SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To all of my Sig Forum family in Florida be safe and get ready ( update main page, here we go again 11-07-2022)
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To all of my Sig Forum family in Florida be safe and get ready ( update main page, here we go again 11-07-2022) Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I drove through Harbor Heights and Port Charlotte and a lot of the older 60's and 70's houses lost their roofs.

My dad lives in Harbor Heights and I live in Port Charlotte. Ya, they’re a mess. Even newer homes. The brand new house being built next to my dad’s lost a bunch of shingles and that roof was installed only two weeks ago. One of my neighbors is one of the eye doctors that advertises on TV all the time, he’s got a really nice house that had one of those metal roofs that look like tile. The metal panels were completely stripped off the north and east facing portions of his roof.

We don’t have internet except through our phones. My 16yo son starts classes at FSW again on Wednesday. His Chem Lab and one day of his English Comp are online plus all his homework, quizzes, and tests are turned in online. His textbooks are all online as well. I have no idea how that’s going to work out. Rumor has it that internet hasn’t been restored to the campus, yet.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The schools will work it out. For a few weeks lost they will cut out holidays or extend the school day. My daughter was out for two months her Senior year but managed to graduate and get into the college of her choice. They had to use Porta Potties at graduation since the Coliseum had so much damage. It was a hard time, but I think my kids learned what Resiliency meant. I am sure things will work out for your kids.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Oh my gosh...the Sanibel Causeway is almost operational. That is unreal...

https://twitter.com/chbstone2/.../1579881435963351046

This posts says emergency vehicles are crossing it today

https://twitter.com/JimmyPatro.../1579892936745291776

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Sanibel, Florida
October 11, 2022
(239) 472-3700

CITY OF SANIBEL HURRICANE IAN RECOVERY UPDATE - OCTOBER 11, 2022

KEY MESSAGES FROM THE 5 P.M. FACEBOOK LIVE UPDATE

Sanibel Causeway
Today, Governor Ron DeSantis was at Punta Rassa and announced that temporary repairs to the Sanibel Causeway allowed a convoy of power restoration equipment, supplies, and crews to access Sanibel to continue restoration efforts.
Click here to access the Facebook Live announcement from Governor DeSantis
Once crews are on the island, the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) will resume repairs to restore bridge access to the island for residents. The repairs are expected to be complete by the end of this month.
Click here to see video of the Convoy arriving on Sanibel.
Click here to see video of the convoy driving on Periwinkle.

Sanibel Police
Curfew in effect 7:00pm – 7:00pm. Residents are reminded to not be on the streets.
HURRICANE PASS MUST HANG FROM THE REARVIEW MIRROR AT ALL TIMES
Speed limits are 30 mph on most streets: 35 mph on Periwinkle Way and San-Cap Road. The Police Chief is asking motorists to slow down and be aware of your surroundings if you have to drive on island.
There are currently no public fuel sources on the island.
Contact the Sanibel Police Department to report unauthorized entry or trespass.

Sanibel Fire
Fire suppression is defensive only.
Beginning today – Sanibel Fire and Rescue will return to 24-hour coverage. Crews will be positioned at Station 1 (171) and 2 (172) during the day and only Station 1 at night.
EMS Services – Same as above.

Natural Resources
Two coyotes spotted on Dixie Beach Road today.
The US Coast Guard urges the public to report observations of oil spills and discharges of hazardous materials to the National Response Center: 800-424-8802

Public Works
Additional resources from Jacksonville Electrical Authority (JEA), through mutual aid agreement, are ON ISLAND and include several construction crews, lift station technicians, electricians, generators, and bypass pumps. Work to begin Wednesday.
City staff started to fill in eroded areas at the end of Bailey Road.
City Staff started working on debris removal at Community Park.

Building Permits
Questions asked by residents in tonight’s briefing related to permitting and reconstruction efforts are being reviewed by the City’s incoming Building Official. Responses will be included in an upcoming news release and live briefing.

KEY MESSAGES FROM CITY OF SANIBEL PARTNERS

Island Water
All main lines reactivated to Sanibel and Captiva.
Keep meter boxes clear from trash and debris piles.
Billing questions – go to Islandwater.com

LCEC
350 trucks and 50 pieces of equipment arrived on Sanibel today via the Causeway.
Base camp will be completed Wednesday; 500 line crew expected to arrive by Wednesday.
Command center is located at the Big Arts parking lot (city owned).

Comcast
Current estimate for restoration is December 16, 2022.

Sanibel Resident Mail
Sanibel residents may pick up mail at the Jetport Loop Mail Facility (14080 Jetport Loop, Fort Myers)
Hours: 9:00am – 4:00pm, Monday – Saturday

CITY OPERATIONS:
The City of Sanibel is operating from a temporary City Hall located at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at Bell Tower (13051 Bell Tower Drive, Fort Myers)

Phone numbers:
239-472-3700 - Main City Hall number
239-603-7261 - Temporary Hurricane Ian number

Hours of Operation:
Call Center: Monday – Sunday, 8:00am – 5:00pm
Information Desk: Monday – Saturday, 8:00am – 5:00pm
Hurricane Re-entry Passes: Monday – Saturday, 8:00am – 5:00pm

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Update on main post.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is what we call a nuisance storm. Certainly not Ian. It is quite large and will make things windy for most of Florida.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post