SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Black Panther nominated for Oscar Best Picture
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Panther nominated for Oscar Best Picture Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine: Panther even being nominated is a disgrace to the Academy.

I think that horse left the barn a long time ago.

I've stopped following what movies/musician gets what award, the last 20-25 years have only reinforced my option that they're all giant, self-congratulatory circle-jerks. There's so many 'award shows' it's nauseating...the pandering, peacocking, prancing and soap boxing has turned-off all but the most vain and shallow.

This. Who gives a fuck about the awards anymore, I sure don't.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, had you been watching this silly awards show in 1990 or 1991, you could have watched Akira Kurosawa accept a special Oscar for his work, and stand in front of all those hyper-conceited buffoons and say that he believed that if he continued to work towards it, he may achieve an understanding of the language of cinema.

I was watching when he said this and I can tell you that I wouldn't have missed it for the world. A master like that, humbling himself when it should be apparent to anyone paying attention that he had gone farther towards that goal than anyone else in that room.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Wait a minute. Black Panther has been nominated, but Black Dynamite never was? Now that's a bunch of bull right there.

Blackula was completely snubbed back in the day.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
watched them when Bob Hope hosted. I think he stopped in the late 70’s. I just liked Bob Hope.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Also, it’s the complete hypocrisy of Hollyweird, as evidenced by the Harvey Weinstein clusterfuck, that pisses me off. Everyone in the business knew that Weinstein was a sick, rapey son of a bitch, & nobody said shit or did anything about it. All the while, they are lecturing us on how to live. Then when Weinstein gets caught, he says he’ll make up for it by going after the NRA.

The hypocrisy is more than I can bear.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Green Book, Vice, or The Favourite. Panther even being nominated is a disgrace to the Academy. It’s the equivalent of a participation trophy. I’d say the same if any SuperHo film got nominated. This is a joke.

has any superhero movie ever been nominated?

I stopped watching them years ago, got a bit tired of watching some superhero destroy what was left of the world to defend us against some super villain that already destroyed most of it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The Academy Awards is a shitshow, it has no significance whatsoever other than a "showcase" for the Hollywood elite. Or at least it used to be. Now it is a propaganda commie shitshow that makes the Gillette ad pale in comparison.

Also when How Green Was My Valley gets Best Picture over Citizen Kane, you know something is fishy with the Oscars.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Green Book, Vice, or The Favourite. Panther even being nominated is a disgrace to the Academy. It’s the equivalent of a participation trophy. I’d say the same if any SuperHo film got nominated. This is a joke.

I stopped watching them years ago, got a bit tired of watching some superhero destroy what was left of the world to defend us against some super villain that already destroyed most of it,

Just off of the top of my head without doing a Giggle search, I'd guess maybe the original score from Superman by John Williams. Other than that, I got nothing.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
This will have zero impact on my life, so I am not going to devote any intellectual or emotional effort contemplating it, beyond reading this thread and marveling ( ha ! see what I did there ) at how worked up people are getting about it.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgrdvm:
This will have zero impact on my life, so I am not going to devote any intellectual or emotional effort contemplating it, beyond reading this thread and marveling ( ha ! see what I did there ) at how worked up people are getting about it.
Uh huh. This is intellectual dishonesty. You are, in fact, in this thread. You chose to open it, chose to read it, and chose to respond to it. But, after all that, you say it doesn't matter to you, except for your amusement at those who take this seriously.

Try being honest instead of smug

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
There's nothing special about the movie besides that there where racists and trying to portray african culture.

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
I actually thought the Spider-Man cartoon was better than the Black Panther - in fact I thought it was the best MCU movie of the year (and it had a black protagonist too, but it was well written and wasn't preachy).

-tOM

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

It's the first superhero movie to be nominated for Best Picture. It won't win. The nomination is by itself is throwing a bone to the superhero genre. I remember when Beauty and the Beast was nominated in 1992. Same thing. That was throwing a bone to animation. Years later, they came up w/ the Best Animated Feature Film, which is their way of saying, an animated film shouldn't be as highly regarded as a live-action film.

The unwritten rule is that animated movies, superhero movies, comedies, and sci-fi (I realize there are few exceptions) aren't worthy of being awarded Best Picture. How can someone successfully argue The Dark Knight not getting a Best Picture nomination, but Black Panther does? I mean an argument based on cinematic qualities.

Black Panther's nomination is enough of a SJW political statement by itself. There are other nominees that make bigger political statements and are bigger SJW darlings, so if BP won over them, it'd be an insult to Hollywood Progressives.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
something is fishy with the Oscars.
Smile

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually enjoyed black panther and thought it was a well crafted comic book movie.

However, I don't think it deserves to be considered for best picture. While decent, it was as para pointed out it was a fairly standard Sci Fi/ Super hero movie. Nothing monumental.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post