SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Troubles for Sig? - P320 'goes off' by itself, lawsuit filed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Troubles for Sig? - P320 'goes off' by itself, lawsuit filed Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Can you lift the rear of the slide up enough to disengage the sear?

Oooh: Excellent question that never occurred to me.

I just checked four pistols and it did not happen with any of them.
The fit between the slide and the rail tabs of the fire control unit is very tight and I felt virtually no movement when I pulled up on the rear of the slides.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47688 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless it is a trigger upgrade from GrayGuns or The Sig Armorer, I wont alter the trigger of a 320. I will put a Sig OEM flat trigger on one if it does not come already set up with one from Sig. Other than that, I dont mess with a 320 trigger.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16384 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
quote:

The point of all this is that improperly adjusting an adjustable trigger to reduce pretravel can reduce the effectiveness of or completely disable an important safety feature of the P320 pistol.

Thank you for this insight.

Are aftermarket triggers with different trigger geometry also increasing this risk?

(I do not know what geometry is different, but the manufacturer states it reduces trigger pull force.)

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Are aftermarket triggers with different trigger geometry also increasing this risk?

I didn’t see any discussion of that in the video.
I believe that a different trigger face geometry/shape itself shouldn’t have any effect on the safety lock mechanism as long as the shooter does not touch the trigger until the intention to fire the gun.

That “if,” however, may be significant dependent upon the shooter’s habits. The proper (IMO) method of ensuring trigger safety is to keep one’s finger out of the trigger guard entirely until the decision to shoot.
But if someone decided it was safe enough to almost touch the trigger before that point, then the face shape could affect things. I find there is more room in the trigger guard before touching a straight trigger than a curved model. A shooter using the improper method might find himself touching a curved trigger inadvertently if he was accustomed to a straight trigger. That’s not an issue that the video refers to.

Regarding the trigger’s geometry’s effect on pull weight, I can only think that that refers to how the shooter’s finger contacts the trigger. My index finger naturally rotates toward the bottom of a trigger guard, and therefore it contacts a straight trigger farther from the trigger pivot point than when I use a curved trigger. The distance from the pivot point does have an effect on pull weight because it’s the same as using different length levers to lift a weight: a longer lever requires less effort than a short lever, all else being equal. That may be what a manufacturer is referring to, and that by itself shouldn’t have any effect on the safety lock mechanism—I believe.

As for the video and as I understand the presenter’s demonstration, the possible problem it demonstrates is the fact that as an adjustable trigger of the type being discussed is adjusted to reduce pretravel, it actually rotates the face of the trigger to the rear.
That’s just as if the shooter put a bit of pressure on the trigger to pull it back slightly before deciding to shoot. The difference is that with a screw setting of the adjustable trigger, the trigger is rotated back only a fixed, fully controlled degree. But if doing that pushes on the safety lever which in turn pushes up the safety lock, then that can affect how well the safety lock would block the striker if the striker were released without pulling the trigger. That’s unlikely, but potentially possible and is why the safety lock exists.

The potential problem that the video discusses may not occur if an adjustable trigger is used in accordance with whatever manufacturer guidance is provided. I believe, however, it would be difficult for average shooters to determine that for themselves, i.e., is it safe or not, and of course not everyone follows directions.

I realize all that gets complicated and is probably difficult to follow as well as getting into some speculation. So all I can recommend for anyone who wants more explanation and understanding is to watch the video and ask questions there.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47688 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post