SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for eating fish for one who “doesn’t like seafood”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Suggestions for eating fish for one who “doesn’t like seafood” Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Try this. I fix the first recipe all the time (without the taters). It's quick, easy, and very yummy. Don't overcook it!

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eQ5L2uqKgfw" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]


Jim, I just rewatched the video and I would like to try the second method soon, but we aren’t wine drinkers as we don’t care for the taste. Any suggestions on what to sub into for the deglazing and sauce addition?
 
Posts: 5937 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I had offshore boats for 17 years and fished 26-75 miles offshore in the Gulf on a regular basis.

I often had visitors from the Midwest who told me they did not like fish until we caught some and cooked them right away. I would back the boat into the driveway, fillet the fish on the gunnel, drop them in a pan, and Mrs Greener would take them right in and cook them. We got lots of comments like "I never liked fish but this is great". Yes, because you never had fresh fish before. The shite they feed you in grade school that they claim is fish has turned many against fish for life. Can anyone remember the hockey pucks then claimed were salmon coquettes? I think they were made from the fish parts they swept from the floor at the canning factory.

I don't have a boat anymore but we have a fish market locally that has their own fishing fleet so it is always fresh. And salmon that is flown in every morning.

By the way, I regard sushi as bait.


CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
 
Posts: 4154 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I love seafood, but fish are my least favorite. with crab, shrimp, scallops, oysters and (some) clams more preferable. Stuffed soft crab, Yum!

I didn't see anyone else mention filet of Atlantic flounder, or filet of rockfish (striped bass). Fried or broiled. Nice white meat.

All of these should be fresh and locally sourced.


----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass
 
Posts: 2081 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Hayes Greener. If you are talking about the place I suspect we spent $400.00 there when we stopped after going to Barrancas on Memorial Day. Scamp, shrimp and Stone crabs
 
Posts: 840 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post


********************
 
Posts: 2006 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Late to the show, but I plank salmon on the grill using a dry rub recipe included in the cedar planks from Costco. Everyone loves it and cleanup is non-existent. Try to hit 125-130, but is still good if you overshoot it. Flake it up on a green salad you can skip the dressing. This is one of those go-to dishes men should have to make people think you’re a rockstar.

Add some asparagus beside it on the grill and the ladies will love you and men admire you, lol. At least my daughters,


"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison
 
Posts: 1075 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions above. My favorite is smoked salmon. I grew up on this stuff. Lox, sable, herring.....I like to call it jewish soul food:

https://russanddaughters.goldb...algia?ref=collection

Yes it's expensive, and yes it's worth every penny. Smile Cool



"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II
 
Posts: 1840 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:

My favorite is smoked salmon. I grew up on this stuff. Lox, sable, herring.....I like to call it jewish soul food
The sturgeon. Don't forget the smoked sturgeon. And the smoked trout. And the whitefish chubs.

With a fresh bialy. A serving of scrambled eggs is optional.



Any cocktail can be a shrimp cocktail if you put your mind to it, and if you carry lots of loose shrimp in your pocket.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 27222 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Lionfish is delicious! Give it a try if you see it on the menu. Not fishy, light and tender flesh.
 
Posts: 7398 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Fresh fish flown in is NOT cheap. Here is our local outstanding fishmonger. Got my halibut cheeks from them last year.

https://www.dakotaseafood.com/



Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
 
Posts: 14318 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't cook but I eat a lot of fish. My favorites are haddock, cod, flounder, and catfish. (I only eat those fried.) I'm also fond of red salmon, broiled, and canned tuna. Other mild white fish are sole and perch.

flashguy




Texan by choice, not accident of birth
 
Posts: 26886 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
Flounder is about as mild as any fish gets,
Yep, my favorite order at Red Lobster--fried flounder with a baked potato (bare). It's a pretty big serving, too.

flashguy




Texan by choice, not accident of birth
 
Posts: 26886 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Hayes Greener. If you are talking about the place I suspect we spent $400.00 there when we stopped after going to Barrancas on Memorial Day. Scamp, shrimp and Stone crabs

Joe Patti's. One of Pensacola's #1 attractions


CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)
 
Posts: 4154 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
Flounder is about as mild as any fish gets,
Yep, my favorite order at Red Lobster--fried flounder with a baked potato (bare). It's a pretty big serving, too.

flashguy

Flashguy, I'm not sure how to tell you this, but Red Lobster is like the fast food version of seafood.

Having said that, my father loved good food and traveled the world eating the best. But he was always up for going to Red Lobster. So I guess my argument is moot. Big Grin
 
Posts: 6526 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Try this. I fix the first recipe all the time (without the taters). It's quick, easy, and very yummy. Don't overcook it!

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eQ5L2uqKgfw" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]


Jim, I just rewatched the video and I would like to try the second method soon, but we aren’t wine drinkers as we don’t care for the taste. Any suggestions on what to sub into for the deglazing and sauce addition?
I'd use water or maybe water with a little more lemon juice. Don't overcook it!



When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
 
Posts: 15244 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
Hayes Greener. If you are talking about the place I suspect we spent $400.00 there when we stopped after going to Barrancas on Memorial Day. Scamp, shrimp and Stone crabs

Joe Patti's. One of Pensacola's #1 attractions


Yep!
 
Posts: 840 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Had some nice Alaskan cod pan fried in butter-EVOO tonight. A touch of salt, pepper, and fresh lemon rounded out the prep. Good eatin' Big Grin



Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
 
Posts: 14318 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Kirkland (Costco) 1000mg. fish oil softgels x 4 daily. Works like a charm. No bones, no mess, no fuss...
 
Posts: 1157 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hogfish, (yellowtail, red, mangrove snapper), grouper, flounder, cobia, mahi mahi, lionfhish, tripletail. Tons of good eatin’ round these here parts.
 
Posts: 726 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
Flounder is about as mild as any fish gets,
Yep, my favorite order at Red Lobster--fried flounder with a baked potato (bare). It's a pretty big serving, too.

flashguy

Flashguy, I'm not sure how to tell you this, but Red Lobster is like the fast food version of seafood.

Having said that, my father loved good food and traveled the world eating the best. But he was always up for going to Red Lobster. So I guess my argument is moot. Big Grin
I know many people feel that way, but I'm pretty much a "fast food" eater, anyway. The flounder is about the only dish I eat at Red Lobster.

I suspect you'd also label any place that serves catfish as a "fast food" place--certainly all the ones around here are of that type. But there's a great sit-down restaurant in Denison, TX (Huck's) that serves a fantastic meal of catfish, salad, fries, and hushpuppies. I eat there every time I go up there to visit my Best Friend.

FWIW, I don't do "seafood"--I do "fish". If it didn't have fins I don't like it.

flashguy




Texan by choice, not accident of birth
 
Posts: 26886 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for eating fish for one who “doesn’t like seafood”

© SIGforum 2022