SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis
Page 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

And the other primary reason; DeSantis was unelectable due to his utter lack of charisma and personalty and poor campaigning skills. He is simply not presidential material, Ramaswamy proved to be much better at it than him.

You and I simply disagree on this. I think DeSantis would be an excellent President. I think this because he's proven he can be an excellent governor.

I think you're confusing his ability to win the presidency with his ability to do a good job once he's won. The two have little to do with one another.

DeSantis won his first term as governor with a lot of help from Trump. He won a landslide reelection because he had done a great job. Ain't gonna work that way for the presidency. He would likely do a fantastic job, but he couldn't win.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I agree, it’s childish and irresponsible. I favored DeSantis over Trump this time around, but will crawl through broken glass (I hope just figuratively) to vote for Trump in November.

January 21, 2025–one year from today—Trump will take the oath of office.

I'm in lock step with this

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5135 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:

I think you're confusing his ability to win the presidency with his ability to do a good job once he's won. The two have little to do with one another.

DeSantis won his first term as governor with a lot of help from Trump. He won a landslide reelection because he had done a great job. Ain't gonna work that way for the presidency. He would likely do a fantastic job, but he couldn't win.

What you're confusing is DeSantis campaigning against Trump, and him campaigning against anyone else, particularly if that someone else is a Joe Biden. He could absolutely win in a General Election. Easily. He has a record of success, which he didn't have when he was first elected.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30424 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I am grown the fuck up, thank you, and I will never cast a vote for that scumbag Trump again.

You all may carry on now.

I am very sorry to read this. I have admired your service to our country for years and will continue to do so without qualification. Just am sorry to learn what I have today.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
How Ron DeSantis Crashed and Burned

It wasn't so much that DeSantis lost. It was that Trump won

By: Charles Lipson

“Many are called, but few are chosen.”
That verse from Matthew (22:14) certainly applies to presidential aspirants. The latest to be called but not chosen is Ron DeSantis, who ended his campaign Sunday. Technically, he “suspended” the campaign, but that was simply to comply with campaign finance laws. In practice, the run is over.

The DeSantis Campaign Began with High Hopes
The Basis: His Successful Policies and Politics in Florida

The campaign was a brief, unsuccessful effort by a candidate who began with high promise, based on his success as Florida governor. He won that office, just barely, in 2018 after a decisive endorsement from Donald Trump.

He was reelected overwhelmingly in 2022 against a well-regarded Democratic opponent. In five years, he turned a state that had been purple for decades — remember Bush versus Gore in 2000 — into a reliably red one, fueled by a strong economy and an influx of people from high-tax, high-regulation states in the Northeast.
DeSantis didn't achieve his success in Florida with middle-of-the-road policies or watered-down compromises.

He pursued a tough-minded conservative agenda on schools, taxes, public health and more.

He defied Washington to reopen schools and the economy during Covid, producing a sharp recovery without worse health outcomes. Other Republican governors followed suit. He enacted school choice legislation and, more controversially, signed a six-week ban on abortions after the Supreme Court returned those decisions to the states (the Dobbs decision overturning Roe v. Wade).

Those policies and their demonstrable success were red meat for a red base. No one doubted he would be a strong conservative voice in the White House, willing to resist the pressure of Washington insiders and national media, doubts the base clearly has about Nikki Haley. Thanks to those policies and his success in Florida, he began with more than enough funds to make his case to voters.

Iowa was DeSantis' most favorable ground
He put all his chips there and lost badly to Trump

DeSantis decided to make that case on the most favorable ground, Iowa, where Republicans share DeSantis’s values. He finished a distant second in the caucuses there and failed to win a single one of the state’s ninety-nine counties. He was trailing so badly in the New Hampshire primaries that he effectively withdrew from them. South Carolina was next up — and he was trailing badly there.

He didn’t need a crystal ball to see the future. It read “no chance defeating Trump” and “danger to your political future” if you stay in the race longer and keep criticizing the party’s clear favorite.

On Sunday, he took the fortune tellers’ advice and got behind the front-runner. That’s was the only way to preserve his chances in future elections.

What happened to a campaign that began with such promise?
Was it DeSantis personality? His strategy? Or something else?

Some pundits have said it was his personality, his inability to connect with everyday voters. He’s not supercilious like John Kerry or robotic like Al Gore. But neither is an engaging, one-on-one politician like Bill Clinton. He’s more like Richard Nixon, a cold and charmless policy wonk.

Some have stressed his mistaken decision to rely on social issues, to Trump’s right. That was, indeed, a mistake. The Republican base was more than pleased with Trump’s results on that score, mainly because he delivered them a supermajority on the Supreme Court.

By stressing these social issues, DeSantis downplayed what was really his best argument. “I can actually deliver and implement the policies nearly all Republicans agree on. And, unlike Trump, I can help us win downballot elections.” Remember, Trump was titular head of the party when it lost in 2018, 2020 and 2022. Without winning those elections, the president can’t get his agenda through Congress.

Yet the real reason DeSantis lost isn’t his personality or his campaign strategy. It is five letters: TRUMP.

That is the name that has dominated American politics, for better or worse, in victory and defeat, since he came down the escalator in June 2015 and declared his candidacy.

What the Iowa Caucuses and polling in New Hampshire and South Carolina proved is that the Republican base still loves him.

They have seen him at rallies over the past six months and concluded he’s still vigorous enough to govern. Equally important, they believe he can win in November because Biden is so weak.

Biden's weakness mattered in the Republican Primaries

The fact that the Republican base believes, rightly or wrongly, that Trump can win in November undercuts Nikki Haley's strongest argument, that she alone can win because she alone can attract centrist, independent voters.

Biden is polling in the low 40 percent range and looks frail and aged. Those numbers could rise if the economy strengths, but he faces a slew of other problems, beginning with an open border and the lingering effects of inflation.

The weaker Biden is, the better Trump’s chances. The better his chances, the more Republican voters are willing to give him another chance. ,

The Republican base believes the former president is willing to risk everything to fight for them.

They are convinced Donald Trump will fight the entrenched Washington Establishment and their flaks in the legacy media.

And they know he is paying a heavy price in courts, which, they think, are treating him unfairly for political reasons.
In the end, it wasn’t so much that DeSantis lost. It was that Trump won.

DeSantis was just a casualty along the way. Nikki Haley is almost certain to fall soon.

The question now is whether the next name on the casualty list will be Joe Biden or Trump himself.

https://thespectator.com/polit...rashed-burned-trump/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24166 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am grown the fuck up, thank you, and I will never cast a vote for that scumbag Trump again.

LOL no vote for Biden’s opponent is a half vote for Biden. We all know what damage Biden has done, now this shows a well thought out grown up view. A never Trumper, and a CNN or MSM watcher?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Trump is the rock other Republicans break themselves against, to borrow from a favorite movie of mine.

Not only him but the voters who like him best. He doesn't mind going scorched earth and he has that cult of personality and some people like it so much that they follow his lead. That's not a criticism. He has an extremely strong message that resonates. But it is intersting to see how Trump can work people up to almost despise someone like Desantis who, just 2-3 years ago was universally lauded by conservatives. Those who treasure their future are wise to just wait until he gets is out of the way.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10494 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Trump has an amazing ability to bring out the true colors of others. I don't even think it's intentional. The man is a flashlight in a dirty kitchen full of cockroaches. His mere presence makes them show themselves.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
President Trump is direct and unvarnished. Compared to most politicians, it seems to be a breath of fresh air to have someone who will actually say what he thinks, make decisions, and move on, even though one might disagree strongly with some of those decisions (bump stock ban?).

He is a loose cannon and the establishment absolutely loathes and wants to destroy him (oh look, another reason to like him.) His candidacy and presidency served to shine a spotlight on the establishment and make it a lot more clear how we are all being “managed”.

With 20:20 hindsight, it is easy to come up with some decisions he made that were clearly mistakes, but even now it isn’t always so easy to point out what would have been a better decision, and it would have been much more difficult to figure out in the moment, when he made the decisions.

It certainly appears to me that (in contrast to most politicians) he really does love America and honestly tries to do what is best for the American people. As his reward for those efforts, he has “enjoyed” unrelenting attacks from the establishment within and without the government.

I don’t know why mbinky feels as he does, and I do not agree with his sentiments, but I don’t know how he came by them. While I disagree with his choice and hope he’ll reconsider, I’ll not belittle or judge him for making it.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'd just like to remind mbinky.....

Guess I'll (pfffft) "carry on" now..... Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I am very sorry to read this. I have admired your service to our country for years and will continue to do so without qualification. Just am sorry to learn what I have today.

Yeah, it was not how I expected to start my day this morning. Damn.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Yeah, it was not how I expected to start my day this morning. Damn.

I think we'd be surprised at how many mbinky's there are out there, R/conservatives that don't like DJT and would never vote for him.

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
R/conservatives that don't like DJT and would never vote for him.

Most of them will eventually realize that it is a binary choice.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24166 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If someone wants to vote for a DeSantis or Haley in the primaries as a form of protest vote, have at it. But once we get to the general election, a vote for anyone other than Trump is a vote for the enemy.

Posts: 2490 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

That "scumbag" gave you a tax cut that Biden is fully planning to allow to expire. Like several hundred dollars a month.

Who is the scumbag again here?

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What tax cut? Trump limited the deduction for state, local, and property taxes to $10,000. That raised my taxes significantly.

I’m still voting for Trump though.

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What tax cut? Trump limited the deduction for state, local, and property taxes to $10,000. That raised my taxes significantly.

Everyone got a tax cut.

The fact that he stopped subsidizing areas with high local taxes on the backs of everyone else is beside the point.

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
That scumbag also:
- Closed the border to HOARDS of economy-destroying, bloodsucking ILLEGAL aliens
- Put this country in a position of ENERGY INDEPENDENCE for the first time in decades, maybe EVER
- Had THE lowest unemployment percentage in history
- Achieved the LOWEST unemployment rates among minorities in history
- Had our enemies at bay, knowing that if they “started some, there WOULD be some”
- Put UN members on notice that they had to start PAYING THEIR FAIR SHARE
- Appointed some of THE most important Supremes and Federal Judges for this country (buddy of mine from college was on the short list for SCOTUS)
And all that is just off the top of my head while I’m sitting here having a late lunch.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

yeah, mine too. However, while it didn’t help my pocket book, I believe it was good policy. I don’t believe that taxpayers in other more frugally governed states should be subsidizing taxpayers in CA and other high tax states.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
What tax cut? Trump limited the deduction for state, local, and property taxes to $10,000.

Yes... but that wasn't all...

Which Provisions of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Should Be Made Permanent?

The 118th Congress returns to Washington this week with a major tax
elephant in the room—most of the 2017 tax reform law will expire after the end of next year. If lawmakers allow full expiration to occur, most Americans will see their personal tax bills rise and incentives for working and investing worsen.

https://taxfoundation.org/blog...-jobs-act-permanent/

-rduckwor