SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What car did you learn to drive a manual in?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What car did you learn to drive a manual in? Login/Join 
posted
By the time I was 16 my dad had a pair of ‘65 Malibu’s. The ragtop had a 4 speed Muncie mated to a 327. He took my sister and I to a very quiet street that lead down to the Fox River. He said if you can drive it on this hill you can drive it anywhere. What a fun car.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'72 VW Super Beetle.

Posts: 3428 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Volkswagen Beetle

Posts: 53887 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
68 VW Beetle and it was the first car I drove as well.

Posts: 2075 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Datsun something.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13124 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
An old beater 1963 Chevy fleetside pickup with a straight six, four on the floor, factory four wheel drive, and manual locking hubs. Learned to drive it and work the manual long before getting my permit or driving on the public road.

Posts: 7106 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I tried to learn in my wife's (girlfriend at the time) 72 Super Beettle, but I'm 6'5" and my leg wouldn't fit between the clutch pedal and the steering wheel in that tiny POS. I got to where I could make it go if I had to, but was never particularly good at it. Then the thing did what Beetles do and the engine blew up, so that was the end of that.

I didn't get truly proficent until we bought our 2013 Mazda 3.

Posts: 9302 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
A combination of a Ford Pinto and various "tractors" and tow vehicles working in a boat yard as a kid.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39324 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We had a XJ Cherokee with a Buick 3800 in it at the ranch, learned some on that & some on a 1997 Saturn SL2

Later, had a 97 Civic EX Coupe with a 5spd & now have the 4spd 75 Midget

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1961 VW bug, the family car. Even passed my first driver license test in it in 1969.

Posts: 815 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
'83 RX-7

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6904 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t remember. My first car was a Chevelle with a 4-speed, but somehow I learned to drive a manual before that. My folk’s car was an automatic at the time…beats me.

Posts: 13623 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife who was my fiancé at the time, taught me to drive a manual in her Chevy Chevette. (I learned to drive in my parents' 1972 Chevy Kingswood Estate station wagon, then bought a 1971 Chev Camaro when I graduated from H.S.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Orange '76 Datsun Pickup.

The most unusual I ever drove was an Lime green Trabant Wagon with wood paneling on the floor with a column shift in Potsdam, Germany in the old DDR.
I asked the guy if I could drive it.

Oh, do motorcycles count? 1975 Honda XR-75. Learned to clutch and shift in late 1974 on this one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 83v45magna,

Posts: 7416 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
98 F-150xl when I turned 16.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4321 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
An old 1971 Plymouth Duster- 3 on the column. Followed by my first car, a Datsun B210 with 3 on the floor and a whopping 83 HP engine.

For the younger people here, "Datsun" was the brand name Nissan chose to use in the USA until about 1986.

Posts: 8924 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first car was a 75 MGB (after driving my mom's old Cadillac for a few weeks). Must have practiced on one before that but don't remember.

Posts: 381 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
A little 2 door 1962 DKW Junior back in 1968 on the frozen Vandercook lake in Michigan. That car had a 2 cycle 3 cylinder engine and it sounded like a chainsaw going down the road. It also screwed up TV reception in the house 2 blocks away.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Sister's 1972 Toyota Corolla or Corona (forget which), circa 1977. I was pretty bad at first but got used to it. The first stick shift I owned was a 1977 Toyota Pickup in 1982. For almost 15 years after that I owned & droved nothing but stick.

Posts: 28756 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
79 VW rabbit. Also learned how to push start a car on that one.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post