SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 87
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The account of the fatal shooting on the movie set of “Rust” in affidavits prepared by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office suggests that some industry-standard safety precautions weren’t followed, say film-weapons experts and industry veterans.
There probably won't be a shortage of expert witnesses available to plaintiff lawyers in any upcoming civil lawsuits.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1553 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

My only point is, sharks don't eat their own, and the press and media will surround him for protection until it gets to the point that turning on him creates revenue...

Sometimes they do. Look at Al Franken, and more recently, Andrew Cuomo.

So, maybe we should tone down the doom and gloom. Remember what the great American philosophizer Yogi Berra said: It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

My only point is, sharks don't eat their own, and the press and media will surround him for protection until it gets to the point that turning on him creates revenue...

Sometimes they do. Look at Al Franken, and more recently, Andrew Cuomo.

So, maybe we should tone down the doom and gloom. Remember what the great American philosophizer Yogi Berra said: It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

That's sexual harassment stuff, that's stuff we won't tolerate. Killing, ok, but you talk about grabbing some woman's ass, you're out of the club.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, maybe we should tone down the doom and gloom

What doom and gloom, its simply an opposing view into the possibilities, he either gets charged and stands trial, or, it gets ruled a workplace accident, maybe somewhere in-between.

While some would like to see AB hung out to dry,
there are plenty with sympathy for him being the victim and blame Hannah Guiterrez 100%, even her landlord has stated she wants her out of her house.

I think Para's right that AB is going to see this in him mind for the rest of his life, so in a sense, for all his transgressions against others, gun owners or not, he's going to pay a price.

Question is, will NM DA go for charges, she has a lot of pressure riding on the decision.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
New York Times story
quote:
The Santa Fe County district attorney said Tuesday that she was not ruling out criminal charges in last week’s fatal shooting on a film set. Actor Alec Baldwin was rehearsing with a gun that he had been told did not contain live ammunition when it went off, killing the film’s cinematographer and wounding its director.

“We haven’t ruled out anything,” the district attorney, Mary Carmack-Altwies, said in a telephone interview. “Everything at this point, including criminal charges, is on the table.”

Carmack-Altwies said that the investigation was focusing on ballistics in an effort to determine what kind of round was in the gun that killed Halyna Hutchins, the cinematographer — and on who had placed the ammunition in the gun.

“There were an enormous amount of bullets on this set, and we need to find out what kinds they were,” Carmack-Altwies said. Detectives said that they recovered three revolvers, spent casings and ammunition — in boxes, loose and in a fanny pack — while executing a search warrant on the set, according to an inventory of the items released Monday. The inventory did not specify what kind of ammunition was found on the set.

Carmack-Altwies took issue with descriptions of the firearm used in the incident as “prop-gun,” saying that the terminology, which is used in some of the court documents related to the case, could give the misleading impression that it was not a real gun.

“It was a legit gun,” she said, without naming specifically what kind of firearm was used. “It was an antique-era appropriate gun.”

Perhaps it's all lip service because she knows so many eyes are on this right now, but maybe this person actually takes their job seriously.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
The takeaway for me is regardless of what happens legally, Alec Baldwin has now killed more people with a firearm than many millions of NRA members combined. He IS the bogeyman he's railed against.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
@ 12:45 mark (ETA: of press conference video posted by Greymann) , gun manufacturer and caliber stated. So gun that fired the fatal round is a Pietta . 45 LC, The SAA recovered from the set appears to have "some modification to the cylinder, and may not be functioning". The third firearm recovered from the set is a plastic non-functioning prop gun.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
12:45 mark of what?

Never mind. I see it. I'm sure ol' Alec is loving this.

Ain't that right, Mr. Guns-are-bad?

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps it's all lip service because she knows so many eyes are on this right now, but maybe this person actually takes their job seriously.

No doubt she's under a microscope, the question is who or what creates the most pressure in making this decision...

IIRC during that video presser above the police chief indicated there were approximately 500 rounds of which included blanks, dummy rounds and some live rounds they didn't say how many of each.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They'll wait this out until another news article takes the lead.

Then it will quietly go away with a settlement.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, perhaps not. After all, this isn't merely another celebrity scandal. There was a homicide, a very high profile homicide.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Accurate or not, and it being opinion or not, I'm surprised the officer stated "I think there was some complacency on this set."

IANAL, but ISTM that's almost certain to be cited as prejudicial by somebody's defense.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
With all the publicity, building an unbiased jury pool is going to take some work.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
IIRC during that video presser above the police chief indicated there were approximately 500 rounds of which included blanks, dummy rounds and some live rounds they didn't say how many of each.

FWIW, if something like ammunition is going to be inspected at a crime lab, officials will usually avoid making any statements about what it is until the formal examination. No one wants to say in a press conference, “We recovered 500 cartridges of live ammunition,” and then, “Umm …, yeah, turns out they were all dummy prop rounds that couldn’t be fired.”

During the warrant service I’ve mentioned before I saw a couple of ATF agents examining a replica of some 19th century gunfighter or law man’s revolver. The “gun” was an obvious replica whose barrel and cylinder chambers were clearly and visibly blocked. When I pointed out that it was a replica and not a real gun, one agent said, “Well, we’ll have to have the lab confirm that.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The possibility exists that there will be no civil suits filed, the deceased was supposedly well known to AB, he's seen with her husband off set afterwards embracing,

Betting it's going the settlement process, none of this hits a courtroom, everything is sealed, the right people get paid....

Then again, I'm doom and gloom Big Grin

posted Hide Post
My theory is based on the fact that Baldwin met with the family.

Not his attorney, not a emissary, he went.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think the settlement groundwork has been laid.

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
With the caveat I may be reading too closely between the lines, my takeaway from today's Sheriff/DA press conference is if/when the bullet recovered from Joel Souza's shoulder is ballistically confirmed to have been fired from the weapon AB is known to have discharged, he will be charged accordingly under NM statute.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
With the caveat I may be reading too closely between the lines, my takeaway from today's Sheriff/DA press conference is if/when the bullet recovered from Joel Souza's shoulder is ballistically confirmed to have been fired from the weapon AB is known to have discharged, he will be charged accordingly under NM statute.

I'm hoping he will also be convicted.

Time will tell.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
I'm hoping he will also be convicted.
Well, he's murdered his career, so there's that...