SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The dude just yaks and yaks, dont he? What a moron! Wonder what his lawyers think about him shooting off his mouth constantly?

Trust me on this - that keeps them up at nights. Sooner or later one of his lawyers or press reps or whatever is going to give the world a looong speech about how upset ol' Alex has been since this happened and how it's buggered with his judgement, his memory and his ability to express himself clearly.

Posts: 27295 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I heard a very good point made yesterday about Baldwin’s shameful interview here:

He’s an ACTOR and he never stops ACTING, ever. This was all a performance for him there.

This is all an attempt to place all blame on the armorer chick and take none for himself.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 34093 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Baldwin is saying that Hutchins told him to aim the gun towards her.

And she told him to cock the gun. "I sort of cock the gun"

"I let go of the hammer of the gun and it goes off"

https://www.breitbart.com/ente...l-rust-set-shooting/

So everyone on the set ignored "Always assume the gun is loaded" and "Never aim at anything you don't intend to shoot"

Has the FBI announced if any other rounds in the revolver were real ammunition ?

Posts: 19670 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Wait, so he’s now blaming the victim for her death?

WTF

Posts: 34093 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
He cannot escape responsibility e're no matter how hard he tries

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29790 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Wait, so he’s now blaming the victim for her death?

WTF

Yes. And he also said effectively that he didn't check the gun because he expected other people "to do their jobs," meaning someone else had a duty to check it for him.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30581 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
and he is still walking around a free man

the authorities seem to be treating this with all the concern of a parking ticket

Posts: 53401 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
wonder if the courts will be as nice when he gets civil suits against him.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11006 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a whole lotta karma comin' back 'round to Alec.

Posts: 108141 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Based on that performance, I'd say he has a real shot at his first Academy Award Oscar.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's a whole lotta karma comin' back 'round to Alec.

And that Karma is going at warp speed.

Posts: 7028 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7293 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Assuming he is telling what he believes to be the truth (yes, I know about assumptions, but bear with me), perhaps he had the trigger pulled while cocking the revolver and then his thumb slipped off the hammer either inadvertently or by deliberate action: Would that drop the hammer to fire? (My Ruger Vaquero will fire like that.)

That could be why he believes he didn’t “pull” the trigger to release the hammer and fire the gun.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47480 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
... perhaps he had the trigger pulled while cocking the revolver and then his thumb slipped off the hammer either inadvertently or by deliberate action: Would that drop the hammer to fire? (My Ruger Vaquero will fire like that.)

That could be why he believes he didn’t “pull” the trigger to release the hammer and fire the gun.

A scenario like that occurred to me as well, although I've was thinking more along the lines of either;

A) He pulled the hammer back but either intentionally or accidentally let the hammer fall before the half cock intercept..

B) He pulled the hammer back all the way to the firing position and then attempted to decock from that position and, while pulling the trigger, allowed the hammer to fall at full speed rather than easing it down.

I've never owned, or even handled a Colt SAA or clone so, as time allows I've been grabbing a few minutes here and there to read up or watch videos on them.

I believe the scenario you described would allow the hammer to fall and fire a Colt SAA as well as the reproductions.

Edited to add: while typing this post I'm listening to the Larry Elder show and he just played audio of both the Stephanopoulos/ Baldwin interview, followed by an interview with a gun expert who explained why Baldwin's explanation of events wasn't plausible... and then he demonstrated the exact scenario you described. He demonstrated to the interviewer that both actions in either sequence, pulling the hammer back while simultaneously pulling the trigger, or pulling the trigger back while simultaneously pulling the hammer back, resulted in the hammer falling.

If my understanding is correct, there are true "4 click guns" which seem to include an initial safety notch followed by the Half Cock intercept (I haven't figured out where the 3rd click comes in) and finally the Full Cock, and then another design with only 2 clicks, which includes the Full Cock and Half Cock intercepts.

I think pulling the hammer back part way on the 4 click variant and allowing the hammer to fall before the half cock intercept, will allow the firing pin to fall between cylinder Chambers. I'm not sure if this is true on the 2 click variants, but I wouldn't think so.

I've only skimmed a portion of the relevant Pietta 1873 owners manual, but it appears there are two designs, the first which stays , (more or less) true to the original SAA design, and a Gen 2 that uses a Transfer Bar.

From one video I watched, some Pietta 1873 parts are interchangeable with Uberti 1873 parts, however others are not. Apparently the Pietta cap and ball black powder guns don't have the best reputation for reliability, fit, or finish, but so far I haven't come across that criticism of the Pietta SAA variants.

Pietta offers a fairly large number of variants so, without knowing which specific model and/ or generation fired the fatal round, we're going to be stuck with speculation on the gun design.

Just a few quick rambling thoughts...I need to make time to do more research.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you hold the trigger to the rear and then cock the SAA it will go bang when you release the hammer with your thumb.

Trick shooters used to ‘fan’ the hammer to get the gun to run fast. There’s a scene on Open Range where Costner character does it …

https://youtu.be/ANsUMi1a3_o?t=210

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11372 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
To me this is pretty simple. He said he cocked the hammer but did not pull the trigger. Once a qualified armorer (not a Hollywood one) inspects the firearm and determines that there is no mechanical defect the case is closed. If the gun is cocked it will only fire only when the trigger is pulled. He held the gun, he aimed the gun, he pulled the trigger.

I can't believe his lawyers are letting him do interviews. It's almost like malpractice.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It’s his ego. He should be absolutely quite, but he knows more than the rest…ergo he inserts foot in mouth

Edited for spelling

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11372 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Yup to the above...
On my Uberti:

If you hold the trigger back and then pull back the hammer and let it go it will set off a round in that chamber. I don’t know about the Pietta.

Posts: 4077 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

If my understanding is correct, there are true "4 click guns" which seem to include an initial safety notch followed by the Half Cock intercept (I haven't figured out where the 3rd click comes in)

The third "click" on an original style Colt SAA action is actually the sound of the legs of the cylinder stop (aka bolt) dropping off the cam on the side of the hammer. The other three clicks are stop notches in the hammer itself. When the hammer is in the half cock or loading position, the cylinder is rotated into alignment with the loading gat. If you drop it from there, it will fall onto the safety notch. If that notch is broken, not uncommon on older or heavily abused guns, the firing pin could hit the primer but may not have enough energy to ignite it.

Posts: 2509 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

If my understanding is correct, there are true "4 click guns" which seem to include an initial safety notch followed by the Half Cock intercept (I haven't figured out where the 3rd click comes in)

The third "click" on an original style Colt SAA action is actually the sound of the legs of the cylinder stop (aka bolt) dropping off the cam on the side of the hammer. The other three clicks are stop notches in the hammer itself. When the hammer is in the half cock or loading position, the cylinder is rotated into alignment with the loading gat. If you drop it from there, it will fall onto the safety notch. If that notch is broken, not uncommon on older or heavily abused guns, the firing pin could hit the primer but may not have enough energy to ignite it.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that! I had a pretty good inkling for clicks one, two, and four, but your explanation of click three now makes perfect sense.

A couple follow up questions; am I correct that, on the true SAA 4 click type, if the hammer falls from click 2 that the cylinder has only partially rotated and the hammer will fall between the Chambers?

Are all 2 click guns of the Transfer Bar type? Am I correct that on these 2 click types that there is no partial cylinder rotation and therefore the hammer will fall on a chamber each time?