SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Was talking to a retired LEO friend who has done extensive training with simunitions.

They arrive for training and have to lock all weapons and ammo in their trunks before entering.

They were searched before entering the facility to assure no weapons or ammo were missed

They had to load their own simunition mags to assure only proper ammo was loaded and they were responsible.

He wondered how, if that is the procedure for people who carry live ammo all day, how the heck does live ammo get on a movie set???

Yup, & if you leave the scenario to go pee, they search you again upon returning.
No real guns,
No backup guns
No ammo
No knives
No tasers

And you still have stupid shit.
I was returning a simunition gun to the staging area to report to another scenario (there’s not enough simunition guns for everyone-so you swap out) when “that guy” popped the Sgt in the toe with a round because she was “clearing the gun”. No one was instructed to clear the guns-they were to remain hot all day. But people are stupid and do what they want. I just walked away while the Sgt gave her a piece of his mind. And I never went to range day with her again

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11376 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
This won't go to trial, he's going to be charged, plea a negligence charge or something of a lower level and pay a fine, do community service work, something of that ilk. Armorer will probably do the same, if she's got good lawyers, right now she has both the State of NM and Baldwin against her.

Baldwin just waited it out until he saw what he was going to be charged with, if anything, now he has a place to start negotiations from.

NM doesn't want to spend the money to try him they want to get it over with and look like they did something and didn't let a star get away with it.

Add in two years of it sitting out in the ether without much attention other than this thread, people have moved on, which is part of the process why it took so long, old news....

Posts: 23783 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Has Baldwin hired the surviving O.J. legal team yet?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29800 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what comes if this it has already gone further than I thought it would. This will follow Baldwin around the rest of his life. He will always be the guy who was charged with involuntary manslaughter. I sure as hell would find it hard to live with that. Regardless of what personna he tries to put out in front after this every night he goes to bed this will haunt him. Good enough for me.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8557 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Contrary to widespread online gossip, investigators found no evidence that other crew members were taking the prop weapons on Rust and loading them with real bullets for target practice on the desert set.

I am now especially interested in the statement that there was no evidence that employees had used the gun for live fire shooting. Until then I had been willing to bet a couple of nickels that that’s how live ammunition got into the gun. I.e., the gun was shot, left loaded, not checked, unintentional bang.

But if live ammunition was found in several diverse locations, including in a bandolier and gun belt, how and why did it get there? I’m finally willing to at least wonder if it was someone’s deliberate action for some reason.

I'm with you on the likely explanation as to how live rounds got on set, as previous articles and statements mentioned target practice being a common practice by cast/ crew off movie sets.

There was a statement by the DA earlier in the investigation that stated that there was no evidence of tampering or foul play, although I suppose something could've been uncovered after that statement was made.

Admittedly I'm grasping at straws in parsing the article comment, but I'm wondering if "investigators found no evidence that other crew members were taking the prop weapons on Rust and loading them with real bullets for target practice on the desert set" if perhaps some of the cast or crew didn't use the movie set prop guns, but instead used some other guns (in the same caliber(s) ) that were owned or obtained by cast/ crew for off set target practice... although I would've expected investigators to have uncovered any type of off set target shooting.

As the New Mexico armorer provided the prop guns and blanks and dummy rounds used on Rust I would think he would have a copy of the invoice or bill with a detailed list of the ammo provided. It would be interesting to learn if any live ammo was also included in the order.

There was an interview with an actor (not involved with Rust) previously posted in this thread, that mentioned that dummy rounds and blanks were sometimes made from live rounds. Perhaps this was true at one time, but no longer true...or maybe the practice is still sometimes used. If this is true, I wonder if a few unmodified live rounds made it into the order. Obviously this doesn't explain how the set armorer, the assistant props girl, the producers, or the actors all failed to check or observe live rounds on set.

As with most tragedies, whole lotta failures and complacency involved with this compounded negligence.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Regardless of what comes if this it has already gone further than I thought it would. This will follow Baldwin around the rest of his life. He will always be the guy who was charged with involuntary manslaughter. I sure as hell would find it hard to live with that. Regardless of what personna he tries to put out in front after this every night he goes to bed this will haunt him. Good enough for me.
For gun owners, the best part is that this braying jackass is permanently wounded in his fight against gun ownership in this country.

Oh, I don't think for a single second that Baldwin has had his last public diatribe on guns, gun ownership and the Second Amendment. A sane person would leave it alone, but Baldwin is a leftist, and therefore neither sane nor rational.

But, just imagine if you will, the absolute swarm of derision and laughter this hypocrite will attract when he thinks it's safe to make another moronic declaration on the subject. He'll have to endure that for the rest of his days.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I just want to know how things got so sloppy on that set that there were live rounds, not just in one spot under lock and key, but seemingly scattered about everywhere...

- low budget production.

- understaffed crew requiring many crew members to pull double duty in other responsibilities, including the set armorer and props girl.

- a young inexperienced set armorer and assistant armorer.

- compliance with Covid-19 mandated restrictions prevented the armorer and assistant armorer from being on the set during rehearsal, when this tragedy occurred.

- an understaffed and tired crew that was forced to use lodgings much farther off the movie set than the main acting star, producers, or director, which equates to longer travel times to/from the set, and less sleep for them.

- a disgruntled crew unhappy about set conditions.

- a culture of complacency on set and a lack of the producers to emphasize safety practices to the crew, a failure to follow SAG firearm use safety protocols, a failure by the producers to allow for proper safety briefings and checks, and a failure by producers to enforce a safety stand down and review after previous negligent discharges on set.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It was also reported yesterday that NM requires gun safety courses for these people. Baldwin refused.

Posts: 20240 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Oh I can see it now. Coming to a TV/YouTube near you.

"Hi, I'm Alec Baldwin. Mensa candidate and world's greatest actor. Guns are a problem. If I, with my decades of acting and using guns in said acts, can cause the death of person, well... Those slack jawed, NRA members are the real threat. Can we trust those county bumpkins with AR-15s when I can't even hold a 150 year old designed revolver without an accident (totally not my fault)? So join me and my friends at Anytown to repeal the Second Amendment. And leave gun ownership to the trained professionals, like me."

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
It was also reported yesterday that NM requires gun safety courses for these people. Baldwin refused.
Of course. Baldwin already knows everything about guns. Hell, he knows everything about everything.

Oh, look! A Baldwin sighting! Say, Alec, why are you hiding your face? How stupid is that? We already know what you look like. Yutz Big Grin

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
This won't go to trial, he's going to be charged, plea a negligence charge or something of a lower level and pay a fine, do community service work, something of that ilk. Armorer will probably do the same, if she's got good lawyers, right now she has both the State of NM and Baldwin against her.

I almost feel sorry for the armorer as she's most likely no money for a top notch defense team. She probably took this job as a foot in the door. I said almost fell sorry, I can imagine at the start, "Sure, I'll be an armorer for the movie set. How hard could it be?"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19816 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Baldwin just waited it out until he saw what he was going to be charged with, if anything, now he has a place to start negotiations from.

NM doesn't want to spend the money to try him they want to get it over with and look like they did something and didn't let a star get away with it.

Add in two years of it sitting out in the ether without much attention other than this thread, people have moved on, which is part of the process why it took so long, old news....

What is the actual evidence for these contentions?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53156 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
For gun owners, the best part is that this braying jackass is permanently wounded in his fight against gun ownership in this country.

Oh, I don't think for a single second that Baldwin has had his last public diatribe on guns, gun ownership and the Second Amendment. A sane person would leave it alone, but Baldwin is a leftist, and therefore neither sane nor rational.

But, just imagine if you will, the absolute swarm of derision and laughter this hypocrite will attract when he thinks it's safe to make another moronic declaration on the subject. He'll have to endure that for the rest of his days.

Yes Sir. I can imagine that easily. He’s shot more and killed more innocent people than I’m sure 99.999% of the members here. I think it’s fairly safe to say the individual members here have more firearms, ammunition and experience safely using firearms a well than he ever has. He needs to worry about himself.

His being charged is icing on the cake. It’s what would happen if any of us had done what he did. How ‘bout that Alec? Not smarter than the average gun owner, are you?

Posts: 11203 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Armorer girl is blaming the prop and ammo guy.
I can't find it now but I read some of the live ammo was in "starline brass".Found link.

Article snip:...1/13/22
The woman in charge of firearms on the set of the film Rust, where a deadly October shooting left cinematographer Halyna Hutchins dead, is blaming the movie's ammunition supplier for the fatal accident.

Hannah Gutierrez Reed, the armorer and key props assistant on Rust, filed a lawsuit in New Mexico state court on Wednesday saying the production bought live ammunition that she believed to be dummy rounds.

The complaint names PDQ Arm and Prop and founder and managing member Seth Kenney as defendants.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/13...eadly-on-set-shootin

https://www.rollingstone.com/t...live-rounds-1283803/

Posts: 1604 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I just want to know how things got so sloppy on that set that there were live rounds, not just in one spot under lock and key, but seemingly scattered about everywhere...

- low budget production.

- understaffed crew requiring many crew members to pull double duty in other responsibilities, including the set armorer and props girl.

- a young inexperienced set armorer and assistant armorer.

- compliance with Covid-19 mandated restrictions prevented the armorer and assistant armorer from being on the set during rehearsal, when this tragedy occurred.

- an understaffed and tired crew that was forced to use lodgings much farther off the movie set than the main acting star, producers, or director, which equates to longer travel times to/from the set, and less sleep for them.

- a disgruntled crew unhappy about set conditions.

- a culture of complacency on set and a lack of the producers to emphasize safety practices to the crew, a failure to follow SAG firearm use safety protocols, a failure by the producers to allow for proper safety briefings and checks, and a failure by producers to enforce a safety stand down and review after previous negligent discharges on set.

What a wet blanket you are. It is much more fun to imagine that someone deliberately put a live round in the gun for some evil purpose.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53156 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Say I visit someone's house, and I don't even know enough about guns to ask if it's loaded, much less check it. And they hand me (for arguments sake) a single action revolver, and I fatally shoot someone by accident, who is responsible and therefore charged?

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

What is the actual evidence for these contentions?

Wasn't aware that one needed to provide evidence when offering an opinion.

Posts: 23783 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I almost feel sorry for the armorer as she's most likely no money for a top notch defense team." - Rey HRH

She knew the job was dangerous when she took i,
Yes
It's a sad thing to happen to someone her age.

Education comes very very expensive to some people

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54922 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The armorer is the daughter of Thell Reed. She grew up around single action revolvers and show business people.

Posts: 792 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
What a wet blanket you are. It is much more fun to imagine that someone deliberately put a live round in the gun for some evil purpose.
As Al Swearengen might say:

"A mighty fuckin' burden it must be upon the lawerly likes of you, having to deal with us heathen cocksuckers who go climbin' the wrong fuckin' trees all the fuckin' time. Not much to be done with what has fuckin' come and gone, but for tonight, drinks and pussy on the fuckin' house, you and all your cocksuckin' lawyer pals. Free fuckin' gratis.

Dan? Set 'em up!"