 1:40 am and still without it.
Damage to my fence and a lot of little tree branches down.
Water leak in my roof possibly from wind driven rain on my ridge vent.
Took some of the boards off the windows so we are not sitting in the dark.
Still a little windy here with light rain on and off.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2572 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Anyone really close to Haines City? Have a friend that has a place there any is going to relocate there soon. Was there much damage there?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
A family house in Ft Myers Villages has minor roof damage but More serious siding damage and alumian awing and small fence section are gone. No one is living there as it was my grandmother and she passed away.
The neighbor across the street entire back of the house is gone.

Wishing everyone down that way is ok.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
BTW most policies cover fences. Looks like you got off pretty light. Get a blue tarp for the roof damage. It is usually about three months for an insurance adjuster to arrive, so be patient. Having a roof means you are eligible for electric restoration.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
I figure our place (10 miles N of Arcadia) is pretty close to being under the eye of it right now. I'm usually an optimist but I am concerned this time. It's a manufactured home and Ian is currently a Cat 3. Not a good combination.

Was finally able to talk to some in our community there today. Nobody injured and my place survived undamaged. My parents place has some minor damage that I think can wait until I planned to go down there in mid October.
Others in the community weren't so lucky. Several totaled homes. All considered I think we were lucky to have nobody hurt.
They say it looks like a war zone and the pictures I've seen support that statement.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
TL: DR - We’re ok. I hope everyone else is as well.

We’re up in Sarasota atm getting supplies. No power or cellular service at our house. There’s no debris line on or property which means we had no water over or seawall.

Our house is ok. My dad’s house lost all its soffit and rain was pushed inside the attic soaking the insulation and collapsing the ceiling in three places.

There’s a lot of rain flooding in the area. I can’t hardly believe it, but the damage that Charley did was more severe. Ian being so much larger will have more damage in total. I suspect the houses being built/rebuilt and roofs installed to current code after Charley has a lot to do with it. Charley demolished a lot of old poorly constructed/maintained structures.

Of course the news crews found the trailer park. Their crews, trucks, and equipment are blocking some roads. It makes for good TV though.

We listened to the radio on the way up to Sarasota and it sounds like storm surge really did a number on the barrier islands south of us down to Fort Myers Beach and some in Fort Myers as well.

We left our hotel at 4:00am because not only was there no power, but no water as well. We drove to Moore Haven. I figure the Love’s there would be open, it was.

Weather wise, it’s the nicest day we’ve had in 9 months. The air is dry, high was about 78. Great day for hurricane clean up. We’re going to be busy with that. Trees need sawing, people need helping and such.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
I thought you would surely get hammered given the damage Charley delivered to Punta Gorda. Glad you were spared and still standing.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post