SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cyberattack Forces Shutdown Of Largest Gasoline Pipeline In United States/ Update: Colonial paid hackers 5 million dollars.
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cyberattack Forces Shutdown Of Largest Gasoline Pipeline In United States/ Update: Colonial paid hackers 5 million dollars. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by corsair:

But, TR has his image carved in a mountain, while Mr. Biden will be lucky to get his on the side of a dumpster.
I'd be happy to see it on a milk carton . . . .

flashguy

There's always urinal cakes....

And you're exactly right about the "flaccid response".
Nothing really happened, or is going to happen to whoever extorted the company.

This is considered "positive reinforcement" for bad behavior.

That being said, it gives the next asshole an idea. So when this happens 6,8 months from now, who's to blame? Since Droolin Joe considers this a private matter, I'm sure the pipeline company can afford a few former S/F types. Aegis/Acedmi, hell, even Dyncorp has a few guys that like the AC/DC song "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap". Hopefully that happens.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Hire The Accountant.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15910 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Meh.

I’m going to the beach Saturday. I’ve got enough gas to get there.

At the moment, don’t much care if I don’t find enough to get back.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
The only shortages are being caused by people panicking. At least they can't really hoard like they could TP and ammo and kept that locked down for months. all the gas stations on my way to work this AM had gas, and there were no lines.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2160 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:

The idiot must have been smoking with the cans in the car.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I suppose it was inevitable....

A South Carolina woman caught fire during a police chase Thursday after multiple containers of gasoline exploded in the back of her car, officials said.

The woman, identified as 28-year-old Jessica Dale Patterson, was taken to a hospital, the Pickens County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release. Her condition has not been released.

“Before leaving the scene, Ms. Patterson told deputies that she was transporting several containers of fuel that she was hoarding in the trunk,” officials said. “These containers of fuel were the catalyst of the explosions...

Patterson was driving a 2007 Pontiac G6 near the town of Pickens when deputies began following her after determining the vehicle’s license plate had been reported stolen, officials said. Pickens is about 20 miles east of Greenville, in the upstate of South Carolina

Officials say the Patterson “accelerated the vehicle in an attempt to elude law enforcement,” and a brief chase ended when she lost control of the car, ran off the road and flipped.

“The vehicle immediately caught fire and multiple explosions were heard inside,” according to the sheriff’s office.

“As the deputy approached the vehicle, the driver ... exited the vehicle and was observed to be on fire. The deputy pushed Ms. Patterson to the ground in order to put out the flames."

Whole article can be found here.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to see gas price drop yesterday in western Missouri. Went from $2.79 to $2.73. I needed mower gas and boat gas, but didn't want to be "that guy" and fill multiple cans like I normally would, particularly this time of year. I would normally fill about 6 cans for the boat on a run, but only did 3 to ease the load on the crunch. I'm concluding there is no shortage here if the price has dropped. There may be no actual shortage anywhere, just a delivery problem, causing temporary no supply.

I believe that hauling gas cans in a car is the most dangerous thing most people ever do. Especially if you aren't real savvy about it and ensure they don't leak, put them in the passenger compartment, or in a trunk vs bed of truck.

One nearby municipality used to only allow approved metal cans to filled at gas stations, and stations would enforce it. If you tried to fill a plastic fuel container, they'd immediately tell you to stop and explain why. I don't go there for fuel anymore, so don't know if they still enforce it.

Posts: 7484 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
One nearby municipality used to only allow approved metal cans to filled at gas stations, and stations would enforce it. If you tried to fill a plastic fuel container, they'd immediately tell you to stop and explain why.

All of my gas cans are plastic. What's the problem?
I've got several of the pre-ban Rubbermaid Gott cans.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24177 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s wrong with plastic gas cans? That being said I hate filling one up for mowing and transporting in my car. Always seems like things could go horribly wrong with the simplest of accidents.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That is why they make pickup trucks. For this, and other such tasks. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19246 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:

One nearby municipality used to only allow approved metal cans to filled at gas stations, and stations would enforce it. If you tried to fill a plastic fuel container, they'd immediately tell you to stop and explain why. I don't go there for fuel anymore, so don't know if they still enforce it.

I would love to hear the explanation why my plastic fuel containers aren't acceptable.

Anyway, this genius wants to give everyone an obviously much needed public service announcement.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
More media induced hysteria. Earlier in the week, people didn't even know a fuel provider had been hacked and a disruption to the supply had occurred. Our nefarious media made damn sure they got the word out and then instantly started scolding people for hoarding as they simultaneously predicted calamity.

Posts: 1976 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet she thinks that those plastic bags over the pump handle are for customer convenience. No rooting around the back seat for Walmart bags. Just be sure and tie the tops!

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be woke Millennials at the NSA or CIA that shut it down.

You are out of your mind. Seriously. You have taken leave of reality.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Colonial Pipeline Paid Hackers $5 Million In Ransom Hours After Attack

Seems cryptocurrency is the problem.

No, cyber criminals are the problem. Cryptocurrency makes it easier, but no bitcoin hacked into the pipeline. This is like blaming guns for crime.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
How exactly do you appropriate $5M to pay a ransom in a corporation? Takes a request for appropriation, multi-level approval possibly including the Board of Directors, then write a purchase order, more approvals, etc. I don't see how it can be done in "hours" unless every financial control is bypassed.

You get the board, or President, CEO, and whatever combination is required to make that decision together and you do it. Normal decision-making is slow because they follow the normal procedures and timelines. When there is an emergency, they can act fast.

Besides. $5MM is not a really large sum to this company. Colonial is not public, but given the assets it owns, it is not hard to guess that $5MM is not a huge number to it.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
More media induced hysteria. Earlier in the week, people didn't even know a fuel provider had been hacked and a disruption to the supply had occurred. Our nefarious media made damn sure they got the word out and then instantly started scolding people for hoarding as they simultaneously predicted calamity.

My wife bought into it hook, line, and sinker. I had to explain to her that our gas comes from ships, our prices are they same as they were a week ago, and no, I'm not filling the boat and RV just in case.

Posts: 11018 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post