SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you're not careful, you *will* get ripped off online
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you're not careful, you *will* get ripped off online Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Actually he's the son of bendable's father`s second cousin.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
No pictures on a for sale post is a huge red flag to me.

If you are legit and honest, you'll figure out how to post up a couple of pics.

And won't ship?

Use tinypic.com for photos. You don't even have to sign up for an account. Its a one-off.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Actually he's the son of bendable's father`s second cousin.

I see what you did there .

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Is there a way to keep money safe, with a third party or something, until an item is received satisfactorily, at which point the money would be released? eBay in effect does this. How can a private buyer and seller surely protect themselves in the internet world?

One option could be to speak with the receiving FFL to arrange them receive and hold the payment until they physically receive the firearm from the seller, or do the same but with a FFL on the seller's side hold the funds until the seller drops off the firearm for shipment.

I personally would have zero issues with a request like that from either a seller or buyer, and would gladly hold payment either direction until the firearm was received for either shipment out to buyer, or transfer for the buyer on my end. Obviously I would be of no personal relationship with either party, but being the FFL on either end could ease the concerns of both parties.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Damn. That the wannabe clever cocksucker was taunting everyone in some posts is crazy.

Thanks for your vigilance.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
I did some digging into his posts and it looks like he was copying them from other forums.

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good catch and thanks. I could easily fall for it and I don't know how you figured it out. Glad you did. Usually Nigerians have real strange language skills that stick out like a rat turd in a sugar bowl. I don't see it this time. Wouldn't a USPS money order be made out to a real person and be a federal crime likely to be pursued?

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Good catch and thanks. I could easily fall for it and I don't know how you figured it out. Glad you did. Usually Nigerians have real strange language skills that stick out like a rat turd in a sugar bowl. I don't see it this time. Wouldn't a USPS money order be made out to a real person and be a federal crime likely to be pursued?

USPS MO made out to a real person? - Yes
Federal crime? - Sure
Likely to be pursued? Good luck with that one

Posts: 376 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^Thanks^^, I'd heard that postal inspectors would persue the issue. BTW, here's one I literally just got, easy for me to see it's fake qand has the usual stylistic errors:

"Hello, I find it pleasurable to offer you my partnership in business. I only pray at this time that your address is still valid. I want to solicit your attention to receive money on my behalf. I am CAPT Rollins Stanley, an officer in the USA Army and also a Baylor Graduate presently serving in the Military with the 82nd Air Borne Division Peace keeping force.

I really need your help in assisting me with the safe keeping of Two Military Trunk Boxes. I hope you can be trusted? If you can be trusted, I will explain further when i get a response from you for further clarification. Nevertheless, reconfirm the following: Your full name, Your Home Address, Telephone Number and Please ensure to reply via my private e-mail: srollinsstan@brusseler.com

Thanks for your cooperation, God bless you and America!!

Best Regards,
CAPT Rollins Stanley"

At least he didn't spell it "piece" in piece keeping force.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:

Ahahahahahah!! That's a good one.

As someone who has a brother in Federal law enforcement (but not the USPS), I can tell you that unless that MO was for at least $15 million, it won't get beyond the receptionist.

Now, let me make a $100 mistake on my income taxes...

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sj4550:
USPS MO made out to a real person? - Yes
Federal crime? - Sure
Likely to be pursued? Good luck with that one

I was working with postal inspectors about 15-20 years ago. Cases had to be prioritized because there were not enough inspectors to investigate all the mail fraud. The trigger was $50,000. Most of the Nigerian credit card scams hovered around $45,000. Go figure. I imagine that trigger is even higher today.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorcopm4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat:

Try imgur.com.

thanks, ill give that one a try this evening.

I use tinypic after photobucket screwed up

Posts: 416 | Location: Myrtle Beach SC | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was working with postal inspectors about 15-20 years ago. Cases had to be prioritized because there were not enough inspectors to investigate all the mail fraud. The trigger was $50,000. Most of the Nigerian credit card scams hovered around $45,000. Go figure. I imagine that trigger is even higher today.

I can't tell you how sad that makes me thinking of some of the types of people who they are ripping off. Old widows, etc. My mom got the "I'm the Seattle prosecutor and your grandson has been arrested and needs bail money" the other day. She came inches from falling for it. Fortunately she didn't and she called me so I could send the money if it needed to be sent. (it didn't and if my son gets his ass arrested he's on his own anyway and he knows if I get involved he'll get his ass kicked by me after the cops get done with him)

Picture of rolin808
posted Hide Post
Para has always kept watch over his flock and for that I’m always grateful
Thank you Para
PS
In Hawaii we have people pretending to be from the gas, electric, etc company and are threading to shut off your .... whatever and if you don’t pay then your going to be without water, gas,etc...
They either do it over the phone but have sometimes come to peoples homes with credentials just to get in your house to scope out what they can come back to steal. With Xmas right around the corner please don’t let these sacks of S into your house or even open your door without calling to confirm with your local utilities company first.
A utility service person would never object to you confirming who they claim to be.
Anyhow Happy Holidays from Hawaii

Everyone has their own personal Demons , I just tend to let mine out

Posts: 710 | Location: Honolulu | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Another one.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...330055254#7330055254

See what they're doing, guys? They're first establishing a posting history then they're dropping in bogus ads for desireable items.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...sts&u=6550094644&p=1

When it comes tomaking purchases through Classifieds in this forum, be the most skeptical person on the planet. Asks questions. Think carefully before you take the bait of an attractive price.

WARPIG, good call. You nailed this POS Nigerian fucker

Note his comment on Africa:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...870015254#7870015254

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107481 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Who says "I will buy it"?

I hope fire ants eat his crotch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Who says "I will buy it"?
Someone whose first language is something other than English.

Be skeptical. Ask for photos. Ask questions. If they don't like it, then don't bother with them.

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
This is the same guy who made the disturbing comment about "human target practice" in this thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...090024254#8090024254

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
This is the same guy who made the disturbing comment about "human target practice" in this thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...090024254#8090024254
That shows what it's like in the garbage pile he calls his home country.

Life is cheap where he comes from, and he has n idea how comments such as "human target practice" are viewed in the civiized world. We're gun owners and we will defend our lives, loved ones and property if need be, but we're not animals. He doesn't undertsand this, doesn't know any better

See ya next time, Zeus baby.