SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ammoholics Anonymous Roll Call
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 44
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammoholics Anonymous Roll Call Login/Join 
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I spent the afternoon with the label maker in the cave. Ive been doing the same...organizing the mess. I got color coded labels tho...7.62x39 is red, 8mm is yellow, 5.56 is green.... Big Grin

I had a surprise when I opened what I thought was a .50cal can of links...and found 500rds of 7.62x51 instead. SCORE! Cool

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
You are definitely an ammoholic when you discover large quantities of ammunition you didn't know you had.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I finally completed my inventory late last night.
What a chore.
Even though I have beau coup ammunition, the sirens' song still rings in my ears as I await a case of Prvi Partizan M193.

I did find another interesting item, 850rds of .357sig. I knew I had some, but was surprised by the numbers found.
It is all old, going back to the days when the .357sig was first introduced.
I wonder if the specs have changed since then.
Hotter or colder?

The other surprise was how little .40S&W I have, only 200 rounds. I rarely shoot .40 so no big deal. But still.

I also found some small 20 round boxes of 9mm self defense loads. There were a couple boxes of the original Winchester Talons, a box of Triton somethingoranother, and a few boxes of very old Corbon.

I should go look at them again and see if there is something interesting enough to post a photo of.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
These may not be really that odd, but here are some 40S&W Triton Hi-Vel and PMC El Dorado Starfire as well as old 9mm Gold Dots.

The prices look high to me.
The Triton Hi-Vel has no price tag, the Gold Dots were $12 and the PMC Starfire $11.

It appears the Gold Dots and Starfire are still manufactured and for sale, though the artwork on the boxes has changed a little over time.
I do not remember buying any of these and what is Triton anyway, and why did I buy these?

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Lol. That Gold Dot box looks like it came out of a General Store circa about 1870! Big Grin

A HUGE bummer I discovered yesterday too...South Afican M193 is Berdan primed.

Nuts. There goes my 300blk plan out the window!

"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

I do not remember buying any of these and what is Triton anyway, and why did I buy these?

It is because of the Disease – Ammoholic. Big Grin

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I found some of these looking thru my ammo stash. I was given these two boxes from the manufacture of them. I hauled a 40 foot container of empty primed cases that was from Italy to them.

One is missing and I know I did not shoot it. The only shotgun I have is an old Mossberg 500 with full choke. So I know I did not shoot the missing one.

My son wants these real bad for his Mossberg 500 18.5 inch barrel. My older brother has a Remington 870 with the set of chokes.

I will probably give five to my son and the four to my brother.

They can load them for HD.

Hell I wonder if they will still go bang. Maybe they should just use them to shoot watermelons with. Big Grin

More info on them here.

http://www.oldammo.com/january12.htm

PS: I am an Ammoholic for many years. Smile

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Triton Info

http://www.45super.com/Triton%20hivel.html

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Lol. That Gold Dot box looks like it came out of a General Store circa about 1870! Big Grin

A HUGE bummer I discovered yesterday too...South Afican M193 is Berdan primed.

Nuts. There goes my 300blk plan out the window!

Don't they though?

Yeah, I found a clear plastic sealed battle pack of South African AK47 ammunition manufactured in the 1980s that's Berdan primed. So is all my Radway Green 7.62X51.
After I shoot them, they end up in my curbside recycle bin.

I am beginning to think the Triton Hi-Vels were a gift from someone at a sigforum shoot.

Nice looking sabots there.
The boxes look to be made of acid type cardboard, which deteriorate quickly.

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I was looking though my stuff and found a 50 round box of Winchester Wildcat .22LR that had a Sports Authority price tag of $0.49! I also have some Stingers from when they were in the blue tinted plastic boxes that were $2.99 Eek

I still have a couple of boxes of those PMC Starfires in 124gr 9mm too. They actually shot really well out of my Beretta Centurion when I first tried them.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:

When did Prvi Partizan become a big player?
It seems their ammo is for sale everywhere.

They make (or at least used to make) all the house branded "Monarch" ammo for Academy. Not long after seeing that I noticed places were selling Prvi branded stuff in bulk. Don't know that the Academy business necessarily led them to selling through other retailers, just know thats when I noticed it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Prvi makes great ammo in my experience so far. Have bought and used in several handgun calibers and 5.56 /.223 and have never had a problem with any of it. Consistent and I like how it shoots in my guns.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Currently waiting for four shipments. One each from: CDNN, SGAmmo, Ammunitionstore and Palmetto. No Ammoholic here! Roll Eyes

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Man but I am getting old. Plus I feel old too.
After all that lifting, opening, and re-lifting of all that ammunition on Saturday, I am paying for it now. My back is sore, my hands hurt and some of the cans cut the heck out of me.

One of the sardine cans of 5.45 was opened days ago so I could shoot the AK74.
If you have ever dealt with those cans and the cheesy can openers they come with, you know how vicious they can be.

I actually have to go and wipe the large dried blood spots off the floor today.

You see, I even bleed for the just cause called ammoholism.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Which ammoholic received a delivery today?
Surely someone here did.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely someone here did.

LOL, matter of fact an hour ago the big brown truck delivered about 700 rnds of a couple calibers. And I'm expecting another delivery on Wed., something my brand new Colt 1991O will love to eat up!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
9550rds 1980s Bulgarian 5.45, the real deal with the bubble inside the tips.

FWIW, the ammo in those tins of noncorrosive 5.45 SG had a little while ago shoot pretty dang well. They happen to have the bubble too, since lead is heavier than steel, but I'm not terribly sure what that does in terms of inducing tumbling. Anyway, I'm keeping a little bit of green powder dry against Sam's promise that those tins will be back in stock before the election.

OTOH, you certainly can't go wrong with any variety of 7N_.

I do want another case of .38 Super, though, just because I've seen supplies dry up when manufacturers go into overdrive to restock .45 ACP and 9mm after a wave of panic. Decisions, pinche decisions.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I received a consuming device. Does that count? Big Grin

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surely someone here did.

Received? No. Ordered? Yes.

5000 rounds of Gemtech sub-sonic .22lr headed my way.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
LOL, matter of fact an hour ago the big brown truck delivered about 700 rnds of a couple calibers. And I'm expecting another delivery on Wed., something my brand new Colt 1991O will love to eat up!

I knew it.
I do not think it a stretch to say that every weekday of every week all year long, a member of sigforum gets an ammunition delivery.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

FWIW, the ammo in those tins of noncorrosive 5.45 SG had a little while ago shoot pretty dang well. They happen to have the bubble too, since lead is heavier than steel, but I'm not terribly sure what that does in terms of inducing tumbling.

Mine is the good stuff, the Bulgarian from the mid 1980s, though I believe it's corrosive.
It's nothing a little soap and water can't fix.
I agree, they do shoot well.