SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for eating fish for one who “doesn’t like seafood”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for eating fish for one who “doesn’t like seafood” Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Three pages on seafood and no one mentions sushi?

You must have missed Sig2340 who mentioned it earlier on the second page.

I had it several times in Japan. Liked the tuna but not so much other raw fish.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The fresher, the better.

For a mild flavor try cod, flounder or sole, halibut, and snapper. These are all mild, white, flakey fishes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Keep it simple…Catfish

Fried
Blackened
Or
Cajun

Can’t go wrong.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Three pages on seafood and no one mentions sushi?

You must have missed Sig2340 who mentioned it earlier on the second page.

I had it several times in Japan. Liked the tuna but not so much other raw fish.

Dammit, you’re right.

I’m a fan of many, really dig the bbq eel.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Grilled Tuna and other salt water white fish are bone free and as long as they are fresh don't have a fishy taste or smell.

THIS, grilled Tuna to a Medium/Medium rare tastes very close to beef if it's fresh. Most saltwater fish doesn't taste fishy IF it's fresh, if it smells like fish it isn't fresh, if it's lacking bright colors it isn't fresh. Swordfish, mahi mahi, grouper, wahoo, also would be great choices.

I can't believe everyone recommending Salmon, as that always tastes fishy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Are we going to talk about fish to eat at restaurants? Like Chinese style braised rock cod? Crispy outside, delicate inside. Spicy, sweet, savory, garlicky sauce. Very tough to beat. Contender for last meal.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cod. I don’t like most fish but cod is good, it’s not a strong fish taste.

Posts: 214 | Registered: May 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Blackened swordfish steak on the grill. I recommend trying that.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Blackened swordfish steak on the grill. I recommend trying that.

IMO, when you use blackening seasoning it is better pan fried.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Always been the whiter the fish the lighter the fish, not talking about weight.

Salmon can be strong, but generally it's a fairly mild tasting fish when done properly.

When I find Salmon having a strong taste it's when the filet has the super dark meat portion, stay away from that and it's IMO a pretty mild fish.

Tuna is one of my favorite sushi nigiri fish as is the Salmon the quality of the fish is key to better flavor.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco has some very nice frozen mahi-mahi filets. Individually sealed and can be thawed in a few hours.
It pairs well with their mango salsa or cole slaw. As with all fish, don't overcook it.
Agree with the comment about salmon being fishy. We eat a fair amount on the grill but don't care for it
in sushi.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1054 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like salmon as-is but I've heard you can reduce the fishiness by soaking in milk beforehand.

I poach salmon in butter over low heat..... Tender, moist, tasty, not fishy. No seasonings, not even salt. Like the natural taste.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
go to a nicer upscale restaurant, such as The Palm, and order the Chilean Sea Bass!

your welcome,

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Tilapia is an extremely bland tasteless fish that I would never eat unless I had to.

I wouldn't eat tilapia on a bet.

See Tilapia

We eat salmon done on the grill at least once a week. Other good choices for me are:

Grouper
mahi mahi
Cod
Salmon (wild)
Trout Rainbow
Sea Trout
Flounder
Sea Bass, although environmentalist say they are over fished and declining in numbers, and it's very expensive.

And any kind of shell fish, but be careful as most are high in cholesterol and many people have alergic reactions.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

Trout Rainbow

We get that fish locally from streams here but it has a LOT of small bones. Technique we use is to briefly microwave it which allows the boney skeleton to be lifted out. Then cook the fish fillets the way you like. YouTube video about this: https://youtu.be/fdrI_e7krtI

De-boned and ready for the frying pan

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
We get our trout from the store and it comes filleted and deboned. Not nearly as good as fresh caught but us landlocked folks don't have much choice. But no matter, I've eaten a lot of stream caught trout over the years and just learned how to pull the flesh off of the bones at the plate. Granted, you can't just grab a big fork full and shove it in you mouth like a fish stick.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've had trout in cornmeal fried in bacon grease - a la Hemingway. But once was enough with all the bones.

There are seafood like eel or beltfish?(?) where japanese and korean chefs will basically cut the bones in tiny pieces while otherwise keeping the meat whole. They make many many tight / close together slices across the bones while keeping the meat basically whole.

Not sure if that technique can be applied to trout..... I avoid fish when I need to take out a lot of bones.

I love shishamo and ayu where you can eat the whole fish, bones and all. Nothing like fire grilled ayu in the summer with an ice cold beer overlooking the river.....

Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Just returned from the store with a package of frozen “wild ahi tuna”… it is one pound total with 5 hunks of fish.

Also bought a 10oz package of frozen “wild caught skin-on sablefish portions”. There appears to be 2 individually vac-wrapped fillets.

Finally, I hesitated on this because it doesn’t say wild or anything, so I’m guessing it is farmed… but a 24oz package of swai fillets. Looks to be 4 individually vac-wrapped fillets, but maybe 5. I notice now that it says product of Vietnam… probably would have passed on them had I seen that.

Anyway, throwing these in the freezer. Thoughts on this selection? I don’t remember reading sablefish in this thread… probably means it’s ultra fishy. Razz

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
I am not a big fan of fish either. My wife loves it, so we compromise and eat it often.
I have found that I really enjoy smoked fish (white- cod, halibut etc), or red (salmon, trout).
The filets from Costco are usually quite good, have few bones left in them and smoke nicely.
It only takes about 45 minutes or so, and I sometimes even look forward to it.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1492 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Just returned from the store with a package of frozen “wild ahi tuna”… it is one pound total with 5 hunks of fish.

Also bought a 10oz package of frozen “wild caught skin-on sablefish portions”. There appears to be 2 individually vac-wrapped fillets.

Finally, I hesitated on this because it doesn’t say wild or anything, so I’m guessing it is farmed… but a 24oz package of swai fillets. Looks to be 4 individually vac-wrapped fillets, but maybe 5. I notice now that it says product of Vietnam… probably would have passed on them had I seen that.

Anyway, throwing these in the freezer. Thoughts on this selection? I don’t remember reading sablefish in this thread… probably means it’s ultra fishy. Razz
Sablefish is another name for the Black Cod I mentioned earlier in the thread.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post