SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIGform Classifieds Rules - your suggestions
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIGform Classifieds Rules - your suggestions Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What ever causes you the absolute least amount of consternation.

If you try a three month classifieds closure to gauge
It's positive against it's negative , then so be it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

if members adhere to our new policy of not placing their email address or phone number in the body of their post, then those thieves who are not registered for the forum would be stopped, because how would they go about contacting members in an attempt to scam them?
While all of this discussion is going on, a new WTS ad was posted in the classified section today, with a phone number.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/1920026984

The ad stated that pictures could be requested via the phone number.
Updating this post. Here's one that just appeared in the classifieds today:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...740036984#6740036984

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
If it's worth selling here, it's worth figuring out how to include a photo in the ad. There should be no "email/text" for pics. Too many play the "I can't be bothered to learn" card.

Totally agree. Would increase the chance that a member that has the know how can search the image and see if it's been pulled from somewhere else.

As to the concern over EXIF data, most hosting sites now strip that info when the photo is uploaded. A list of approved image hosting sites that strip EXIF data could be given in the rules. I just double checked and Imgur states they strip EXIF on upload. That's the host I use for such things.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

if members adhere to our new policy of not placing their email address or phone number in the body of their post, then those thieves who are not registered for the forum would be stopped, because how would they go about contacting members in an attempt to scam them?
While all of this discussion is going on, a new WTS ad was posted in the classified section today, with a phone number.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/1920026984

The ad stated that pictures could be requested via the phone number.

While not something I would choose to do cause I don't want my numbers trashed but how exactly would this subject him to the possibility of being scammed on a WTS? Maybe its his easiest or only way to deliver pictures to potential buyers.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
A phone number is considered PII. A scammer could take that info and use it to find other info about you. Eventually they could gather enough info to cause you problems independent of your WTS post.

It's best to not make the scammer's job easier.

We were preparing to have to respond to protests on the Keystone XL pipeline which was going to pass near our AOR. I was in charge of trying to get our work force to take doxxing seriously. We provided some resources to get information scrubbed from the internet. As an example, with only a unique last name and geographical area, I was able to track down lots of info of one of our officers. I was able to even find his parent's phone number. I think that helped drive the point home. I wouldn't want some wacko calling my mother telling her what a POS they thought her son was.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I get all of that but maybe he has a burner phone and its no issue.
Was just wondering how it relates to getting scammed out of his WTS since that is what this thread is about.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I understand, but I think this thread is more about establishing and codifying best practices which will in turn lower the chance of someone getting scammed. And I just think putting your phone number out there on the open internet is not best practices.

They at least have to have an email to sign up for this forum. If they want to send photos via text, then they can exchange numbers via email first.

But I still believe best practice would be to require photos or links to photos so that anyone that looks at the ad can at least search the photo and see if it's pulled from somewhere else.

I do like the idea of writing info on a card and placing it in the photos of higher priced items.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:...
Was just wondering how it relates to getting scammed out of his WTS since that is what this thread is about.

It puts his ability to be contacted specifically about his sale to those outside the forum membership and a scammer that is good at the game has low hanging fruit, and the backlash likely ends up in Para's inbox.

So, back to pencil and paper and making rules.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
A lot of thought/time/effort has been invested into this. This board has a very deep well of knowledge and is enjoyed by like-minded moral good people.

There seems to be one overriding thought that might be solvable: Most agree it isn't fair to have the burden fall on Para to police the entire classified. It's also now clear that someone who knows this site took advantage of its members.
Everyone is looking for a way to sift out the bad player(s), and ensure the ads, buyers, seller are credible.

What if there is a small fee (which has been suggested by some) charged for the use of the classifieds. The method of payment can be discussed, there are many options. But the concept would be a simple small annual fee. If some can't pay, that would be up to Para's sole discretion to decide (i.e., if people don't use the classifieds, or if it's a burden, etc.,). Or maybe everyone who uses does pay. IDK

However, the use seems fairly clear: The fee can go towards a third-party cybersecurity firm that can monitor & oversee the section, chosen by Para, overseen/asset-managed by para, to police the classifieds and keep them honest. Take over all the necessary work required to deter, detect, act, and mitigate any issue. Have it overseen, not run by the one person who already does everything for and to our benefit.

Please don't rant at me for the idea - after reading everyone's concerns, I just took everyone's comments and followed the path down the road a bit. It seems like a potentially elegant solution to an issue overriding some of the others. I can't imagine how much work goes into the current process. But when I have an issue that needs to be delegated, I go to a SME or Subject Matter Expert who has experience in whatever discipline is needed to be watched over. It might work here.

Maybe this is a way to stop the turd(s) from invading SF.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the thought but there won't be any fees attached to the use of Classifieds, at least not for the forseeable future.

Contributions should take the form of words and photographs posted in the various sections of the forum. Classifieds is provided for the use and convenience of those who contribute content to this forum. Without new content, this forum would atrophy and die. Words and photographs make the garden grow.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
@drtenb330

I just don't think that's a workable solution. I think the best solution is making as much of the transaction as transparent as possible and then doing your own due diligence and if that fails, be your brother's keeper. If you see something fishy in an ad, point it out.

posted Hide Post
Another new WTB post with email in the open.

Email in the open

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Noted and understood.
happy to try and help.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Assuming, for the sake of the following question, that there will be a sticky at the top the classifieds that specifies whatever rules are adopted, will the forum software support a requirement to acknowledge and agree to the rules in order to post in the Classifieds?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not that I'm aware of.

Picture of XplodingRavioli
posted Hide Post
Late to the party, but if there is anyway we can add and display positive feedback per transaction, I think that would help out a lot with classifieds.

RC

Posts: 201 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: December 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No feedback, no PM.

After the rules are created- new members, when they receive their email indicating they have been approved will in that email be provided a link to the rules and told that they must have 200 posts before they can use Classifieds, and that means buying, selling or trading.

Since we've decided that all transactions are now out in the open, and since all listings are exclusive to SIGforum, any seller suddenly marking their ad with "sold" or "withdrawn" is going to be scrutinized and questioned and repeated instances of this will result in a loss of privileges in Classifieds. Any new member violating the 200 post rule faces the possibility of banishment from the forum.

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Para if you don't want fees associated, you might consider donations? I think most of us would be glad to send some money there once a year for the privilege of using classifieds. It's obvious you put a lot of work into this every day. I am a long time member of the Audio Asylum, which is a no fee site, with moderators that work hard to keep it up. But they accept donations and I think it works well for them. Nobody is expected to donate. Many do, many don't.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

1. Close any of the previous threads at the top(of the Classifieds) that deal with this subject(the Rules).

2. Create a new LOCKED POST with the rules that you determine to be the rules. It can be updated as needed as scammers seem to always figure out new methods. But keep just the one single locked post.

Snipped.....

Whatever the new rules end up being, please consider doing the above.

Posts: 2680 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Can you auto lock / prune individual subforums?

I remember that the forum used to prune threads over x time period old.

Maybe lock those above x days & prune those over y weeks/months?

Phone number would be tough, but maybe flag posts containing @ or .com/.net/.mail/etc to block email addresses from being posted publicly.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post