SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

I guess they have decided to do away with logging and other types of forestry management as well. I have yet to see a battery powered chain saw (for example) that will cut thru a standing tree that measures 30+ inches thick at the base. I have put a lot of time in over the years cutting timber with a chainsaw. Or when lumberjacks are harvesting timber. One saw, and how many batteries? Even if they can get a battery powered chainsaw large enough. Or maybe a nice 20KW generator and some extension cords. But that would emit those nasty fumes.

Around here chain saws are part of emergency management. High wind equals trees across roads which equals communities cut off from well, everything, which equals a county crew with lot of chain saws.

I can't imagine a winter around here with no chain saws.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The black market for gas mowers and zero-turns etc is going to explode now there.

Have these woke idiots even given this any thought? Is there even such a thing as a battery powered zero turn mower? How do you mow a large property that is multiple acres with something that is battery powered? It’s impossible.

Bloody idiots Roll Eyes

Yep Ego zero Turn Mower

EGO ZTR Link

MEH on the law, all electric lawn care is coming anyway, everything for personal lawn maintaining is moving to electric devices. EGO even has a commercial division. Agree it would be better if market forces worked, supply, demand, desire.... But its Cali, and the residents voted this style of governance in, so, who cares what they do to themselves.

The issue will be if the E-industry can keep up with the demand for CA and other states without creating a shortage of batteries and parts once 2024 comes around.

Lighter, quieter, efficient and in many cases more powerful, I've dumped every ICE driven product for electric sans the JD 130, and that's even on consideration to sell.

During the Dempanic, Home Desperate and Lowly Lowes could not keep E-mowers in stock, not from supply issues early on but from demand. My "I'll never mow my own yard" neighbor now has the full EGO setup, trimmer, edger, pole saw, blower and lawn mower. His yard now looks great since he took it over.

Bill says no more can be sold after 2024, so there's time to sell your gas equipment to others on the market out of state and replace it with new E-quipment...

Wonder where CA residents will dump all the bad or exhausted batteries

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
The black market for gas mowers and zero-turns etc is going to explode now there.

Have these woke idiots even given this any thought? Is there even such a thing as a battery powered zero turn mower? How do you mow a large property that is multiple acres with something that is battery powered? It’s impossible.

Bloody idiots Roll Eyes

Extremely long extension cords, lots of them. Careful, don't run them over.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

MEH on the law, all electric lawn care is coming anyway, everything for personal lawn maintaining is moving to electric devices.

BS

I’d like to see ANY battery powered lawn mower go head to head with my Honda HRX 217 with bagger.

I rake up piles of big, hard hickory nuts from my stupid neighbors tree and this thing happily PURÉES those damn things, BRRRRRRRRRRRUUUPPPPPP

No battery powered mower can do that, hell in my extensive research, they can’t even mulch grass or leaves very well.

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:

During the Dempanic, Home Desperate and Lowly Lowes could not keep E-mowers in stock, not from supply issues early on but from demand. My "I'll never mow my own yard" neighbor now has the full EGO setup, trimmer, edger, pole saw, blower and lawn mower. His yard now looks great since he took it over.

Bill says no more can be sold after 2024, so there's time to sell your gas equipment to others on the market out of state and replace it with new E-quipment...

Read it again, it says "The new rule will be implemented by January 2024, or as soon as regulators determine is "feasible,"
So feasible = never, but we can virtue-signal to all the woke crowd in the mean time, which is what they really love to do. Feelz is more important than actions. That requirement for electrical powered generators says it all it terms of the "thinking" that went into this ruling/law.

My experience at HD and Lowe's was quite the opposite. All they HAD was E-mowers, not an ICE mower in sight.
And whenever I take something back for return, it seems I always see a few E-mowers or some other E-equipment stacked up by the return desk.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 576 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Somehow I don’t see electric chainsaws cutting it for what we need on the ranch.
2024 is the ban date for new sales. I can stock up on what we use ahead of time. The bigger concern is availability of service. I guess if my favorite shop picks up an electric line or two they’ll still be around to sell the electric stuff and maintain the gas machines, at least as long as Stihl, Husky, Echo, and others continue parts support. Of course, Tim is getting close to what could be retirement age and he may just decide screw Cali, I’m outta here. Not sure someone else would pick it up and run with it, or be successful if they did.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

MEH on the law, all electric lawn care is coming anyway, everything for personal lawn maintaining is moving to electric devices.

BS

I’d like to see ANY battery powered lawn mower go head to head with my Honda HRX 217 with bagger.

I rake up piles of big, hard hickory nuts from my stupid neighbors tree and this thing happily PURÉES those damn things, BRRRRRRRRRRRUUUPPPPPP

No battery powered mower can do that, hell in my extensive research, they can’t even mulch grass or leaves very well.

That's a bold statement Cotton Big Grin

Just because something runs on electricity doesn't make it inefficient or underpowered, quite the opposite... electric power runs plenty of things that need big TQ.

Most folks don't need tree chopping, branch eating, yak cutting power for daily lawn use. Years ago, when batteries were 2.5 then 5 amp batteries I would agree with you, however now they have 10amp battery power and that makes a difference along with multi blade setups, lift, bag etc. It's a different product than 5 years ago...

The new EGO has a bigger battery, large bag, and cuts quickly and evenly through St Augustine, and that is no easy feat, St Augustine is a bitch to push a mower through, times have changed and I think you'd be surprised how well it works.

Still have my Gas JD and love it as well, but an electric would do everything it does with less maintenance and no fuel runs... One day it will die and I'll replace it with an electric mower or, if it runs long enough, a yard guy and I'll sit in a chair and give him tips on what he missed... Big Grin

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I assume most Californians want all this regulation, since the ones in LA, SF, and San Diego keep voting for these measure, but I wonder how so many morons got so concentrated in such a small area.

They will make their own state unlivable. And wonder what happened.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Let. It. Burn.

Let the people of CA wallow in their self-created suffering.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
While they are getting weaker why don't we invade and make it part of the union? Big Grin

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There may be some cool rollmarks coming on lawn equipment:
“GOVERNMENT/LAW ENFORCEMENT USE ONLY”

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I assume most Californians want all this regulation, since the ones in LA, SF, and San Diego keep voting for these measure, but I wonder how so many morons got so concentrated in such a small area.

Which is fine but then they move to free States and screw them up too.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Say what? Anti-gravity crafts?

They run on electric eels...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I switched from gasoline driven to electric shavers/beard trimmers a long time ago.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I switched from gasoline driven to electric shavers/beard trimmers a long time ago.

If you had a real beard, you’d still be using gasoline.

Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Which is fine but then they move to free States and screw them up too.
Yep. A lot of them are coming to Texas, and we don't want them!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

If you had a real beard, you’d still be using gasoline.

Wink

*zing* Got me! Smile

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there even such a thing as a battery powered zero turn mower? How do you mow a large property that is multiple acres with something that is battery powered?

If you have the checkbook.....

https://www.gardenland.com/pro...red-zero-turn-mower/

$37,500

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Power outages..no generator? As in when a winter storm dumps a lot of snow, which collapses the electrical cables resulting in home owners and residents having to fire-up their generators to oh, I don't know, stay warm, keep their perishables from spoiling, charging their phones, etc.

My parents live up in the Sierras, they've avg'd about 21-days a year of power outages. If its not some Fall wind storm resulting in PG&E shutting off the grid anticipating trees falling onto their power lines, its a Winter?Spring storm doing the same thing with a large volume of snow.

Naturally, it was a representative from Palo Alto, who's only understanding of small engines are the groundskeepers who work the homes of his biggest constituents. Marc Berman..fuckin idiot

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happens with existing gas lawn mowers? I see business opportunities.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post