SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up? Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I grew up wanting to be Han Solo. When that wasn't an option, I wanted to be a military pilot, but not enough that I would lose weight to get in. After all that, I still don't know what the hell I'm doing, or want to do. And I've only got about 10 more years until I retire.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I don't recall having burning aspirations, grand or otherwise. In fact, after high school graduation night, I was out celebrating with 4 other guys and I remember an overwhelming feeling of "what the heck now?" And asking myself what am I going to do or be? I didn't have an answer. Fast forward to today and I've been retired for 14yrs. Guess I can check that off the bucket list.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Retired. It was a good plan. Big Grin

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
An astronaut. I grew up during Gemini and Apollo.

I suspect there were a lot of us. I actually used to seek out small confined spaces where I could find them because I heard about claustrophobia and how small the capsules were and wanted to make sure I didn't run into any surprises. As happens with most kids, that all evaporated at some point. Damned if I can put my finger on when though.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Dad was an Army pilot so naturally I wanted to be involved in aviation. loved the A-6 intruder so wanted to be a navy pilot. Got diabetes and there went that dream. While sitting in a burger king I watched two cops come in and deal with a crazy homeless guy with a sword. They talked to him like he was their best friend and solved the problem without incident. A police officer was shot at the University of Arizona while I was attending and I noticed a Rhode island state trooper who made the trip on his police bike for the officers funeral. I spoke with the trooper about driving 2000 miles on a motorcycle and was amazed at how often he used the term "brother." I have been an LEO for 25 years.

Really great stories about your inspirations to become LEO. Thank you.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post