SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California law bans small off-road gas engines, including lawnmowers and chainsaws Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
When you go camping and usually bring a small generator, what are you now supposed to bring?

With less gas and more electricity draw, I’m guessing more power outages. House generators are a no go? No more generac? What will hospitals use for back up power?

The ban is on gas engines. Hospitals use large diesel gensets.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Governor nuisance has concluded that corpses always vote “D” and has no problem with those elderly passing due to the new mandate.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
"Dangerous", "Disruptive", "Damaging"...looks like CA averted a catastrophe!

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
On a side note, it's projected that Lake Powell may have to stop generating power this year. That would be a huge loss to the power grid. Good luck with all those EVs.

Lake Powell was full pond in fall 1977 when I launched my boat and went 100+ miles up the lake. Look at it now:

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Newson plans on suing the La Palma volcano in the Canary Is. due to the millions of tons
of hydro carbon emissions it's dumping into the atmosphere?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I’ve gotta be honest…I thought they already had.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bans, bans and more bans. Ban it all, everywhere, all the time!

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of maroons!

I wonder if their ‘electric’ lawn mowers will run better if they’re charged with power generated by nuclear, gas or oil fired power plants?

The national power-grid should somehow be configured to allow the Commie Kooks in Kaliforniastan to have access to power generated ONLY FROM RENEWAL ENERGY!!

Fuck those flaming assholes!

FORCE them to suffer greatly at the hands of their own stupidity!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cookster,

Posts: 3464 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What does a battery powered ATV or snowmobile cost? Roll Eyes

I have a good time each week laughing at my neighbor and his electric push mower. He has to mow his lawn on 2 separate charges. (he's too cheap to buy an extra battery)

I would guess without water those in S.Cal really don't have a need for lawns or shrubs anyway so the landscaping piece is irrelevant.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Had enough yet, Californians?

Judging from the number of California license plates I see here, I would say yes. But I am confident they will bend right over and shit in their brand new 10 gallon hats as soon as our next local elections come around Roll Eyes

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
good for them

just another nail in the coffin of what was California

the land of hope and dreams is now the land of stupid and decay

keep it up guv...keep it up

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Quote-Under the new law, these machines must be zero-emissions, meaning they will have to be either battery-powered or plug-in, according to the Los Angeles Times.=Quote

Diesel engines produce emissions so I guess this will have to be decided by the left wing courts out there.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
quote:

Quote-Under the new law, these machines must be zero-emissions, meaning they will have to be either battery-powered or plug-in, according to the Los Angeles Times.=Quote

Diesel engines produce emissions so I guess this will have to be decided by the left wing courts out there.

No, it will not be decided by the courts. Text of the law:
quote:
43018.11. (a) (1) By July 1, 2022, the state board shall, consistent with federal law, adopt cost-effective and technologically feasible regulations to prohibit engine exhaust and evaporative emissions from new small off-road engines, as defined by the state board. Those regulations shall apply to engines produced on or after January 1, 2024, or as soon as the state board determines is feasible, whichever is later.

It is the state board which will decide what is a "small engine." I'm rather sure that they will not interpret a 14.8 liter diesel generator providing the backup power for a hospital as a "small engine." As of now, they have determined, or have indicated as much, that it will be gas powered engines used primarily in law care and portable generators. They also won't ban engines where there are not electric alternatives, like on a concrete float, hydraulics on a RGN trailer, hopping tamper, and other construction equipment. The worst thing is that the law delegates all authority to yet another state board. That board will be constantly updating a list of what can and cannot be sold in California. They will be unaccountable and difficult to resist.

There's going to be a booming business in gas lawnmowers in Reno. That Home Depot off McCarran in west Reno will sell them by the truckload, and that HD is a pain to get into with a semi. I know.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

Lake Powell was full pond in fall 1977 when I launched my boat and went 100+ miles up the lake. Look at it now:

Brings to mind two thoughts, one, my brief interaction with the Colorado river was washing dishes in it, camping 20 years ago. Like in some of that video, the water was like chocolate milk. All that mud/silt running down stream and into the ocean, not just there but world wide, wouldn't make the oceans rise by any chance would it? Nah.

The other being the desert that California is, perhaps it's time to start utilizing some of that prime ocean front Realestate and start building as many desalinization plants as possible? I know they have them, but clearly nowhere near enough. Maybe some of those Hollywood multi millionaires who seem to care so much for the environment would donate their beach front estates and kick in a little towards the plant? I'm sure of it.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

The other being the desert that California is, perhaps it's time to start utilizing some of that prime ocean front Realestate and start building as many desalinization plants as possible? I know they have them, but clearly nowhere near enough.

Desalinization plants require a lot of energy to operate. Where do you imagine California will get that extra energy?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Bans, bans and more bans. Ban it all, everywhere, all the time!

I think its time to re-write Mark Twain's notion to read:

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while democrats are still in existence

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
When you go camping and usually bring a small generator, what are you now supposed to bring?

With less gas and more electricity draw, I’m guessing more power outages. House generators are a no go? No more generac? What will hospitals use for back up power?
The law specifies offroad power eqpt . Small portable generators , etc. Obviously you cannot outlaw emergency generators on a hospital ..

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There’s a reason why all these companies can’t get the eff out of California fast enough.

My company is in the process of moving the majority of their business out of the state of CA as we speak to AL and FL.

Pretty soon all that will be left are illegals and Hollywood. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Had enough yet, Californians?

Assuming you can actually trust election results these days, that is the question.

Same question in play for Seattle and WA state.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Pretty soon all that will be left are illegals and Hollywood. Roll Eyes

Lop it off!

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post