SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Troubles for Sig? - P320 'goes off' by itself, lawsuit filed
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Troubles for Sig? - P320 'goes off' by itself, lawsuit filed Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
The trigger blade safety may help some, although Glock with the blade safety had numerous ND/AD events when first being introduced.
Agree that there should have been an option for a Police Version of P320 with the MS like M17/18

Yes, good point and I agree. There are people (some rather well-known) who think Glocks should also have manual safeties.

I guess they could do both as well, but personally, I would push for the thumb safety alone. Again, no need to redesign anything, just make the optional safety no longer optional but mandatory.

Mandatory seems a bit extreme...You can do as you please, but leave the rest of us out of it, thank you!
Don't mean to use such a loaded word, but I nonetheless think no 320s should be sold without one or the other type of safety. I guess we'll agree to disagree.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16910 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I don't know why Sig only has the Compact version with the manual safety available commercially. It's also only Massachusetts compliant with 10rd magazines. I'm sure a Department could order Full size versions with regular capacity mags but their officers probably don't want them with the safeties.

Posts: 3467 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cannot envision any way that simple lateral pressure on the trigger could cause a discharge, even with significant independent rearward movement.

Correct, simple lateral force on the side of the trigger would not per se cause rearward movement, but add in a secondary vector to the rear and the trigger would actuate.

Exactly what would happen if you insert the weapon into a poorly-designed holster. The side of the holster presses against the side of the trigger. That gives it a certain amount of lateral grip force. Then pushing deeper into the holster moves the trigger and releases the striker. It's actually all very simple.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16910 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's actually all very simple.

Uh ..., yes: Push/pull/press or otherwise move the trigger to the rear and the striker will be released. That is how the gun is designed to function.

Perhaps you did not understand what I was saying.
Or perhaps I did not understand your simple explanation.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47693 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, perhaps...but my intent was not to impugn your fine detective work, Sigfreund. Just wanted to take your excellent findings a step further.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting document posted on another forum. I don’t think it applies to holstered discharges, but 320 owners should be aware.

https://john1911.com/wp-conten...Publish-Approved.pdf

Posts: 10040 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
This is an interesting document posted on another forum.

Indeed it is, and is something everyone with a P320 should be aware of. Thank you.

The bulletin indicates that if the safety lever (striker block) is “missing” or doesn’t protrude down through the bottom of the striker assembly that that’s an indication it’s broken. Although that’s true, it could still be broken and/or the safety lever spring could be missing even if the safety lever itself is visible.

Quick checks:
Is the safety lever present and protruding from the bottom of the striker assembly?
When pressing on the safety lever, does it move back under spring pressure?
When pressing forward on the striker lug, does the striker move forward so that the firing pin protrudes through the breech face?

I believe this issue deserves a separate thread.

Added: I did post a detailed description of the issue in the pistols section, but as I think about the Army report, I find it hard to believe that safety lever parts could just disappear from the striker assembly unless the striker was removed from the slide. In that case it was probably by an unauthorized user or perhaps a poorly-trained or careless armorer. Just speculation, but Occam’s razor and all that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47693 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could see the value of a grip safety like the Springfield Armory pistols have applied to the Sig P320.

Posts: 13085 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would much rather have a manual thumb-operated safety than a safety that requires a proper grip on the pistol to release. I have read of too many incidents in which officers were injured and partially disabled. Although that could still be a problem with a thumb safety, once it's off, it's off and doesn't have to be reengaged after reloading or other action such as switching to the other hand.

6.4/93.6

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
[M]y intent was not to impugn ....

I meant to respond to this earlier.
I have a tendency to misconstrue other people's posts, and should avoid responding unless I am certain what is meant. Frown

6.4/93.6

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^No worries. Your in-depth contributions to threads is always impressive and appreciated. Smile

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I could see the value of a grip safety like the Springfield Armory pistols have applied to the Sig P320.

Although rare, the grip safety has been a point of failure on XD platform guns, which is why HS Produkt/Springfield Armory elected to leave it off their next generation handguns: the Hellcat and Echelon platforms.

Posts: 3266 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I stopped carrying my XD as a daily carry specifically because of the grip safety.

Never had an issue with it under normal circumstances, but I performed a drill where I imagined a situation where I was in a tight quarters struggle and had to draw and fire my gun when I was for instance on the ground or pinned in some way, and 30% of the time I didn't get a full grip on the gun even though it was pointed at the "bad guy" and I was able to squeeze the trigger. But because of the grip safety, the striker wouldn't drop and the gun wouldn't "fire." Obviously I was dry firing.

After that, I just couldn't trust it as a daily carry. Still a great shooting pistol though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30912 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I stopped carrying my XD as a daily carry specifically because of the grip safety.

Never had an issue with it under normal circumstances, but I performed a drill where I imagined a situation where I was in a tight quarters struggle and had to draw and fire my gun when I was for instance on the ground or pinned in some way, and 30% of the time I didn't get a full grip on the gun even though it was pointed at the "bad guy" and I was able to squeeze the trigger. But because of the grip safety, the striker wouldn't drop and the gun wouldn't "fire." Obviously I was dry firing.

After that, I just couldn't trust it as a daily carry. Still a great shooting pistol though.

That is an interesting point I had never considered. Since the 1911 has had the same type of grip safety since it was first made, I just assumed it worked fine because they are still making them like that today, saw decades of use in the military and law enforcement.

Posts: 13085 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When it comes to holsters, when I buy one for my 320 (Glocks, too) I test it by putting an unloaded gun in and out of the holster about 100 times or so. I twist it and torque it to see if I can get the striker to activate. If I was a 320 armed cop, you can bet I would test the crap out of my duty holster to make sure it was safe.
A while back, I shitcanned an unmarked Kydex holster a friend gave me on a trade. He said it fit a Glock 19. Nope. It was so loose the gun would almost turn 90 degrees in it.
Bottom line: Thoroughly test holsters for striker guns. They are as vital to safe carry as the guns safety systems are.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16386 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 4 1911’s of various ilks. I can easily grab a couple of them single handed and my grip won’t actuate the safety. 2 handed it has never occurred. 1 handed its a 1 in 4 let’s say. That may be an exaggeration but I’m ok with that because any time it occurs is too many. It is easily my best reason why 1911’s are range toys in my hand.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
It would take an act of god for a Safariland 6-series light bearing holster to trip a trigger.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Just curious
Any Sig 365’s reported to just go bang?
Design and all that stuff…

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.
He's never been a straight shooter.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
It would take an act of god for a Safariland 6-series light bearing holster to trip a trigger.

Of course, this assumes that the Holster is designed for the EXACT model Pistol in question, with the EXACT model Light mounted on the Pistol though...And therein lies the problem sometimes.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9439 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Trying to get an overview:

Is holstering a round-chambered/fully-cocked P320 somewhat the same

as holstering a round-chambered/fully-cocked/safety-off Hi Power,

or a loaded DA/SA revolver with the hammer fully cocked?

Relatively short, lightweight trigger pulls ready to go?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 16177 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post