SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
pilot

Posts: 2218 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Firefighter.

I guess I never grew up.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A forrest ranger.

When I got a little older I realized that wasn't a real job and forgot about it.

When I got even older, I realized it was a real job, but by then it was too late.

Posts: 21117 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
A plastic surgeon.

Turns out, you need to be fairly good at math to get into med school.

Do you know what profession doesn't need math? Lawyering.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Same reason my wife went to law school

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14187 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
A Police Officer. My Grandfather was a Toledo, Ohio Police Officer for 44 years and I was convinced I wanted to be just like him. After spending 2 years riding as an Explorer in a Suburb of Cincinnati, I changed my mind. It appeared to me that Police Officers were under-appreciated and under-paid.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Same reason my wife went to law school

My son-in-law is a lawyer. I have done spreadsheets for him. Smile

In Jr Hi and HS, I loved science, math, electronics. First majors in college were electrical engineering then chem engineering. Then I focused on downhill skiing, motocross, fancy stereo systems. Then I met this girl, sold my motocross bike for a diamond ring; went back to college in business/accounting.

My reasoning was there are no differential equations or trig integration in accounting. And business school is 4 days a week, engineering (with labs) was 6 days a week (I worked 25 hour weeks during college). Most of my career was on the business end of hi-tech firms.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Starship Captain Smile

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
astronaut

Posts: 53218 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Veterinarian. When I was 13 years old or so helping out on my cousins ranch, I helped them operate on a sick steer. I figured out some things are much easier to take apart than put back together. The steer didn't make it.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Medical Doctor

Posts: 6629 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I wanted to be a trashman. The guy who rides on the back of the truck, dumps the refuse into the back, and pushes the button to compact it all!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2845 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Piano player in a house of ill repute.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Cowboy or guru priest.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
In order: an astronaut, then an inventor, then a doctor.

I am currently an inventor.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16378 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to follow in my dad's footsteps and be a truck driver. As I got older I wanted to be a fighter pilot. By the time I reached high school I realized my grades were not that great and was behind the 8 ball to figure out what I needed to do to get into the Academy. By this time I had been playing bass guitar for six years and the rock star thinking started.

I joined the Navy my senior year of high school, did 4 years as an aviation electronics technician. The final month of my service, my dad filled out an application for me to work where we are employed currently. During that time, my rock stardom had taken off, local of course and started a family. The rock gods took a back seat to being a dad. Still a dad and now a grandpop. Life is good, close to what I wanted to be earlier in life. Hell, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Cowboy, Marine, Astronaut, Photojournalist and now I want to be RETIRED if I grow up.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Rich.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Airline Pilot.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
A garbage man. What was cooler than riding on the back of a truck holding on! Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38705 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post