SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 50
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
It's not ideal but I have cooked brisket the night before and rewarmed the next day for serving. Everyone loved it and said they couldn't tell the difference but I could and that's what matters to me. I rested it over night in Cambro's. Rewarmed it in the oven the next day at 200 for a couple hours and then sliced for serving. Don't slice before rewarming.

You can rewarm in your smoker to at low temp don't try to reheat to quickly.

This is right. It will be fine, and even good, but it won't be as good as brisket just off the fire.

You choose.

There are multiple methods to holding brisket for long times without cooling and reheating. You can wrap and keep in an oven at 150-170 (150 if your oven goes that low) and you can keep it good for like 12 hours. Heck wrapped in a cooler will stay warm for like 8 hours.

Another method is a long hold at 150 after bringing to 190. I forget the details but on this method you don’t bring it up to 200ish. You hold at 150 for 16 hours and it will allow the collagen to break down even though it doesn’t get to 200.

ETA: found the video.
https://youtu.be/-6ocRbEU7io

Thanks for the video. I ended up taking the briskets off the smoker around 175 degrees internal temperature, wrapping in butcher paper, then putting in the oven at 250. When the internal temperature hit 205, I removed them, wrapped the briskets (paper included) in old bath towels and put in a high quality Pelican cooler. They rested for about 5 hours before I removed, sliced an served. The meat was still so hot, I couldn't touch it, and was absolutely the most tender brisket I have ever made.

As an aside, I moved the brisket to the oven for logistical reasons, kind of stumbling into this method by mistake. I started the smoker about 10pm, and tended it until 2am. Then, my lovely wife volunteered to take over and tend to the smoker while got some sleep. She is not an experienced pitmaster, so I told her how much wood to add and how often. Normally, I smoke with oak, and the burn rate it pretty even. I can't quite set my watch to it, but the burn rate is consistent enough it does not take too much of my attention. This time, I bought some mesquite, and it did not burn nearly as hot or as long as the oak I typically use. Thus, the smoker temp dropped, and she didn't know how to remedy that. She woke me up about 4am, and I decided to move the meat to the oven so we could both get some sleep. About 8 am, the meat was done, so I moved to the cooler, and then smoked the chicken.

Next time: I will smoke the evening before, and finish overnight in the oven. The Pelican cooler held the temp so well, I am sure it would hold at least 8 hours, making my time management much easier.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4996 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yup ^^^^

Onc it’s wrapped the smoke doesn’t matter. I usually go about 6 hours on my offset till about midnight. Once the bark is set I wrap and put in the oven until 6 am. Then I wrap in a cooler and have held until 3pm ish and it is excellent. Longer holds have always resulted in better brisket for me.

Just make sure your oven doesn’t have a safety timer. First time I tried this the oven shut off at 4 hours. Luckily setting a timer overrides this feature.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
One last pork butt before heading to Taiwan for 3 weeks. Everything homemade.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7148 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Made some Tri-Tip again yesterday (sorry no pics).
As has been discussed on how to cook ~ like a steak vs like a brisket.
This time I cooked it like a steak but a little different.
*Meat = Choice.
*Rub was Amazing Ribs Bad Ass Beef Rub formula .
*Used BGE.
*Heat was fairly low at around 200 degrees.
*Used Hickory and Mesquite.
*Smoked until 125 (approx. 1:15)
*Used SuVGun to sear
*Left on Grille until 135 degrees
*Wrapped in foil with a little butter
*Put in cold oven then set at 150 to rest
*Pulled out about 30~40 minutes.

Result was perfect.
I think the searing this way vs pan searing allowed for a more even cooking and the low temp didn't make it overcook when resting.
Sometimes the steak version is a bit chewy but more flavor than the brisket version that is more tender.
This seemed to be a good compromise.
Again sorry for no glory pics but the result was superb.

PS guys ~ 19 days between grill posts during the summer is too long. Razz

Posts: 23190 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No pics sorry, but for Fathers Day I cooked a brisket on the BGE. About 12 lbs. Not a prime, just one of the few that were left.
Salt, pepper ,onion powder, garlic powder & paprika. Got the egg to about 225-250, Friday started cooking about 9a. It got to 160* about 3p and stalled. Wrapped it in paper, put it back on, and 3 1/2 hrs later it started climbing again. Hit 203* at 10p and I put it in a cooler in towels overnight. About noon Saturday put it in a 250* oven to warm up. Sliced into it about 2p, it turned out great. That egg works some magic even on mediocre briskets.

Posts: 3644 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
My brother and his wife are here from Florida. I took my first crack at pork belly burnt ends, and made some tri tips for supper. The BE's were really good but definitely have some modifications I am going to make to the next batch. The Tri - Tips were solid as usual.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1788 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
One last pork butt before heading to Taiwan for 3 weeks. Everything homemade.

I've always thought those bear claw things were stupid as hell.
Ever since though, where I engage w/ other tools, I start to think, "Maybe I'm stupid as hell."
I've got a big pulled pork shoulder event coming up. Are they a big improvement?

ETA: Are these the ones?
https://www.amazon.com/Rulunar...mFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they a big improvement?

I use a cleaver or a butcher knife to slice a butt into strips then use these to shred the rest. They work better than I expected. I have these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...pop_mob_b_asin_title

Posts: 1788 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just cut it into big chunks and drop into the Kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook if you have huge amounts to shred. I do this if I need to shred a roaster full for a big party. Works a charm!

I did a graduation party with eight pork butts to pull and put in a roaster. Easy peasy as long as you have them done to the point where the bone pulls out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bettysnephew,

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2939 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received a pair of the claws as a gift. I had always just used large forks. They certainly work as advertised though I'm not sure I would say they are a major improvement over any other method. They are handy for picking up pieces of meat and not getting your hands dirty

Posts: 171 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions. Thank you.

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My wife and kids are in Taiwan this summer and my best friends girl and kid are in TX for July, so we set up a decent meal.

Apple smoked wings with half my personal rub and half lemon pepper. Most with a Texas BBQ sauce and 2 had the Detroit Hellfire Habanero hot sauce from Hot Ones. It came out amazing.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7148 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I've always thought those bear claw things were stupid as hell.
Ever since though, where I engage w/ other tools, I start to think, "Maybe I'm stupid as hell."
I've got a big pulled pork shoulder event coming up. Are they a big improvement?

ETA: Are these the ones?
https://www.amazon.com/Rulunar...mFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I have a pair, they work very well for pulling apart a pork butt and not having to have your hands on the hot meat. You could do the same with a pair of forks but the claws do the work in less time.

Find I do go through after the claws with a pair of forks to thin out the pork even more.

Posts: 24209 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
My wife and kids are in Taiwan this summer and my best friends girl and kid are in TX for July, so we set up a decent meal.

Apple smoked wings with half my personal rub and half lemon pepper. Most with a Texas BBQ sauce and 2 had the Detroit Hellfire Habanero hot sauce from Hot Ones. It came out amazing.

Those look good! Is that a Weber Smokey mountain?

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Those look good! Is that a Weber Smokey mountain?[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Its a Big Green Egg.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
quote:
Are they a big improvement?

I use a cleaver or a butcher knife to slice a butt into strips then use these to shred the rest. They work better than I expected. I have these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...pop_mob_b_asin_title

I went w/ these for the family reunion of 40+ people. They worked really well w/ minimum regular fork pulling. I don't mind a few bigger bark pieces. They's a treat.

I did 8+ and 9+ lb. Boned butts. (I didn't read the package)
-Renowned Mr. Brown rub from Smoke and Spice.
-Piedmont sauce and a Mustard/Balasmic/brown sugar sauce.
-Going by the science of the bigger 9+ butt, on my BGE, right around 15 hrs. turned out to be pretty close w/ a 4 hr. stall. It was 230* all the way until the stall seemed to bump the temp to *250.

I missed a huge photo opportunity. My cousin brought her new boyfriend (she's previously divorced so they are not young'ns at 50's) who teaches photography. He was taking pics of the family throughout. I should have built up a plate w/ the fixins for here.
I encourage the slaw w/ my pork and another cousin made Chik-fil-A recipe coleslaw. Another cucumber dish was a good option.
Aunts homemade Blueberry pie, cherry pie, etc.

Why don't we do this every month? Big Grin
Oh yeah, we had family from 7 states including Hawaii.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Made Beef Short Ribs on the BGE the other day.
A favorite for sure.

After three hours they did shrink up quite a bit, wrapped them at this point for another hour.

Posts: 23190 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Damn Schultz those look great!

I did baby backs on the veridical and chicken thighs on the Santa Maria yesterday. Steamed some green beans, onions, bell peppers, and potatoes in foil pans as well.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Ribs, slaw, and Ayinger Oktoberfest Fest-Marzen. Ribs are my all time favorite summer holiday food.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23643 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post