SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIGform Classifieds Rules - your suggestions
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIGform Classifieds Rules - your suggestions Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Regarding enforcement, we members know the rules and should help with following them.

Just as in this latest example. I reached out to Para to make sure he was good with me selling to a contributing forum member instead of a sniper. He had the forum's back and took care of business.

Even if no one else wanted to buy the item I still wouldn't have sold it to a non-member.

Selling or buying from long-standing Sig Forum members is a contributing member perk.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/2600075094/p/1

I'm cross-linking all these threads so that the message will be difficult to miss.

You can see from that thread that restricting Classifieds access to forum members is an inefffective method (for now) of preventing scams. The better solution is for members who are contacted for their WTB ad to request the person's forum username. See the link above.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 107635 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Re the issues with scamfucks, perhaps breaking WTS and WTB into sub categories which would not only make it easier on buyers and sellers looking through the classifieds, but easier to monitor WTB posts, a single place to issue WTB warnings, rules, specific to that group, as well as lists of known scummers.

The concept of blocking classified to the bots/spiders that crawl the net seems like a great idea as well, ie you have to be a member, logged in to see that group.

Another thought, if we break wtb ads into a separate section, and, nobody puts WTB into the title of their post, since its in the wtb section indicating the type of post, might that help reduce the scammers since they are searching for WTB advertisements.

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought and sold on this forum several times. I have found the rules to be satisfactory. I do not think it is the forum’s job to save the idiots that don’t bother with their own due diligence. I can understand the forum’s concerns about scammers but there are so many asses in the world it is probably impossible to protect everyone.

Para, it’s your forum, you make the rules and I will abide by them.

Posts: 1255 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
I do not think it is the forum’s job to save the idiots that don’t bother with their own due diligence.
You think that's why I'm putting all this effort into this? Can you think of any other reasons why I would be doing so? Take a guess.
quote:
Para, it’s your forum, you make the rules and I will abide by them.
The Hell you say. Wait, let me write this down...

{my forum...scribblescribble...my rules...scribblescribble...and...scribblescribble...ACP1 is gonna follow my rules...scribblescribble...}

Got it

posted Hide Post
Hey Para,
What are the chances you might make it a rule that any sellers and buyers have a real location in their profile as opposed to some bullshit like "down by the river" or "six miles long near the ocean"? Some folks do live near others and do face to face transactions, this can make things easier (for some) when they have to ask "where are you located" and the "seller" has some sarcastic crap down instead of being an adult with their city/state. Just a request. Thanks for the great job you are doing.

Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.

Posts: 385 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Can you think of any other reasons why I would be doing so? Take a guess.”

In todays world with the liberals that serve on juries, the forum might be judged to be supporting the scams.

I won’t mention who owns the forum or that I will follow the rules again, that may be too offensive.

Posts: 1255 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
“Can you think of any other reasons why I would be doing so? Take a guess.”

In todays world with the liberals that serve on juries, the forum might be judged to be supporting the scams.

I won’t mention who owns the forum or that I will follow the rules again, that may be too offensive.
Let me be clearer for you- I already know who owns the forum. I already know that the rules in this forum are mine. I know that you will abide by my rules, because, if not, you will be subject to disciplinary action.

None of these things do you or any other members need ever tell me. When a member does tell me these things, it's always as a preface; they are disagreeing in some way with some rule or policy or statement I've made or some opinion I've expressed. So, when a member says "Your forum, your rules" they are really saying something else, and that something else is always a balk or a disagreement of some sort.

And your answer to my question as to why you think I am going through the trouble of constructing rules: "In todays world with the liberals that serve on juries, the forum might be judged to be supporting the scams."

Yeah, I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. This makes no sense whatsoever. And there's not going to be any "juries" involved with anything, and if I gave your nonsensical response much thought at all, it might make me angry, because what you seem to be suggesting is quite offensive.

So, my advice is that you just leave it alone. But, if you want to keep digging, do it in style. Use mine:

Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Lover:
Hey Para,
What are the chances you might make it a rule that any sellers and buyers have a real location in their profile as opposed to some bullshit like "down by the river" or "six miles long near the ocean"? Some folks do live near others and do face to face transactions, this can make things easier (for some) when they have to ask "where are you located" and the "seller" has some sarcastic crap down instead of being an adult with their city/state. Just a request. Thanks for the great job you are doing.

This assumes that everyone is willing to do face to face deals, and I can assure you that I and many others are not. Why? Because selling something online and taking 2 minutes to buy a label and slap it on a package is a fraction of the time it takes for you to pick a meet up spot, set a time, drive there, wait 20 minutes for you to be late, then show up and regale me with your life stories before haggling over a previously agreed to price. No thanks.

Posts: 4459 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Big Bore Lover:
/QUOTE]

This assumes that everyone is willing to do face to face deals, and I can assure you that I and many others are not. Why? Because selling something online and taking 2 minutes to buy a label and slap it on a package is a fraction of the time it takes for you to pick a meet up spot, set a time, drive there, wait 20 minutes for you to be late, then show up and regale me with your life stories before haggling over a previously agreed to price. No thanks.

I will not do face to face transactions-selling in the Sig Forum Classifieds.People have pestered me in the past when I listed guns for sale. Some wanted to drive 3 hours to purchase, or either ask me to drive 2 hours to meet them..Uh..no.

Or either they hit me up with this cracked logic, since they are coming to pick it up, I should lower my price...Uh...no.

I am not making money shipping a gun, on shipping costs.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Lover:
Hey Para,

I did clearly say SOME. If your life is so busy that you won't do that go ahead and spend the time to go to whichever dealer you must do your transaction with so you can save your valuable time. As one of those that don't post their location, I see where you stand.

Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.

Posts: 385 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I suggest prohibiting the use of PayPal for any transaction involving ammunition, ammunition components, explosives (e.g., Tannerite), firearms, firearms parts, knives/swords, reloading equipment, or shooting impedimenta.

This would be consistent with PayPal’s TOS.

It protects people from PayPal unilaterally enforcing the “damages” clause which permits PayPal to take a minimum of $2500 per violation (it can be much more-I know of a shop that lost about $15,000 to PayPal suddenly closing to enforce the TOS.

More importantly, why should the SIGforum classified support the GDCs at PayPal, when PayPal is openly and overtly anti-gun, anti-hunting, anti-self-defense, and anti-sport/target shooting?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
223 pages removed from Classifieds. I am so sick of of new memebrs posting in two year old ads. "Is this still available?"

So fucking ridiculous. Roll Eyes

And I may trim it back some more.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I can't figure out how an individual let alone a business could lose that much money to PayPal.... unless they are using it as a bank to store money and that is stupid.... I use Venmo in my business and when ever there is a payment to it I move that money butt quick. I suspect if you look at any of these legal money laundering internet sights rules you'll find that we gun folks are all perceived as scum of the earth. I'll admit to using pp for a number of transactions that they would not approve of but were perfectly legal of course.

Thanks for the removal of those pages para.... yep, that was the one big aggravation .... I could see possibly sending the member who posted the add years ago a private email but to bump it back to the top is just 'poe' as my grandmother would say.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I know folks make accounts, but is there a way to restrict the classifieds from being accessed if one is not signed into the forum?

This is how a few forums I frequent have it set up.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Let me say upfront: I completely agree with the "exclusive listing" rule and the fact that Dealers are exempt from this rule.

However, dealers who are listing consignments appear to present the same problem as members listing the same item on multiple sites.

We have one current ad that is listing all consignment guns. I am not criticizing the seller because he is following the rule, but maybe this should be addressed while we are improving the Classifieds.

Thanks.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2275 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Trimmed another 4 pages out of Classifieds this morning.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Anyone want to take a guess at what's happened this week?

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Past tense?

Beside the trimming of classifieds?

No scams this week?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
No scams this week?
Guess again