SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 193
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China? Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
This weekend I thought I would put my time to use during the snow emergency and research the logistics and terrain of Ukraine along with the surrounding areas.

I also wanted to ascertain if this could be the next "Fulda Gap", and since I am looking at transferring to a NG Armor/ Armored Cav unit this could be of interest to me.

((Way way way back in the day when I first enlisted in 1992 as a 19D Cav Scout every training scenario was based on the Fulda Gap.))

From the basic research that I conducted, the terrain and infrastructure will be a logistical nightmare..

For instance, Poland and the Baltic NATO members have roads that cannot accommodate the more than sixty-ton M1 Abrams, Challenger II, and Leopard tanks. The roads in Poland alone cannot handle eight- to ten-ton semi-trucks.

During a gaming scenario it came to the attention of many senior commanders that trying to shuttle armor, artillery, supplies by rail is its own quagmire due to the rails being set apart wider than the Western standard. This means that trains must be painstakingly unloaded, then reloaded near Poland’s border with Lithuania. It can add days to a major movement of troops.

From many of the reports I have read, these are some of the reasons that NATO keeps a relatively low number of tanks, 130, as opposed to Russia’s some 760 tanks within rapid striking distance of the Baltic states and Poland.

I wonder if could turn into the new Fulda Gap or will it be like Kosovo where the US has a Peacekeeping/observer contingent and rotates units.

I can vision troopers (me included) changing and repairing thrown tracks on Bradley's and Abrams.

((I hate snow... ))

I don't think it will get to a ground war.
Maybe a few sanctions thrown around here and there but I think everything will simmer down on the outside. Now on the inside, I think Putin will use his one branch to install the right government, and build outward.

I will say that the two statements that this administration has made: The first about how much of an invasion Putin does will decide on response, and this about not being able to evacuate personnel has really shown/re-affirmed where loyalties and strength lie.

If I was Ukraine, I would keep digging tank ditches, start arming youngsters, and prepare hedge hog tactics.
Plus I would have ZERO faith in the US helping...

Eastern Ukraine is lovely tank ground, open...now frozen fields, the MSRs are limited but due to terrain you really don't need them.

Western Ukraine east of Lvov is similar but on the Polish & Romanian border it would not be fun, it has been awhile since my job took me all over the western side but the roads on the border are narrow and winding and especially from Poland through Uzgorod to Lvov you have to deal with the Z-Carp mountains...they have rebuilt it in the past 15 years but some parts are still considered "seasonal" due to snow. It's a lovely drive during 3 seasons....during winter not so much.

I would agree re: a ground war, in my opinion (not worth a tinkers damn) there are 3 possible outcomes.

1. Major cyber and limited SF attacks, major infrastructure and political targets will be taken out.

2. Major stand off attacks, during the DOnbas war Russia has really stepped up their EW capabilities and has always loved their tubes and rockets not to mention their airforce which may not be competitive with the US but would totally dominate the small Ukrainian airforce.

3. Major ground attacks with the plan to take the ground up to the Dnieper even possibly taking Kiev, even with this possibility I think they will bypass cities unless the Ukrainian use them during the rearward action.

Of course there is a 4th option, Putin does nothing....at this point I think the chance of this is small due to everything that has been said / done.....and you cannot discount Pres. Houseplant being in office....

I guess there is also a 5th possibility, the US and Europe give Putin the eastern Ukraine as a buffer zone. I think this is the 2nd least likely (the first being right above this) but with the idiots in DC you never know. Who thought we would give the taliban $86B in military equipment while we struggled to evac our people?

Oh and as many have said....I think no matter what happens the CCP will take Taiwan as soon as the Olympics are over....weakness breeds aggression

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by m58:
It is part of the elites plan to destroy America.

Plan B for the Great Reset.

Covid was Plan A and it failed...so far.

Certainly a possibility since Russia has told the WEF to fuck off...all while building their own financial system...along with stock piling gold. Putin has been working on making Russia totally self reliant for many years. And if you think the world would crush them with sanctions look at Germany....they are quite luke warm re: hostilities with Russia, to the point that they are prevent Lithuania or Estonia (can't remember which) from selling the Ukrainians military hardware MADE by Germany

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I suppose his handlers are stupid enough to try to show a ‘tough Joe’.

What a bunch of buffoons.

I'm convinced that Biden has very little to do with any decision making. He's only the puppet they stand in front of the teleprompter. Then they let him put his jammies back on and give him some pudding.

Still, to paraphrase Obamas's most accurate description of Biden, "Never underestimate Joe's ADMINISTRATION'S ability to fuck things up."

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good President should surround themselves with smart, logical Subject Matter Experts.

President Biden is not good nor has he surrounded himself with SME's.

Posts: 7102 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
A good President should surround themselves with smart, logical Subject Matter Experts.

President Biden is not good nor has he surrounded himself with SME's.

And idiots surround themselves with ass kissers and people dumber than themselves.

That's how we've ended up with virtually all government positions being held by idiots.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:

During a gaming scenario it came to the attention of many senior commanders that trying to shuttle armor, artillery, supplies by rail is its own quagmire due to the rails being set apart wider than the Western standard. This means that trains must be painstakingly unloaded, then reloaded near Poland’s border with Lithuania. It can add days to a major movement of troops.

I had always heard the former Soviet Union had a wider track gauge to slow down invaders. I took a train from Krakow to Kiev in 1992 and, IIRC, it took about 3-4 hours for them to swap out the train wheels at the border. They had ginormous hydraulic jacks lift all the train cars up, pull all the wheels out and then a new string wheels in. Then we headed across the border.

Posts: 3686 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

look at Germany....they are quite luke warm re: hostilities with Russia, to the point that they are prevent Lithuania or Estonia (can't remember which) from selling the Ukrainians military hardware MADE by Germany

The Germans are well aware that if the shit hits the fan with Russia, Putin is turning off the natural gas taps and they will freeze and their industry and economy grinds to a halt.

Didn't Trump warn them about this and offer to help get them off Russian gas?

Now they are stuck.

Posts: 34579 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who say President Two Scoops is not going to get us into a war with Russia, for a number of reasons. I also agree with those who say that all of the anxiety this idiot is creating is calculated by the WH staff to distract the American people from all of Biden's failures and from the fact that the omicron variant of the WuFlu is beginning to turn it into nothing but a cold.

"President Biden has averted war with the evil, Trump-loving Russians!! Thank you, President Biden!!"

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Is Ukraine blackmailing Biden into a losing WW3?

Disaster for America will come, and quickly, unless Biden stops the hurtling war-train. Except Ukraine may have a hold on him. Op-ed.

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/320983

Halfway through reading this I had to go back see who published it. Holy shit what a hilarious, history ignoring jumble of trash.

Jumble of trash? Exactly what 'History' is being ignored in that article?

Well I guess Voshterkoff can't or won't defend the statement he made.

Posts: 13098 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone in Europe is scared of Germany militarily at this point. Last I heard they had very few flyable airplanes and their tank units were a bit better. Poland on the other hand I think is ready for war this time if it comes. I think either way this goes Joe and the Hoe are gonna bring down the Democrat party come November.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
I don't think anyone in Europe is scared of Germany militarily at this point. Last I heard they had very few flyable airplanes and their tank units were a bit better. Poland on the other hand I think is ready for war this time if it comes. I think either way this goes Joe and the Hoe are gonna bring down the Democrat party come November.

Germany has gotten way too comfortable and reliant with the US shouldering the the defense burden of Europe, Trump called them out for not spending the agreed-on "fair share" of defense spending (they spent it on social programs instead) and was blasted for "trying to destroy NATO". Now they are caught with their pants down, overly-reliant on Russian natural gas and with a depleted, hollowed-out military.

What could go wrong? Roll Eyes

Posts: 34579 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Now they are caught with their pants down, overly-reliant on Russian natural gas and with a depleted, hollowed-out military.

What could go wrong?

Posts: 33067 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Does the US still main material in Germany, similar to the old Reforger exercise?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We still have forward positioned material in a number of countries in Europe. And added more to Eastern Europe in particular in the last 5-10 years.

Airlifting troops who are then equipped with prepositioned stocks is way faster and easier than shipping over all the equipment too.

Posts: 33067 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Does the US still main material in Germany, similar to the old Reforger exercise?

We have plenty in Germany, and Germany is the springboard from which we’d launch an offensive for that whole region. This is why the Germans don’t invest too much in their military. I’ve been to a few of their bases. They don’t even compare to ours

Posts: 3391 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I can remember Reforger and reading about the pre-positioned stocks in books.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I was in West Germany during the early eighties and the buildup, worked alongside US Army (Air Defense Artillery, Hawk and Chaparral) German and English (with odds and end, Danes, French, Belgians and others) doing stuff.

Saw quite a bit of material. If we have 1/3 of that level still there, We could simply burry Soviet forces by dumping it on them and never fire a single round.

But with Team Tater, who knows WTF this hot mess will turn out. But I guarantee, it won't be good for the majority of the people that will get a face full.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44479 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Talking to friends who are still in the industry and from past experience, lots of Chinese are coming to central Florida and buying large homes. They're outbidding Americans by significant amounts and pricing the Americans out of the housing market and turning them into renters.

Example: friend is a sales lady for a large builder, her husband is also sales for an even larger builder. The larger builder has buyers bidding on homes. Young couple is looking at a home listing for $350k and they bid $355k to be competitive. Chinese come in and bid $375k and win it. No intentions of living there.

Another friend is building $650k vacation homes by Disney, he's built 6 for the same Chinese buyer renting it out as vacation home for people visiting Disney. If the Chinese for such commies, how does a dude buy 6 homes for $650k each?

Every time you buy shit from Amazon, you are giving the Chinese American money to price us out of buying homes in our own country. We are killing ourselves. China needs us more than we need them.

Posts: 13298 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard it said that China owns the largest pork producer in the United States. Wonderful. Period

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I’ve heard it said that China owns the largest pork producer in the United States. Wonderful. Period

It's a fact. LINK

To paraphrase the old poker saying: Read'em and Weep.

Posts: 11990 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post