SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up? Login/Join 
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Exactly what I have been doing for the last 30 years. It's not quite what I envisioned back then, but I get to look at the tops of clouds every day when I go to work which was about the coolest thing in the world to 6 year old me.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of submoa
posted Hide Post
Apparently...so I've been told Wink, a truck...an Army Truck Big Grin.

Posts: 1273 | Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to be a police officer, and joined the military with that goal in mind.

I found out while in the Marines that I'm not a fan of being shot at, and my aspirations of being a cop came to an end.

Life has a funny way of steering you in other directions sometimes.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Forest/park service ranger. I thought it’d be riding ATVs with a rifle through the woods all day and get paid for it.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
A healthy and interesting older person. Based on kicking ass on my 18 miles fixed gear bike ride the other day, I may have accomplished the first goal.

Posts: 7455 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to McHales Navy and the Movie "PT 109", I wanted to be in the Navy on a PT boat. In fifth grade I decided to become a Marine. Cool

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid, a pilot, but reality got in the way for many years. Then I learned to fly in my late 20's. Later in life, after working in computers, I wanted to just sit on a beach chair, drink rum and cokes and piss my pants. This all fell into place.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A priest. Like Q, being a physician was never in my mind. God has a funny way of steering people in the right direction. Either way, I would’ve been an instrument of His healing.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to be a cop. Ended up in the Marine Corps, then onto driving trucks. Little dump trucks, big dump trucks, lowboys hauling equipment. Now I drive an off road mining truck, some of the biggest in the world. A Komatsu 930e.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Police officer. I became one. It is not a job for me.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fighter pilot. As I got older a Navy fighter pilot. Dang, those guys are cool, I never could step in their foot prints.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Soldier
Then a policeman..

I became a sailor
Then a cop

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My childhood home was in the flight path for Wright-Patterson AFB. So I wanted to be a pilot.
Too lazy in school though.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pilot and soldier. Joined the Army but never flew.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Airline Captain, ended up being an Airline Captain.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
airborne soldier

checked that block -- not for a career though

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I don't remember anything specific. Probably wanted to be a cowboy. My high school yearbook says I wanted to be a political scientist. I got the degree and thought I wanted to teach. However, when I got back from RVN, there were no history/civics jobs available. The school where I student taught offered me a job teaching science, but I turned it down.

Got a state civil service job as a veteran's counselor then got an interviewing job with an insurance company. After 10 years, I transferred to the fleet dept and sold used cars for 20 years. I was always a salesman, the last job was just the culmination.

Been retired for 13 years now and still don't know what I want to be.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Paleontologist

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Chef
My mother told me that would be a fine hobby, but study for a real job with higher success rate. A little harsh.
Yeah, I thanked her later.
(No disrespect to chefs of course, it’s still a close second!)

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
At the risk of ridicule, I wanted to be James Bond.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post