SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To all of my Sig Forum family in Florida be safe and get ready ( update main page, here we go again 11-07-2022)
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To all of my Sig Forum family in Florida be safe and get ready ( update main page, here we go again 11-07-2022) Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Huge respect for the Lee County sheriff.

To looting he said we will hunt you down and if your lucky you will go to jail...

Skip to about the 2-minute mark for the fun stuff.

https://fb.watch/fS6-MHoyYU/

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16454 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Anyone really close to Haines City? Have a friend that has a place there any is going to relocate there soon. Was there much damage there?

I have friends in Haines City. They lost power but no damage. They live by the Walmart on 27.

I hope your friend knows the traffic in Haines City is absolutely awful on 27 and at 27 & I4. When I stay with my friends, I have to be careful of my arrival and departure times.

Posts: 13317 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Thanks Edmond. Elderly man relocating so I'm glad he'll have a home to return to.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1907 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
East Orlando is a dichotomy. Small pockets of houses without power. Houses near lakes especially in older communities have flooding... some worse than others. Houses near the Little Econ river have severe flood conditions as that river is (my estimate) more than 8' above its banks.

My house and business seem to have escaped with minor inconvenience. Business is open today but abbreviated hours. My staff seemed relieved to be requested to work (if they could make it) I took some generators to those who are without power.

(Secretly I cannot understand why a person who lives in FL would not have at least a small generator of some sort.)

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
East Orlando is a dichotomy. Small pockets of houses without power. Houses near lakes especially in older communities have flooding... some worse than others. Houses near the Little Econ river have severe flood conditions as that river is (my estimate) more than 8' above its banks.

My house and business seem to have escaped with minor inconvenience. Business is open today but abbreviated hours. My staff seemed relieved to be requested to work (if they could make it) I took some generators to those who are without power.

(Secretly I cannot understand why a person who lives in FL would not have at least a small generator of some sort.)

I dropped mine off to a friend in Maitland (wife and two small kids) as I didnt lose power. In the grand scheme of things, a generator and transfer switch aint a ton of money. Then again, my little Honda inverter that can run my fridge and a few other things is even less and doesn't take up much space at all.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9752 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The same reason that people refuse to evacuate. Denial.

Posts: 17543 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Or procrastination. “I’ll get it next hurricane season” and when it comes time to get it, it’s too late and they’re all gone.

Posts: 13317 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Not all, but most of these events are not as bad as the msm makes them sound. I realize lots of folks have significant issues (damage and loss)
But nothing like the msm was predicting Roll Eyes

Thank goodness. Hope all can recover soon and get back to normal.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19798 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Altamonte Springs (Seminole County) here, maybe 50 to 100 yards north of the Orlando (Orange County) line, maybe 1/4 mile east of the eastern end of the 414 Toll Road.

Lost power around 10:00 pm Wednesday evening, restored about 10:45 am today (Friday) morning. Cell service was intermittent, mostly none, but when there was any it was weak and slow. Back to normal, now. Had a cup of hot coffee, really good! Will take a shower shortly, all will be well with the world.

Current conditions: sunny, moderate temperature, beautiful autumn day. If I were still a motorcycle rider, weather would be perfect for a ride.

Some yard debris from fallen palm fronds etc. Have not been out to do a detailed survey, but a quick look indicates no real damage.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31472 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
"Not all, but most of these events are not as bad as the msm makes them sound. I realize lots of folks have significant issues (damage and loss)
But nothing like the msm was predicting" Roll Eyes

Tell that to the folks on Sanibel and Ft Myers

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1101 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I knew someone would gloss over my post and make this kind of comment. Might want to re-read it. Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19798 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damage estimates will be in the billions. Takes a while for the reports to come in. One life lost will be too many.

Posts: 17543 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

I knew someone would gloss over my post and make this kind of comment. Might want to re-read it. Roll Eyes
You mean the part that says "I realize lots of folks have significant issues (damage and loss)?" Yeah, the "critical" poster might have missed that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31472 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Edmond, he lived there for years and relocated to Kansas a few years ago. His wife recently died and he wants to move back there so he's very familiar with the area. I'm just glad he'll have a place to return to.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1907 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Well my wife and I are back to modern civilization. Power went back on today. We were lucky to only have lost power for around 36 hours.
Yesterday and this morning we removed all the boards from our windows,cleaned the yard and made temporary repairs to our fence.
We are some of the lucky ones. I have not heard or seen any of the damage to the southwest side of the state. A friend told us what she saw on the news was total devastation in some areas. We also have not heard a death toll but I am sure there will be one.
We have had a large number of people move to Florida since our last major hurricane and may not have been properly prepared. Hopefully, like we learned back in 2004 with hurricane Charlie be prepared. Luckily for us having moved from New Jersey and living through major snow storms we always keep some supplies in the house at all times but for hurricane Charlie we could have been better prepared.
To my sig forum family,I wish those impacted by this or any other storm be safe and a quick recovery.
Please, for those who had a lot of damage occasionally let us know how you are doing.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2644 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I took another drive today here in Sarasota county and it’s worse than I saw yesterday on my short drive. There are still trees down on top of power lines. I’m surprised those haven’t been removed. There is still a large section of area without power. I still have none and there has been zero update. The FPL site still says I have power and has not been updated since before the storm. They said yesterday that sections of the grid need rebuilt but didn’t give any details or estimated timeline. I’m a little frustrated they aren’t telling us more. I know they don’t know everything, but they aren’t saying anything of any value at all. They definitely know more than they are saying.

I think it’s going to be a long time before I get power back.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some experience with power restoration. FPL has a plan. They get hospitals and essential services back first while doing a damage assessment. Then it is neighborhood by neighborhood. We always have at least fifty Aplundh crews whose sole job is removing trees from lines. If there is a tree on line FPL will not touch it. The system rebuilds may take months. It sucks I know, but at least it is not mid summer. They are concerned with restoration not necessarily notifying customers of progress.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I have some experience with power restoration. FPL has a plan. They get hospitals and essential services back first while doing a damage assessment. Then it is neighborhood by neighborhood. We always have at least fifty Aplundh crews whose sole job is removing trees from lines. If there is a tree on line FPL will not touch it. The system rebuilds may take months. It sucks I know, but at least it is not mid summer. They are concerned with restoration not necessarily notifying customers of progress.

I’m quite aware of all of that. I also doubt that every single person can possibly be focused on restoration though. There are marketing people and admins that could pass on some info. Someone is updating the website, they can update it with better info. I don’t expect exact details, but you know there’s a huge difference between a day, a week and a month and while FPL might not know if my neighborhood will be up in a day or two, they probably know if it’s closer to a day or a month. I’m just trying to make plans for my family and any info would be valuable.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you are aware but you missed some stuff. ALL marketing people etc are on duty doing things to support the mission. Things like washing the lineman's clothes, preparing meals etc. They really have no idea when your house will get electricity. There is on one to answer your call personally. Try and be patient. I have been through this many times. I seriously doubt a complete assessment has been done as of yet. It is a lot more complicated than you realize.
If I were you I would leave town for awhile if you have the means.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Granddaughter in Fort Myers @FGCU.
Grandson in Orlando @UCF.

Johnny,

Do you have an update on your grandkids?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9752 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post