SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cyberattack Forces Shutdown Of Largest Gasoline Pipeline In United States/ Update: Colonial paid hackers 5 million dollars.
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cyberattack Forces Shutdown Of Largest Gasoline Pipeline In United States/ Update: Colonial paid hackers 5 million dollars. Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The ransomware group is unfortunately coopting Arby's slogan: "We have the meats!"

Ransomware Disrupts Meat Plants in Latest Attack on Critical U.S. Business

quote:

A cyberattack on the world’s largest meat processor forced the shutdown of nine beef plants in the United States on Tuesday, according to union officials, and disrupted production at poultry and pork plants. The attack could upset the nation’s meat markets and raises new questions about the vulnerability of critical American businesses.

The company, JBS, said the majority of its plants would reopen on Wednesday. But even one day’s disruption at JBS could “significantly impact” wholesale beef prices, according to analysts at Daily Livestock Report.

The breach at JBS was a ransomware attack, the White House said — the second recent such attack to freeze up a critical U.S. business operation. Last month, a ransomware attack on Colonial Pipeline, which transports gas to nearly half the East Coast, triggered gas and jet-fuel shortages and panic buying.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the other latest end of the world- the gasoline stuff- how's it goin'?

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Almost as if Putin is toying with Joe.
Joe is torn between being a puppet of Xi Jinping‘s and a toy for Putin.

Massachusetts Steamship Authority hit by cyberattack

WATCH: Biden pushes 'free beer' for getting vaccinated, stumbles when challenged on Putin

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I would pay good money to see a bunch of hackers tied to a cloud.

At around 30,000 feet.

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
So, how's it goin'? Roll Eyes

Ya, we're still here. I drove to Michigan last month with no gas shortage issues. My parents had done the same a week before me. Toilet paper seems to be in good supply as well.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, the other latest end of the world- the gasoline stuff- how's it goin'?

WTF Para? It’s almost like you’ve forgotten how many times we died from da bola bird piggy plague.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I would pay good money to see a bunch of hackers tied to a cloud.

At around 30,000 feet.

I'd be willing to go without meat for a year to help make that happen.

These guys need to wake up one morning looking down the barrel of a Navy SEAL's Mp5-SD, right before the lights go out.

Posts: 7258 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Reuters source

Justice Department is now starting to treat Randomware cases more like Terrorism cases. Some progress:

quote:
The U.S. Department of Justice is elevating investigations of ransomware attacks to a similar priority as terrorism in the wake of the Colonial Pipeline hack and mounting damage caused by cyber criminals, a senior department official told Reuters.

Internal guidance sent on Thursday to U.S. attorney's offices across the country said information about ransomware investigations in the field should be centrally coordinated with a recently created task force in Washington.

"It's a specialized process to ensure we track all ransomware cases regardless of where it may be referred in this country, so you can make the connections between actors and work your way up to disrupt the whole chain," said John Carlin, principle associate deputy attorney general at the Justice Department.

The DOJ guidance specifically refers to Colonial as an example of the "growing threat that ransomware and digital extortion pose to the nation."

"To ensure we can make necessary connections across national and global cases and investigations, and to allow us to develop a comprehensive picture of the national and economic security threats we face, we must enhance and centralize our internal tracking," said the guidance seen by Reuters and previously unreported.

The Justice Department's decision to push ransomware into this special process illustrates how the issue is being prioritized, U.S. officials said.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
US investigators recover the majority of Colonial Pipeline ransom paid to hackers
About 63.7 bitcoins have been recovered with an estimated value of about $2.3 million The Department of Justice announced on Monday that investigators were able to recover most of the ransom paid to hackers who interrupted operations at Colonial Pipeline last month.

The DOJ’s recovery effort was carried out alongside the FBI and Colonial Pipeline, and began shortly after the ransom was paid to the DarkSide criminal enterprise group, which is believed to have connections to Russia.

The seizure announced on Monday was conducted by a recently launched ransomware and digital extortion task force, which was able to track bitcoin transactions. It was the group’s first operation of its kind, investigators said during a press conference on Monday.

Colonial Pipeline CEO Joseph Blount first said during an interview with The Wall Street Journal that he paid $4.4 million in cryptocurrency to free the company’s systems.

About 63.7 bitcoins have been recovered, with an estimated value of about $2.3 million, according to the DOJ. The company paid about 75 bitcoins in ransom, according to authorities The pipeline was shut down on May 7, crippling supply to East Coast retailers, some of which rely heavily on Colonial Pipeline’s fuel. The company says it provides roughly half of fuel supplies for the East Coast.

It took nearly a week for pipeline operations to fully resume, during which time some regions in the U.S. experienced fuel shortages, and the price of gasoline climbed.

+++LINK+++

Ps not sure why they say they recovered most of the ransom as it’s not even half.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Wait what?
I thought bitcoin were uber untraceable and secure. Guess not if they were able to steal some back.
And it seems a bit of a stretch to call $2.3 million the "majority" of $4.4 million. I'd round that to about half any day.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Wait what?
I thought bitcoin were uber untraceable and secure. Guess not if they were able to steal some back.
And it seems a bit of a stretch to call $2.3 million the "majority" of $4.4 million. I'd round that to about half any day.

Denominated in bitcoins it was about 85%. [63.7/75] See the article immediately above this post for details.

The reason it's not 85% of the dollar value is that Bitcoin's value took one of its frequent dumps after the ransom was paid.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yepper

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
US investigators recover the majority of Colonial Pipeline ransom paid to hackers
About 63.7 bitcoins have been recovered with an estimated value of about $2.3 million The Department of Justice announced on Monday that investigators were able to recover most of the ransom paid to hackers who interrupted operations at Colonial Pipeline last month.
Forgive me, but who gives a damn about the ransom? What are the Federal Keystone Cops at DOJ and FBI doing to find and neutralize the current hackers, and prevent any future hacks? Likely little to nothing.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about that bigdeal. While the current fraudulent administration certainly appears to be uninterested and inept in regards to this issue it has managed to inconvenience and piss off A LOT OF AMERICANS if they continue to do nothing at some point it becomes a rather large political liability.

It isn’t going to be hard to use the issue against democrats as a clear and obvious failure of leadership. The more this happens the more it hurts Democrats. They are not foolish enough to be oblivious to this fact.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Forgive me, but who gives a damn about the ransom?

Not so much about restitution as deterrence value.

The scum not having been able to keep the proceeds might put a damper into the enthusiasm of copycats.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, so the recovery of the bitcoin is fine. Now all they need to do is arrest, jail and convict someone for pulling this off.
Then I will be impressed.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have missed this but is the Fed going to keep the money or return it to Colonial?

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Does anyone really believe that the government actually recovered any of the ransom? Did they happen to seize crypo currency from a guy who happened to post in the same anime forum as someone who claimed to be a hacker and then they (Democrats Obstructing Justice) then claim the money was linked to the ransom.

Edit: if they didn't announce any kind of recovery, it'd only make them look even more incompetent.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
So super secure crypto currency can just go poof with the press of a button, eh?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34116 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post