SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China?
Page 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... 192
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is that idiot Biden gonna get us in a war with Russia or China? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
CNN’s New Chief Says ‘Breaking News’ Banner Is Overused
Welcome to 1997. Brilliant. Roll Eyes

Posts: 108105 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Stuff you won't see on the news

I had no idea the French supplied these

Posts: 5391 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Which is weird. They've received and are actually receiving HIMARS and 177s from us, Neptunes from the Brits, CAESARS from France, and you have to dig to find it in the news if you wind up finding it at all.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
For American media, the extent of other deliveries probably pales relative to the amount pushed by the US; others obviously place more importance on systems supplied or announced by their respective own countries. Other than the French Ceasars, there have been M109 SPHs from around NATO (some Norwegian ones have just been shown in action), a dozen German and Dutch PzH 2000, FH 70 howitzers from Italy, single-digit numbers of MLRS from Germany and the UK tacking onto the American HIMARS delivery; also Gepard SPAAGS and an IRIS-T SLM SAM system from Germany, Starstreak and Brimstone missiles from the UK, truck-mounted Harpoon launchers from Denmark, Bushmaster and Wolfhound MRAPs from Australia and the UK respectively, and apparently about any M113 APC still found in European depots. Spain just announced to supply not just some old Aspide SAM launchers but also 40 mothballed Leopard 2A4, which would be the first Western MBTs after all the T-72 variants dropped off by Poland, the Czechs etc.

Posts: 2434 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So basically the world is getting rid of all their old and outdated military gear by giving it to the Ukrainians…

Posts: 34077 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yep, and using it to kick some Ruskie ass

Posts: 5391 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^ Which is weird. They've received and are actually receiving HIMARS and 177s from us, Neptunes from the Brits, CAESARS from France, and you have to dig to find it in the news if you wind up finding it at all.

These sites help some.

https://www.youtube.com/c/UATVEnglish

https://www.youtube.com/c/FeyginLive (not in English)

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/news

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/ukraine-war

https://www.cnn.com/europe/liv...-06-07-22/index.html

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4297 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
So basically the world is getting rid of all their old and outdated military gear by giving it to the Ukrainians…

There's a site I've been following that has a bunch of pics of frontline stuff. Among and amidst the SCARs, there's a bunch of FNC's, and even some F2000's being fielded. Not even the railed version, the optic version. FN apparently just sent them everything nobody wanted to buy. Those F2000's had to have been sitting in inventory at least a good fifteen years, and even longer for the FNC's.

Posts: 17340 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. All the old tech is gone. Next WAR we may find out that all the new tech has back doors built in for use by our enemy. We will basically have no useful equipment.

Posts: 1421 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I think simplicity and quantity is important, something the US Military Industrial Complex and their customers seem to sidestep sometimes. When the shit hits the fan and you run out of missiles at a million dollars a pop, then the enemy who never had million-dollar missiles may win the war with large quantities of regular old boring war material. I think I heard Four Star General Jack Keane say in an interview on Fox News that the Russsian military's possession of massive quantities of low tech materiel, in spite of their problems executing their attack on Ukraine, held an elegance of its own, and for that reason Russia would eventually overtake Ukraine. That statement hit me when I thought about the simplicity of having lots and lots of "regular" stuff, however boring, might more than make up for any differences in sophistication, precision, and cost.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8748 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Anush.

quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
the simplicity of having lots and lots of "regular" stuff, however boring, might more than make up for any differences in sophistication, precision, and cost.

Precision and sophistication don't (or at least shouldn't) exist for their own sakes. From what we're seeing in Ukraine I'd say they basically boil down to hits at longer ranges, fewer warheads expended per hit and fewer casualties incurred per hit. There's certainly a logic to seeing virtue in quantities of simpler weapons, but the other guys could still wind up winning.

At the same time, if Russia's reaching back into its stock of older, simpler weapons, then in some cases it should be possible to counter them with older, simpler weapons that are available in greater quantity. Defensive structures that could be beaten by precision weapons could become useful again. Older tanks and armored vehicles can be defeated by shoulder-fired weapons that are smaller, lighter and cheaper than Javelins or NLAWs. Foxholes might still have a reason to exist in the age of drones. "Regular" stuff has been a known entity for some time, so there are a lot of things people already know about how to beat attackers who have to rely on it.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Was reading a Jack Carr book (James Reece) and in the book he wrote that Stalin once said "Quantity has a quality all its own."

quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I think simplicity and quantity is important, something the US Military Industrial Complex and their customers seem to sidestep sometimes. When the shit hits the fan and you run out of missiles at a million dollars a pop, then the enemy who never had million-dollar missiles may win the war with large quantities of regular old boring war material. I think I heard Four Star General Jack Keane say in an interview on Fox News that the Russsian military's possession of massive quantities of low tech materiel, in spite of their problems executing their attack on Ukraine, held an elegance of its own, and for that reason Russia would eventually overtake Ukraine. That statement hit me when I thought about the simplicity of having lots and lots of "regular" stuff, however boring, might more than make up for any differences in sophistication, precision, and cost.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Russia's drones

https://asiatimes.com/2022/06/...y-firing-in-ukraine/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?..._channel=UATVEnglish

https://theconversation.com/uk...ery-dominance-184479

https://www.politico.com/news/...bas-weapons-00036156

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4297 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the Chinese have been getting frisky with Australian and Canadian long range patrol aircraft - including one Australian ASW to ingest a large quantity of chaff

Posts: 53383 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Chaff will do almost nothing to jet engines.

Chaff is thinner than human hair.

Most chaff dispensers the chaff is contained in tubes that are ejected, then the outer containment media (think very thin mylar/paper) is separated from the actual chaff filaments that are typically held in form with a small amount of grease, and the encountering of the "airstream" results in rapid dispersion in a "cloud" of filaments.

If this is ingested, almost all of it will exit the rear of the engine, and very little would adhere to any part of the inlet guide vanes, engine stator blades, combustion section or turbine blades.

But, a "good" bit of "news story" has to have some drama or no one will stay engaged for the commercials

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44059 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
^^^

true but what is does point out is just how far the Chinese are now pushing their encounters

Posts: 53383 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Was reading a Jack Carr book (James Reece) and in the book he wrote that Stalin once said "Quantity has a quality all its own."

That may be true for near-peer tech, but it falls apart as the tech differential widens. Large quantities of cavalry didn’t make a difference on 1914 battlefields facing down machine guns. The tech was just too far apart.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8232 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More details. There's a possibility it was chaff AND flares ingested by the Aussie P-8.

"An account from Canada’s Global News, meanwhile, asserts that flares, not chaff, released by the J-16 were responsible for actually damaging the P-8, although this is yet to be officially verified..."

Complete article:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-w...gerous-new-precedent

Posts: 15934 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I know a little bit about the chaff and flares used for countermeasures and a thing or two about jet engines, both high bypass turbofan and turbojet.

But if you want to follow the excitement, carry on.

As far as "how far will they go", the Soviets have (knowingly) shot down civilian airliners, and the Chinese have nearly and actually collided with western aircraft. So, it is no new thing.

But, it does not wash the "Dirty Laundry".

The real question should be; "How have we managed to continue this same course to arrive at this point, when we had several incidents more than 20 years ago?"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44059 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... P-8A A47-008 Clark Airbase v J-16 Woody Island the Paracels, maritime surveillance, South China Sea, international airspace, May 26 2022; Chinese interception tactic

the J-18 ... flew interception along side and released decoy flares; then moved from ... alongside and positioned 200-300m ahead of the P-8's nose, then released a “bundle of chaff"; the small pieces of aluminum were ingested into ... engine. Pilot returned to base for safety. inspection ...

Aussie Defence not making any further media statements ...

So much for the game of 'look but don't touch'.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post