SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PayPal spins 180 degrees so fast they have whiplash over new "misinformation" policy announcement.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PayPal spins 180 degrees so fast they have whiplash over new "misinformation" policy announcement. Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
Some of us here use PayPal for things other guns which they hate with a passion.

PayPal recently released an update to their users' policies that said that they, at their own discretion, would fine users up to $2500 for being guilty of posting misinformation about race, trans, etc.

Well, they didn't count on the backlash. Seems it was all a "mistake".

Woke bastards! Just another example of the woke corporations siding with the left in their attempt to gain censorship privileges over the lives of the average American.

RMD

https://redstate.com/smoosieq/...ation-policy-n639860

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20324 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
This smells of a failed attempt to boost their ESG score.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"...users who advance purported 'misinformation' or present risks to user 'wellbeing.'"

Fucking what?? Roll Eyes

I've been saying it for twenty years in this forum- God help you if you have a problem when using PayPal, because PayPal certainly won't.

These people despise their customers. They want want the dollars to roll in without the inconvenience of dealing with all we stupid people.

Stay very far away from these jerks.

Posts: 107700 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Seriously, how could one do it? Confused
You're just moving money in the form of electrons back and forth. Perhaps I'm missing something; I do have an account, but haven't used it since c. 2008.

Posts: 27984 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I never caught on to these including Venmo and others.
I've sold pistols on this forum and have been asked if I did PayPal. I'm sure it's easier for both buyer and seller but this is just one more reason to avoid.
I'm one that still writes quite a few paper checks every month.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So that was real, after all. *sigh*... When my wife mentioned it, yesterday, my response was an irritated "That's nonsense." Looks like I owe her an apology.

It seemed too utterly ridiculous to be credible. I guess, like para noted not long ago, real life has become so ridiculous that it's now often indistinguishable from parody.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
When PayPal was part of eBay, they sucked. After they spun off I had a PP/Venmo account for some small transactions. It was fine until I started getting fraudulent invoices to my PP account that I nuked my account. PP was very good at stopping them and going after the scammers, but I have better things to do then stop crooks from trying to steal my money. I closed my accounts.

But know going after people financially for being non-woke? Good luck. PP is not the government, and if they did take someones money, I see some lawyers getting involved real fast.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Elon Musk should buy PayPal next. Wink

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
ATTICA!! ATTICA!!

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Elon Musk should buy PayPal next. Wink

Not until he buys 7up and puts the lithium back in it. Priorities.

Posts: 27984 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you posted this. I had gotten PayPal emails in the last few days, but didn't read what the changes were. This is just ****. Done with PayPal.

NRA Member

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Posts: 72 | Location: Tulsa County, Oklahoma | Registered: June 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I would like to know those who dreamed up this policy and see which stereotypes they fit. I can imagine…..

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reedman:
Glad you posted this. I had gotten PayPal emails in the last few days, but didn't read what the changes were.
I've received no email from PP, recently, regarding any charges.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
With the advent of Zelle Paypal's day's are numbered anyhow.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mistake. They were hawking services the past few days. The changes were received today at 9:28 am:

"We’re making some changes to our legal agreements that will apply to you.

"There is no action needed from you today, but if you would like to learn more, you can find details about these changes, when they apply and what you can do if you want to decline the changes on our Policy Updates page. You can also view these changes by visiting PayPal.com, clicking ‘Legal’ at the bottom of the page and then selecting ‘Policy Updates’."

I cancelled my account this afternoon. They followed up regarding deleting my account information with: "Thanks for letting us know you want to delete your PayPal account data. We've already confirmed your identity. Now, we'll look at your account history, and email you usually within 30 days to let you know the status. Certain factors, such as federal, state, and local laws, can affect what data we can delete."

NRA Member

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Posts: 72 | Location: Tulsa County, Oklahoma | Registered: June 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opted out of Paypal when Beanie Babies were still a thing and Paypal demanded full access to a users back account. While I won't claim I foresaw something like this happening I just could not grant some outfit like paypal access to make deposits or withdrawals from MY bank account.

So, I don't do paypal and never will. Also don't do Twitter or Facecrap, IMO they are Pure Evil or Evil Purified. All any of these platform do is turn what should be rational people into Lemmings. If you don't know what Lemmings are I would suggest doing some reading on Lemmings and their Life Cycle.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5660 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Now, we'll look at your account history, and email you usually within 30 days to let you know the status. Certain factors, such as federal, state, and local laws, can affect what data we can delete."
Oh yes, certain factors, certain factors. Roll Eyes

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
With the advent of Zelle Paypal's day's are numbered anyhow.

Oh, the cop hater is back. Fuck you Fender Bender.
If anyone wonders why I dislike and call out this cop hating piece of shit, read this.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...230020464#3230020464

This whole thread has been in my signature since the day it was posted.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Woke bastards! Just another example of the woke corporations siding with the left in their attempt to gain censorship privileges over the lives of the average American.

I've could never understand why people do do business with paypal. Not just siding with the left. IMO They have ALWAYS been a far left company. There is nothing on this planet I need bad enough to do business with paypal.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Rescinded, reversed, regretted- it doesn't matter. The fact that they would even consider doing such a thing proves that they are insane. We don't even have to get to PayPal actually attempting to implement this shameful, idiotic shit as policy. This should have been shut down the instant it was suggested, but these crazy fools thought this would fly. The people who run PayPal are not in touch with reality.

They were surprised that many of their customers objected. Surprised. "Oh, what an unexpected reaction to our policy change!" Roll Eyes

And don't try to tell me that this was all for show and that they never intended to implement their crazy shit. They were as serious as they could be and if they hadn't gotten a lot of pushback (which, again, a sane person could anticipate), they would still be going in the same insane direction.