SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The BBQ Thread
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The BBQ Thread Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Without reading through this whole thread, are there any good resources for smoking newbies?

https://myronmixon.com/

https://www.smoking-meat.com/

they have a forum there as well

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Without reading through this whole thread, are there any good resources for smoking newbies?

https://myronmixon.com/

https://www.smoking-meat.com/

they have a forum there as well

amazingribs.com is pretty good too.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Project Smoke is a book I consistently go to and has great recipies and techniques. jljones please ask if you have any questions, this thread was created to share our meat and help each other smoke their best.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:

What kind of smoker do you have or are looking at?

Do you have a kind of meat you want to smoke?

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hi Jerry, I started using the "Beginners Guide to Smoking Food" posted on Deejay's Smoke Pit website back in 2010/11-ish.

Lots of good info on equipment, recipes, woods.
www.DeejaysSmokePit.net/SmokingMeatGuide.htm

It appears that the DeeJay's site is not being keep operational as I'm finding dead links. I did copy eight of their documents last year. If you would like copies, please email me and I will send them your way.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This place is the SigForum of BBQ: www.bbq-brethren.com

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
Project Smoke is a book I consistently go to and has great recipies and techniques. jljones please ask if you have any questions, this thread was created to share our meat and help each other smoke their best.

I recently purchase a PitBoss 850. I can’t wait to learn to use it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
IMO the easiest most forgiving thing to smoke is pork butt/shoulder. Maybe start with that?

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:

Find the Aaron Franklin PBS series BBQ shows on Youtube. They are a great place to start.

This the first one on trimming brisket, but he has ribs, pork etc...

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
The missus and I made it to Snow's this past weekend. It was COLD. We got there around 4 am and we were numbers 99 and 100 in line.

Ms. Tootsie...

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
WELL, how was it Big Grin

Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
WELL, how was it Big Grin

It was good. Real central Texas BBQ. If we ever go back it won't be a cold day in hell like this past Saturday. Big Grin. We froze!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C L Wilkins,

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Yeah it supposed to be 10 here today!

Surf and Turf tonight. Doing Parmesan encrusted Walleye and NY Strip Loin. All prepped and ready to go Big Grin

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Sorry forgot to post these up. Everything was really good, but that walleye was excellent!

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
OK it was a great day.
Had my first Picanha.
There is a ranch next door to a public golf course I play and decided to check it out.

Got a 4lb American Wagyu Picanha.

I also took the trimmings an rendered some tallow for later and took the end and smaller pieces then ground up a lb or ground beef for a future great hamburger.

Onto the Egg smoked until 118 degrees then sear.
Also smoking some home made hollandaise for the broccoli.

Amazing rich taste and yes you eat the fat.

Thank you Guga for turning me on to Picanha. Cool

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got a 4lb American Wagyu Picanha.

Wow looks very good.

"Picanha is a cut of beef first made popular in Brazil, and later adopted in Portugal. In the United States, the cut is little known and often named top sirloin cap, rump cover, rump cap, or culotte. Instead, North American butchers generally divide this cut into other cuts like the rump, the round, and the loin. It consists of the biceps femoris muscle and its fat cap."

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I try to do several Pichana's a year. Very good little known cut. I've done them both ways but I prefer to leave them whole and slice after smoking. Doing them on a nice board sauce is next level.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I try to do several Pichana's a year. Very good little known cut. I've done them both ways but I prefer to leave them whole and slice after smoking. Doing them on a nice board sauce is next level.

I bet that is great and would be great for a group.
I have seen the Brazilian way cooked on a skewer and the steak way which I did.
It would be too much for me and the wife to eat.
Plus that slab of 4 pounds cost me $100 ~ need to make it last a while. Smile
It is a really awesome cut.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I bet that is great and would be great for a group.
I have seen the Brazilian way cooked on a skewer and the steak way which I did.
It would be too much for me and the wife to eat.
Plus that slab of 4 pounds cost me $100 ~ need to make it last a while. Smile
It is a really awesome cut.

Yours look beautiful. I have an aversion to putting meat on a skewer. I hate poking big holes in my meat and then watching juices run out of those holes during the cook. I've been tempted many times to buy a rotissuere for open fire cooking but when I look at those big fork tines that go into the meat I lose my enthusiasim. Heck I won't even stick my Thermapen into any meat until I know it's darn near done. I'm trying to get to where I can wean myself off of using a Thermapen and still get the results. Thermapen has become a bit of a security blanket for me.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post