SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Tri-tip. Paired it with coleslaw and some garlic/parm spuds.

Looks great, what did you season that tri tip with?

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1730 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^ That's my homemade tri-tip rub.

3 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp cayenne (or less if you prefer)

Posts: 20069 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Charc side! dun dun dun da de-dun da de-dun

We have the meats.

Posts: 10905 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I didn’t put one of my probes in right. I figured I’d fix it later, so I just left it alone. The resulting graph though is interesting. It shows that the temperature closer to the surface of the meat stalled sooner than the temperature deeper in the meat. I’m still thinking about what that means in terms of trying to speed up the process.

Posts: 10905 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Jerky day.

I found this recipe for Dr. Pepper jalapeno jerky awhile back and have been using it exclusively. It's very good, but I add a lot more jalapeno and use freeze dried vs. fresh. I struggled for years with jerky because I despise soy sauce. Try finding a recipe without it though. This one doesn't have any of that nastiness included.

Steaming in the bag.

The folks at work like it when jerky day rolls around.

Posts: 20069 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I hope someone here can give me some guidance on a BBQ project I have coming up this weekend.

Background: My son is a varsity wrestler in HS, and this Saturday is their end-of-year banquet. I am very fond of the team, so I volunteered to smoke brisket for the event. Then I found out there are 80 people expected to come, many more than I expected. I have an offset stick burner that will handle 60-70 lbs. of meat, an online meat calculator said I should cook 40lbs. raw brisket to feed that many. The wife and I bought 56 lbs, because online meat calculators don't understand wrestlers. I have smoked brisket many times, but this is moving into commercial food service territory, and I would like to get some advice.

Problem/question: the feast begins at noon, so to cook the meat, let it rest and transport, I probably need to start smoking at 10-11pm the night before, which means I won't get much sleep. So, is there anyway I can cook the meat the day before, and still serve it in mouth-watering tender deliciousness? Of course, brisket is great in any form, but I want to deliver the best for my boys.

Aside: In addition to the brisket, I plan on smoking 20 lbs., or so of chicken thighs, just in case some one doesn't like brisket ( Eek), but they only take a couple of hours, so no big deal. I also have a pellet grill I can put into service, if needed.

The brisket will be transported whole, wrapped in butcher paper and old bath towels, stuffed into some coolers to keep them warm, and sliced on site.

Thoughts?

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4875 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
It's not ideal but I have cooked brisket the night before and rewarmed the next day for serving. Everyone loved it and said they couldn't tell the difference but I could and that's what matters to me. I rested it over night in Cambro's. Rewarmed it in the oven the next day at 200 for a couple hours and then sliced for serving. Don't slice before rewarming.

You can rewarm in your smoker to at low temp don't try to reheat to quickly.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Thanks, lastmanstanding.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4875 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
We had friends and family over for my wife's birthday. We did 6 BB racks, 16 thighs, and 8 legs. No left overs Frown

Posts: 1730 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ I remember when you first made the pit, nice setup and congrats on a great cook. Cool

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Hard to believe this was the first cook on these this year. The weather has been awful here this spring. Glad it's finally getting nice.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Son just starting a pair of 9+ lb pork butt roasts on the Traeger 34Pro.
He's using this approach (but butter vice mustard for the seasoning binder and 250 degrees vice 225): https://youtu.be/wQWeE0ukpgk

Gonna add diced potatoes, onions, and whole small bell peppers later.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16181 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Beginning the process of the video's recommended step of adding the apple juice, more rub, and butter & brown sugar topping.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16181 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
After resting and before shredding. We were all so ravenous that no plated pictures were taken. Damn it was GOOD with the smoked sides! Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That looks great bald1. Can imagine it was delicious. How long did he smoke it? Glad you enjoyed.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19156 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
That looks great bald1. Can imagine it was delicious. How long did he smoke it? Glad you enjoyed.

About 7 hours. And yes it was great. That apple juice in the tray, despite not being the base for injection which some advocate, seemed to ensure the pork was extra juicy and succulent.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Damn Bob!!!! That looks AMAZING!!!!!!!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I did 4 pork belly half's today. I cured them for 9 days, and used 2.5% salt, 1.5% cane sugar, and .25% pink curing salt per pound. I also added a fair amount of coarse black pepper. I started with charcoal and oak, and then switched to apple for the duration. I maintained a fairly consistent 200 - 210 degrees. It took me almost exactly 4 hours to get them all to 145 degrees internal. They're resting in the fridge until tomorrow. I'll slice, vacuum seal, and freeze them up.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
It's not ideal but I have cooked brisket the night before and rewarmed the next day for serving. Everyone loved it and said they couldn't tell the difference but I could and that's what matters to me. I rested it over night in Cambro's. Rewarmed it in the oven the next day at 200 for a couple hours and then sliced for serving. Don't slice before rewarming.

This is right. It will be fine, and even good, but it won't be as good as brisket just off the fire.

You choose.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

This is right. It will be fine, and even good, but it won't be as good as brisket just off the fire.

You choose.

There are multiple methods to holding brisket for long times without cooling and reheating. You can wrap and keep in an oven at 150-170 (150 if your oven goes that low) and you can keep it good for like 12 hours. Heck wrapped in a cooler will stay warm for like 8 hours.

Another method is a long hold at 150 after bringing to 190. I forget the details but on this method you don’t bring it up to 200ish. You hold at 150 for 16 hours and it will allow the collagen to break down even though it doesn’t get to 200.

ETA: found the video.
https://youtu.be/-6ocRbEU7io

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12421 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post