SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12***
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shutting down Classifieds. **update, page 12*** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para.

Posts: 234 | Location: GA. | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Glad to see this issue was resolved. A great forum all around.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Resolved...No., but a plan for the way forward is being formulated. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I’m glad to see it’s not closing. I haven’t used it much lately, but it was the first place I checked for a long time. I still check it out sometimes, but not like before. Still, glad it’s staying.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry to see this happen. I’m also sorry to see it take up so much time and cause so much frustration, especially for Pars.

I’ve done many a deal in the past with long time members where items were shipped before payment was even received because of the trust established on this forum

Maybe I shouldn’t admit to that, but it’s true. This forum’s tight knit community has a core that I almost want to say is unique in the internet gun community. It’s been built with trust and respect over the course of literal decades. I lost sight of that for a while, but I do believe it.

So it pisses me off when that trust and community are abused, and that long time trust is endangered.

Thank you, Para, for trying to hold it together. The bulk of the credit for what I described above lies with you, with the rest spread amongst that core who are, fortunately, a little too numerous for me to name. I believe the spirit of that group is still there, and will prevail.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigNutP225
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear this as well. My experience (more so in years past , I have not bought or sold much lately) in buying and selling has been very good. I felt like I was trading with friends. Thanks Para

Posts: 738 | Registered: February 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am glad to see the classifieds stay open. I have yet to use it but I have seen more fair pricing from members and vendors here vs other places. Thank you Para and those involved in making this happen.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddy345:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/2880047884

Good grief

Got you beat… “This guy” actually had the nerve to double down and bump his OP in the thread that started all of this!

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6660063884

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just. Wow. What was it Robert Downey Jr said in Tropic Thunder?

quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

Good grief

Got you beat… “This guy” actually had the nerve to double down and bump his OP in the thread that started all of this!

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Wow. Just. Wow. What was it Robert Downey Jr said in Tropic Thunder?

Of course Shawshank qualifies too…

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Good grief

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E_Rock81
posted Hide Post
I’ve been very fortunate in that, I never had one bad transaction on the classifieds. I did have one instance where a member accused me of not replying to his emails, and selling to someone else. I can’t remember, it was either Chris or Arc that took care of it for me after I forwarded the email correspondence. I never needed to put up a WTB, because all the vendors on the forum had all the stuff I wanted. Lol! Sigforum was the very first gun forum I’ve ever joined and it’s still the one I frequent the most. I do miss the days of wheelin’ and dealin’ where we sent items and payment first on good faith and it always seemed to work out. Para has an awesome thing going here and I’m glad the classifieds are still staying open.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: July 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

This proves that this guys is just clueless, absolutely clueless and just doesn't GAF.

Unbelievable. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Whoa, calm down, he did take his email address out of his ad

Roll Eyes

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, guys, the point has been made, and then some.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve been cruising some local classifieds and Craigslist for a couple things and it’s a nightmare. You ruined every other online classifieds for me Para.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the end, I couldn't take away the marketplace from our longtime, trustworthy vendors and from all the members, many of whom have expressed their support in this thread.

Para, thanks so much for everything you do for the site. Not just classifieds, but everything.

This has become my go-to for information from people I trust, deals from sites that are vetted, gear that I know is well-looked after, and a place to find new homes for stuff that doesn't get used like it deserves.

It was a huge help to me when my daughter was first born and I was struggling in law school, both for the community and for the opportunity to sell some "single guy" stuff without getting scammed on eBay.

A big "thanks" for that is long overdue and probably deserves a better spot than here, but thank you for giving us all a good, safe spot to hang out all the same.

LB

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
While cleaning out old emails, I ran across this exchange from last July. Notice the misunderstanding about our email policy, which, despite what the member thinks, actually prevents the harvesting of emails. I get lectures like this from time to time. Usually, I respond in detail. Additionally, SIGforum does have PM capability. I simply choose to not activate it, for reasons I have explained, in this thread, I think.

His complaint:

I see that you removed my sales thread for the Sig P220 and P226. I have
been a member of the sigforum since 2007. The fact that you force members
to post their email addresses where they can be scraped by bots is awful.
This practice has been long abandoned by every other forum I am a member
of. The website itself is antiquated and should be upgraded to the
standards like the coltforum.com. I use a vpn because my ISP has no need
to know where I surf the web, period. Perhaps you should upgrade the
forum, it matters little to me if I post there or not at this point as you
can't even send a private message to other members with the current
system.

____

My response:

Since the email address is displayed only in the *profile*, which is
accessible only to members logged in with a forum account- and since I
examine each and every one of the registrant submissions and carefully
screen them, I submit that you don't know what you're talking about with
respect to the harvesting of email addresses. In order to access a
member's email address, authentication is required.
Now, if a member posts their email address for all the world to see, it's
fair game for all the predators, but that's not what we mean when we say
you must display an email address; this refers only to your profile.

Regarding your use of a VPN, I couldn't care less how you connect to the
internet and how you connect to my forum, except when you're selling in
Classifieds. If you'll think about it from my point of view for a second-
you have a couple of dozen posts in the forum, most of which are long
gone. You registered in 2007, yes, but you haven't really contributed to
the forum, and then, you show up, refuse to ahdhere to policy after being
advised, and you're disguising your location. Honestly, can you not see
how this might appear suspicious?

You say "it matters little to me if I post there or not at this point"
which is funny, since you haven't really posted in the 14 years you've
been registered.

But, what really gets me is the sense of entitlement coming from you.
You're lecturing me on the current state of my forum, as if you're not
getting the full value for the membership fee you've paid. And, by the
way, I like the forum just exactly as it is. You're free to compare
SIGform to whomever. That's not my concern or my problem.

Removing your ad was nothing personal, unless you think it's personal when
the police come around. You're still welcome in the forum, which, given
your email, some might consider to be a generous attitude.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Additionally, SIGforum does have PM capability. I simply choose to not activate it, for reasons I have explained, in this thread, I think.

You did:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The forum software has always had PM capability. I simply won't enable it. It's been many years, but we used to have members here who thought they had a say in the running of this place, and private messaging would have contributed to their devious backchannel, backstabbing bullshit.

Also, it would be something else which would have to be monitored, because as sure as I'm sitting here, some members would use it to snipe at each other, and I am not babysitting that crap.

Was all the way back on page four.

Then there was the forum, don't recall which, in which some members seemed to be unclear on what the "P" in "PM" meant, and would copy-and-paste PMs to the open forums. This of course created yet more headaches for the ownership and staff.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Thank you for keeping Classifieds alive Para.

I've had the pleasure of buying and selling quite a bit of good stuff here over the years.

I'd hate to see it go away.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4191 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post