SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cyberattack Forces Shutdown Of Largest Gasoline Pipeline In United States/ Update: Colonial paid hackers 5 million dollars.
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cyberattack Forces Shutdown Of Largest Gasoline Pipeline In United States/ Update: Colonial paid hackers 5 million dollars. Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had to explain to her that our gas comes from ships, our prices are they same as they were a week ago, and no, I'm not filling the boat and RV just in case.

There's no need to change your normal activities if you are in an area not affected by this temporary shut-down. Go ahead, fill your boat.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24176 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
In case anyone in the Austin area is hard up for some gasoline, this guy can probably help you out.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
hard up for some gasoline?

OMG

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24176 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm no stranger to Jennifer Granholm's ignorance as we had to tolerate her for eight years as governor. But her assessment that "everything would back to normal by the end of the weekend" reaches a whole new level of incompetence.

The consensus of the "experts" is that we may have some relief after several days, and possibly return to near normal by the end of the month. She admitted that the pipeline flow rate is approximately 5 mph but thinks that the 5,500 mile length will be up to capacity within a few days?

Posts: 774 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I had to explain to her that our gas comes from ships, our prices are they same as they were a week ago, and no, I'm not filling the boat and RV just in case.

There's no need to change your normal activities if you are in an area not affected by this temporary shut-down. Go ahead, fill your boat.

Where they are at now is our normal amount. Topping them off would be an extra 100 gallons which is what my wife wants me to do because of what she saw on TV.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
That is why they make pickup trucks. For this, and other such tasks. Wink
Bingo! Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Where they are at now is our normal amount. Topping them off would be an extra 100 gallons which is what my wife wants me to do because of what she saw on TV.
The solution...turn off the TV and tell her to go make you a sammich. Razz

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
As of 6pm, the five closest stations to my house are out of gas. I noticed when I filled my diesel truck. People must have watched the same news as my wife.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the clown show at the airports, this guy thinks the TSA should be in-charge of pipeline security. Roll Eyes

The TSA Should Regulate Pipeline Cybersecurity
quote:

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
BP and Sheets stations are the only ones in my area that have regular, 87 octane gas. A very few stations still have Premium and almost everyone has diesel.

And everyone with some 87 wants $2.99/gallon for it. Damn democrats. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
everyone with some 87 wants $2.99/gallon for it. Damn democrats.

here in Western Oregon we've been paying this or more the past several months.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...c-buying/ar-BB1gM258

79% of gas stations in Washington, D.C. were empty as of Saturday morning

In nearby Virginia, 37% of gas stations were without fuel,

while 35% of gas stations were empty in Maryland.

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Colonial Pipeline, who owns it now that the russian hackers got paid?

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Does this make anyone else sick to think 5 million dollars had to be paid to get us out of this night mare.

No one could figure this out.

Posts: 1232 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
$5million could hire a team of programmers to find a solution.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
They should have paid a lot less, to one of those "personal security" companies, like maybe one of those located near FT Bragg in Fayetteville. Those guys would have happily hunted down the hackers.

And left their heads on pikes. To discourage the next set of assholes contemplating something similar. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
$5million could hire a team of programmers to find a solution

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My understanding is that Colonial paid the ransom and were given the key which did not work. They consequently restored the system through backup. IDK if that is true, but it has happened in the past.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either somebody(I'd like to think US intel) went after them and scared the shit out of them or, they know one of their plans or, members screwed-up, and are shutting everything down.

Pipeline attacker Darkside suddenly goes dark—here’s what we know
quote:
Darkside—the ransomware group that disrupted gasoline distribution across a wide swath of the US this week—has gone dark, leaving it unclear if the group is ceasing, suspending, or altering its operations or is simply orchestrating an exit scam.

On Thursday, all eight of the dark web sites Darkside used to communicate with the public went down, and they remain down as of publication time. Overnight, a post attributed to Darkside claimed, without providing any evidence, that the group’s website and content distribution infrastructure had been seized by law enforcement, along with the cryptocurrency it had received from victims.

The dog ate our funds

“At the moment, these servers cannot be accessed via SSH, and the hosting panels have been blocked,” the post stated, according to a translation of the Russian-language post published Friday by security firm Intel471. “The hosting support service doesn't provide any information except ‘at the request of law enforcement authorities.’ In addition, a couple of hours after the seizure, funds from the payment server (belonging to us and our clients) were withdrawn to an unknown account.”

The post went on to claim that Darkside would distribute a decryptor free of charge to all victims who have yet to pay a ransom. So far, there are no reports of the group delivering on that promise.

If true, the seizures would represent a big coup for law enforcement. According to newly released figures from cryptocurrency tracking firm Chainalysis, Darkside netted at least $60 million in its first seven months, with $46 million of it coming in the first three months of this year.

Identifying a Tor hidden service would also be a huge score, since it likely would mean that either the group made a major configuration error in setting the service up or law enforcement knows of a serious vulnerability in the way the dark web works. (Intel471 analysts say that some of Darkside’s infrastructure is public-facing—meaning the regular Internet—so malware can connect to it.)

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, how's it goin'? Roll Eyes

Posts: 107737 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post