SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas jumped up $.30 in the last 4 days, what’s it doing in your neck of the woods?
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 52
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas jumped up $.30 in the last 4 days, what’s it doing in your neck of the woods? Login/Join 
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Jumped up from $5.65 to $5.85 this morning for regular.

Posts: 1891 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
wife and I went to lunch today. Which rarely ever happens. Was $50 which included the tip. A couple of beers. A chili burger and a chicken sandwich. So no gas is not more than food either these days. Disgusting. All of it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19104 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yesterday gas was down 16¢ from the high, now at 3.83 at Walmart in San Antonio.

Posts: 26847 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Now $12.20 here.....................

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

I don't know how you guys do it.

Posts: 7388 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of sig 226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
$4.59 (premium) at Costco today. Seems to have topped out and is hovering a exactly a buck above where it was before the Russia stuff and immediately before Biden tapped the strategic oil reserve a few months ago. I think it dropped to $3.49 for a few weeks after he removed the oil from reserves.

I'd like to think someone in his administration would say "hey maybe this weakening the country by purposely limiting the supplies of oil may not have been a good idea." About zero chance, but I'll still hope they ease some restrictions and push some projects through.

According to the app, it's $3.95 and $4.45 this morning. Perhaps a good sign things are leveling off since oil is off it's highs now.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2655 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

Clown cars is how they do it.

But seriously have you ever been to Europe? Most cars are tiny and 4 cylinder, and it’s been that way for years. I know in the UK, electric cars are really taking off because of the insane price of fuel, their electric rates are way higher than ours too but I guess it’s still more economical than petrol.

Posts: 33582 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is anyone else annoyed at how the prices go up by 10 or 20 cents at a shot but come down by the penny and slowwwwly.

It’s been that way for years but it’s really obvious now, in my area we had 4(!) price increases over ONE WEEKEND, from $3.75 to $4.45: that’s 70 cents in 3 days.

Now it’s $4.25 3 weeks later Roll Eyes

Posts: 33582 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t know the specifics of most places in western Europe, but in general there is much more public transportation available. Another commonly overlooked fact is that the distances one might commonly travel are far shorter than is often the case in the US. For me to get to the specialty clinics at the nearest VA facility, for example, I have to travel well over 100 miles and doing that by public transportation would be extremely time consuming at best, and nearly impossible at worst.

That same 100 miles is the same distance between the two major United Kingdom cities of London and Birmingham, and I’d bet a nickel that there are trains and buses that regularly travel between the two. Looking at a map shows what a large percentage that distance covers most of the heavily populated parts of the country. The entire distance from the south of England to the north of Scotland can be driven in a single day (based on what I can find on the Internet). A long day to be sure, but less than the day’s journey I had from Denver to Knoxville, TN.

I still recall with some amazement a conversation I had long ago with a Foreign Service officer (State Department diplomat) who had grown up in the Washington, DC, area and who had recently returned from a tour in Europe. She confidently announced that Americans could just as easily do without automobiles as Europeans could. She obviously had no concept of what life was like in most parts of the US (she still lives in DC today and owns … an SUV!).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47363 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Filled up the tank in my half ton F150. Oh yes, FJB given that is exactly what he's doing to us.

I then drove to the grocery store to buy the same things I buy weekly. My bill would normally be ~$70. This week, $112. Same amount of groceries, 60% more out of pocket. If you tell me inflation it ~7% we're gonna have a problem. Mad

May Joe Biden choke to death on his next ice cream cone. Mad

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Got no option..... Frown

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
quote:

Clown cars is how they do it.

But seriously have you ever been to Europe? Most cars are tiny and 4 cylinder, and it’s been that way for years. I know in the UK, electric cars are really taking off because of the insane price of fuel, their electric rates are way higher than ours too but I guess it’s still more economical than petrol.

I guess it's a fair time since you've been to 'Europe'. Our family car is a Mercedes-Benz E-Class diesel station wagon with a turbocharged six that makes over 50mpg on a decent trip. Second car is a Porsche Boxster and even THAT makes over 30 mpg.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
As I expected: I paid $4.55/gal. for Mobil mid-grade on Thursday.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25999 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I noticed today Iowa's cheap gas, with 10% ethanol in it, dropped to $3.69/gal from $3.89.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Diesel last week on the way to and in the Keys was between $5.00 and $5.70. On the way home yesterday, $4.90 to $5.70, but there was a marked drop in South Bay, Clewiston and Moore Haven. They were all $5.60 last week, but between $5.06 and $5.35 yesterday with most being on the $5.05 end.

Posts: 10815 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess it's a fair time since you've been to 'Europe'. Our family car is a Mercedes-Benz E-Class diesel station wagon with a turbocharged six that makes over 50mpg on a decent trip.

Interesting. Straight (inline) six or V6? It probably isn't laden with US-style emission controls, namely DEF (diesel exhaust fluid, without which it slows down and eventually stops running) and a DPF (diesel particulate filter). The latter also requires periodic "regeneration" to burn off the trapped soot and replacement ($$$). If such a car were sold here with all that, it probably wouldn't get 50 mpg.

Posts: 27816 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

I guess it's a fair time since you've been to 'Europe'. Our family car is a Mercedes-Benz E-Class diesel station wagon with a turbocharged six that makes over 50mpg on a decent trip.

Interesting. Straight (inline) six or V6? It probably isn't laden with US-style emission controls, namely DEF (diesel exhaust fluid, without which it slows down and eventually stops running) and a DPF (diesel particulate filter). The latter also requires periodic "regeneration" to burn off the trapped soot and replacement ($$$). If such a car were sold here with all that, it probably wouldn't get 50 mpg.

It's a V6 with DPF. It also has Bluetec as part of the fuel system. I occasionally give it some beans on a couple of back roads around here and it has now 95K and no sign of needing a new unit. Mercedes-Benz no longer make an in-line six, AFAIK. Apart from my 1982 380SL our last five M-Bs. E-class and MLs, have had diesel V6 engines....

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Looks like raiding our strategic oil reserve instead of increasing production has had a temporary effect on prices. Down 14¢ from last week's fill up. $4.599→$4.459

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has dropped ten cents a gallon at the Speedway station nearby. The Shell and Sunoco have held
steady the past two weeks.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$4.59/gal for regular here this morning.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post