SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wordle (word game). Don’t give spoilers! (Please)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wordle (word game). Don’t give spoilers! (Please) Login/Join 
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
First word--one letter & in the correct position.
Second word--zero letters.
Third word--four letters & one in the correct position. (I did not use the letter from the first attempt.)
Got it correct on the fourth word.

Kind of fun.

Posts: 4145 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard about this a couple of weeks ago, tried it today for the first time a couple of minutes ago.

Got the word in four.

I am very pleased with myself at the moment. Will give it a go again tomorrow and probably deflate my ego.

Posts: 565 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
As predicted, my "got it on the second try" was a fluke. Took 5 today.

Fun!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15388 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Tried it today for the first time. It took me six attempts to get the answer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31130 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Fun little game. Very addictive.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
One a day?! I want MORE.

Posts: 4822 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
One a day?! I want MORE.

Exactly ... ! How about be more than once a day. Not sure the reason, but why not have this game where can be played as many times as you want each day.

Asking for a friend. Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Got it in 3 today. I haven’t had to go over 4 yet. Fingers crossed.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17476 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
One a day?! I want MORE.

Exactly ... ! How about be more than once a day. Not sure the reason, but why not have this game where can be played as many times as you want each day.

Wordle archive. Play the old ones.

https://www.devangthakkar.com/wordle_archive/?2

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12553 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Once you guys get used to solving in 3 tries, switch to hard mode. Then it's a whole new game.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3154 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
This thread pushed me over the Wordle edge and I finally gave it a try. Took me all six guesses, but I was pretty proud of myself. Showed my wife, she got it three. Total dejection.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 592 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Got it in 3 tries today. Used the 2 words I mentioned in my earlier posts as first tries.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool. Tried it for the first time today and got it on 4th try.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8712 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
For those of us who need a little help, Unix/Linux and macOS systems have a file usually /usr/share/dict/words that contains all the words defined in the Oxford English Dictionary of 1934 one word per line in lexical order. Using grep(1) on this collection significantly reduces the search space for guesses other than the initial one. There is also a useful utility wc(1) that will count lines in its input. The words file has 235,886 lines of which 10,230 are five letter words.

As far as the initial guess goes, a word that used five of the most frequently-used letters seems to be a logical choice so as to identify as many as possible in the target word. These letters are etainoshrdl (as per Morse in English text) or eariotnslcud from words defined in the 1995 Oxford English Dictionary. I am sure that tables used in cryptanalysis will provide more refined information, such as the frequency of initial and terminal letters. "S" is the most common initial letter, so satin, stoic, stein, or stain might be good initial guesses.

Not to say that the Wordle folks use the same source of words, nor does this account for the possibility that they might be averse to choosing words that are especially vulnerable to this sort of analysis.

Posts: 6650 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
One a day?! I want MORE.

Wordle archive. Play the old ones.

https://www.devangthakkar.com/wordle_archive/?2
I spent several hours playing the archived games. My score so far? 40 wins and 3 losses. Some of the wins were at the 6th frame.

It is somewhat addictive.

flashguy

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Four today. Mostly because i didn’t see all the available unused vowels Frown

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14095 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
After Jeopardy! the wife usually turns to CNBC for a Shark Tank rerun. Unfortunately, we often hear the last few minutes of the "news." Tonight they were reporting that Wordle has been sold for "low six figures." To who, I didn't catch, but the buyer said that the game will remain free "for now." I'm expecting ads to start showing up soon. I'm about 50 words through the archive, how far can I get before this happens?

Posts: 6650 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
After Jeopardy! the wife usually turns to CNBC for a Shark Tank rerun. Unfortunately, we often hear the last few minutes of the "news." Tonight they were reporting that Wordle has been sold for "low six figures." To who, I didn't catch, but the buyer said that the game will remain free "for now." I'm expecting ads to start showing up soon. I'm about 50 words through the archive, how far can I get before this happens?
I don't know. I'm about the same point--49 wins and 4 loses so far. I'm doing it randomly and I think a couple have been repeats (but it may not count repeats).

flashguy

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Sold to New York Times for "a reasonable seven figure" amount and a promise it will remain free.

So now I’m thinking we’ll soon need to watch one minute ads before and after each guess?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14095 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
All of the millennials in my office play it.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7979 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post