SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China?
Page 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 191
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Lay mines. Even "fake shapes", and when the vehicles slow down, pop a Javelin or other munition in their ass.

That was a tactic used in the opening days of the war. Ukrainians were laying painted dinner plates and similar objects across roadways to slow/halt Russian columns and allow them to be more easily ambushed with shoulder-fired AT munitions.
Could only view the first 3 minutes or so of Speak the Truth video tonight as its getting late. He showed Ukrainian soldiers sliding those mines off to the shoulder of the road with their feet. Shuffle board with explosives.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I think the question that remains to be answered is, which side planted the mines?

The assumption has been that Ukraine planted the mines to stop or detour Russian tanks, but I'm hearing some radio reports that Ukrainian officials are warning that retreating Russians are leaving the mines behind, including in neighborhoods around Kyiv/ Kiev.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I think the question that remains to be answered is, which side planted the mines?

The assumption has been that Ukraine planted the mines to stop or detour Russian tanks, but I'm hearing some radio reports that Ukrainian officials are warning that retreating Russians are leaving the mines behind, including in neighborhoods around Kyiv/ Kiev.

A good question- here’s a short clip of Ukraine soldiers “clearing” those same mines from the previous video; they seem pretty blaise about the whole thing. Are they live? Even real? Or safe enough to be nudged around around because they need top pressure to activate them? Opinions vary but there are indications that they were left behind by retreating Russian forces. Since the Ukrainian military share a lot of hardware with Russia, it would explain why they seem fairly unconcerned about how they deal with them.

https://funker530.com/video/uk...n-over-by-civilians/

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ukraine denies responsibility for attack on Russian oil depot

https://wcyb.com/news/nation-w...e-explosion-belgorod

Ukraine has denied responsibility for an airstrike on a Russian oil depot that also serves as a logistics center for the invasion.

Russia released video Friday saying two Ukrainian helicopters started a massive fire in a city a few miles from the border.

Ukraine says it was a Russian "false flag" operation designed to sabotage peace talks that have resumed.

British intelligence says they believe the attack will likely put strain on Russia's logistics chains, affecting forces surrounding the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv.

No significant progress came out of the talks but Ukraine says it's re-taken another village outside of the capital city of Kyiv as heavy shelling continues in the area.

NATO warns that Russian troops are not withdrawing despite a plan to scale back military operations and may in fact be re-grouping in Belarus and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is warning citizens that Russia is mining the area.

"They are mining homes, mining equipment, even the bodies of people who were killed,” Zelenskyy said in an address. “There are a lot of trip wires, a lot of other dangers.”

While Kyiv remains under fire, evacuees arrived in central Ukraine after fleeing Mariupol Friday but the Red Cross says its convoy was blocked from entering the city for a second day. The agency will try again Saturday.

Mariupol has seen some of the worst damage from the war and Russia continues to bombard the city as it would be a major advance if they were to capture it as it would open land access to Crimea, which Russia seized in 2014. U.S. officials have called the situation there "devastating."

In the meantime, the United Nations released updated numbers on the humanitarian crisis there, saying more than 4 million people have fled Ukraine since the war began, which is about 10% of its total population.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This oil depot attack demonstrates how the truth gets buried or extremely blurry for all sorts of reasons. Often facts aren't clear and each side tries to manipulate information that puts them in the best light. This has happened throughout history.

In a case like this, the US and other countries must have satellite and other information to know exactly where they came from and who they belong to. They probably watched it in real time, and may even have known in advance.

So cough it up. We have a right to know if we are being suckered into this mess or if the Russians are using this as a false flag attack, or if it was somehow a mistake.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Given that this is an ongoing war with the sides already drawn, it's kind of hard to see how this incident would "sucker us into this mess".

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gazprom Halts Gas Shipments To Europe Via Critical Pipeline

https://www.zerohedge.com/ener...pe-critical-pipeline

After European nations imported the most gas from Russian sources yesterday in months, scrambling to stock up on supplies as Russian President Vladimir Putin's deadline to either pay for gas in rubles (or be cut off) came and went, Russian gas giant Gazprom has officially halted all deliveries to Europe via the Yamal-Europe pipeline, a critical artery for European energy supplies.

More at link

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/d...try/?sh=797f7e896ef3

article says Russia is losing tanks because they don't have skilled infantry supporting the tanks. Ukraine can attack from the tank blind sides.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...42a58a8764a322e94675

this article talks anti-tank missile tactics

Ukraine Stugna-P only costs $20k versus $178k for Javelin. Stugna-P can also be fired remotely

"It’s important to view the ATGM raids in context. Hit-and-run attacks by Ukrainian missileers can sap the strength of a Russian battalion tactical group, but the small, lightly-armed missile teams can’t hold ground—and generally don’t try to do so.

ATGM teams are vulnerable to sweeps by enemy squads. One big reason the Ukrainians have been so successful with their missiles is that the Russians went to war with far too few infantry."

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://twitter.com/Euromaidan...e-updates-04-02-2022

video at link

Britain’s MANPAD Starstreak is thought to have shot down a Russian helicopter in its first use on the Ukrainian battlefield

Starstreak was filmed cutting the aircraft in two over Luhansk Oblast in the east of the country.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I don't like to triple post, but this one is important

videos at link

as Ukrainian troops retake cities around Kiev, they are finding murdered civilians

https://hotair.com/allahpundit...-left-behind-n459626

some disturbing scenes

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ How do you prevent that without putting NATO peacekeepers in the areas where Russians are absent - and keeping them there regardless of what the Russians do in the future?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
This BBC report on the Russian elite 331st paratrooper regiment discusses the death of a colonel and a major that lead the unit, along with losses in Ukraine that may be up to 1/3 of the regiment's strength. It also covers the way the losses are seen back in Russia, the families' responses, and the propaganda they are informed by.

@ 9 minute video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...&feature=emb_rel_end

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a penny for the guy, but inflation

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
https://english.almayadeen.net...io-weapons-hunter-bi

true ? false ? 10 for the big guy

I'm going to go with propaganda...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Mayadeen

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Britain’s MANPAD Starstreak is thought to have shot down a Russian helicopter in its first use on the Ukrainian battlefield

Starstreak was filmed cutting the aircraft in two over Luhansk Oblast in the east of the country.

That's a very nasty MANPAD; Stingers get the headlines but, the Starstreak is quite formidable.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Amazing.

Their use of armor is awesome.

Combined arms. The Russians are not doing that.

Don't be distressed by UA armor loses.

Different order of battle.

They are running textbook combined arms when they can. IE Kyiv outbreak.

If I had any idea about fixing their shitbox tanks...

Yea. I'm my youth.

Did you know...

The Russian Milradian was different?

So...if a western crew dropped into an eastern tank they would sight differently?

A NATO mil is circle/6400

Warsaw pact mil is circle/6000

A mathematical mil is circle/6283.

Be careful what you wish for Smile

If I dropped into a Warsaw pact tank I would have to aim differently (if I knew what their reticle hash marks were )

But do you know what?

The band plays Waltzing Matilda..

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:... Stingers get the headlines ...

The news and many others call anything MANPAD a "Stinger" the same way almost every semi-auto is an "AR" and almost everyone bitten by a mixed breed dog, it's a "pit bull".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I will say this...it's important in tank fire control.

5000 meteres? I'm your huckleberry.

Fifth Gen M829A4?

Do you smoke after sex? Because the M829A4 smokes after sex.

Give me a Sam Adams...

I am not saying we can defeat any Russian armor

Babushka! Putin said my tank can defeat any threat!

It's tough armor.

Yuri! WTF happened! Our special Communist Armor went boom!

Armor is one thing. The ability to kill at a standoff distance is another.

Combined arms. Russia does not have that.

Shit reticle. (To be fair. This GPS was all sorts of fucked up. Far target locate wasn't even in the ballpark.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mbinky,

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

The news and many others call anything MANPAD a "Stinger" the same way almost every semi-auto is an "AR" and almost everyone bitten by a mixed breed dog, it's a "pit bull".

Heck, I would be happy if people knew what a MANPAD is. It stands for MAN Portable Air Defense. I saw MANPAD being used to describe Javelins and other anti-armor weapons. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post