Tools

Safety razor Login/Join 
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Game Changer - all stainless DE razor, great price. Currently out of stock, but a waiting list and super value:

Game Changer

I just discovered these last night. This is the one I'm going to buy as soon as it's back in stock.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My local pharmacy had Williams Mug Shaving Soap when I stopped there today, so I picked up a bar, actually got it cheaper than through Amazon.

I have an old badger brush that I used a bit some years back, so I tried cleaning it up, but despite soaking it and lathering it with an old bar of Colgate mug soap, it smells like -- an old badger. Or at least like some wild animal that lives in a hole in the ground. I don't remember it smelling like this when I used it in the past.

Any suggestions that don't involve soaking it in flammable liquids and heating it up?

Since getting the Parker 99, I've been using Harry's shaving cream, since it was better than my old favorite Edge when I was looking for a good multi-blade razor. Several times it's been suggested here that a shaving soap like Williams would be better, so I'm giving it a try.

Any ideas I can try?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
You’re not supposed to smell it, you’re supposed rub it on your face...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rub a badger on my face? Now, this thread is getting creepy! Eek

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried shaving soaps and creams and went back to Barbasol for a smoother quicker shave.

Merkur 41c DE with Wallmart (German) blades.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried Barbasol a couple years ago and didn't think it worked as well as Edge.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
I recently received an inexpensive butterfly safety razor with sample blades. I’ve used it a couple of times now and I’m ready to take the plunge.

It seems that many people like the Edwin Jagger DE89. However, it appears to be cheaply made with cast material that can fail with constant use or with being accidentally dropped. In particular, the threaded post that screws into the handle seems to be the common point of failure.

I’m willing to invest a little more in a unit that uses better material. I’d like to find something that’s stainless steel for example. However, I’d like it to be beginner friendly in terms of aggressiveness just like the DE89.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Well, I found exactly what I was looking for:

Feather AS-D2

I realize that "well-made" doesn't come cheap but $165!! Damn, that's an expensive razor. I'll have to keep looking.

Think that's an expensive razor? Price a high end straight razor from Germany or Japan. Prices run from $500-1,300.

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newto,

I would toss the badger brush and get a synthetic.

I prefer the Omega hard shaving cream to soaps.

In soaps I have come to prefer Van der Hagen. The local Walmart used to carry it but on my last visit it was missing with no place on the shelf for it.

Posts: 776 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I have an old badger brush that I used a bit some years back, so I tried cleaning it up, but despite soaking it and lathering it with an old bar of Colgate mug soap, it smells like -- an old badger. Or at least like some wild animal that lives in a hole in the ground. I don't remember it smelling like this when I used it in the past.

Any suggestions that don't involve soaking it in flammable liquids and heating it up?

You might try soaking it in a mild vinegar solution or Borax solution then rinsing really well and letting it dry. I quit shaving last year and grew a beard. I researched how to clean badger brushes before storing mine. There are a lot of recommendations but I recall Borox and vinegar both being pretty common suggestions for sanitizing. I washed mine with Palmolive then soaked it in a vinegar/water mixture for a few hours, rinsed again really well and let it dry for a couple of days before putting it away. I just checked it and it smells just fine, no different than a new brush.

十人十色

Posts: 2109 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'll price out some new brushes first. Wink

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I keep a full beard trimmed shortly.
Shave cheeks and neck daily.

Would a DE safety razor be good for just shaving my neck and cheeks?

At some point may decide to start shaving my head as well.
How does a DE safety razor work for the bald guys?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5294 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think most of us choose DE because of the close shave we can get with them. Base your decision on that, rather than your beard. I don't think you can trim around your beard any better with a DE or a multi-blade. As to shaving your head, I've never don't that, but I'll suggest starting with a multi-blade since it's easier to avoid cutting yourself.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't like barbasol either. Edge or the Gillette fusion gel is good.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a Clubman brush, a cheapie at $6.99, which I'll upgrade if it works out, and a razor and brush stand.

Jimmie123x, I ended up switching from Edge to Harry's and it works better with the DE. I'll stick with it if the puck doesn't work out. Walmart carries it.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
I keep a full beard trimmed shortly.
Shave cheeks and neck daily.

Would a DE safety razor be good for just shaving my neck and cheeks?

At some point may decide to start shaving my head as well.
How does a DE safety razor work for the bald guys?

Then neck can be a sensitive area for most. It does require that you pay attention to the direction, (with the grain, across the grain, or against the grain) but w/ a little practice it's fine.

Head shaving works great. It's a little awkward doing any head shaving, at first. W/ the DE, you have to pay a little more attention to the angle of the razor head against your skin.
Relax, take your time, and it's quite nice.

It took me a few times get used to it (head shaving) w/ a disposable. Switching to DE took me again, a couple times also. I typically will do one pass wtg, and then follow up w/ a pass atg.
quote:
As to shaving your head, I've never don't that, but I'll suggest starting with a multi-blade since it's easier to avoid cutting yourself.

I agree, if you already have some multi-blades and you've never shaved your head before. Just remember, DE shaving, you do not want to push against the skin like w/ a multi-blade. You use the weight of the razor head or very little pressure.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
My local pharmacy had Williams Mug Shaving Soap when I stopped there today, so I picked up a bar, actually got it cheaper than through Amazon.

Ah yes, I remember my first time DE shaving. It was w/ a puck of modern Williams Mug Shave Soap. Worst shave of my life. Big Grin

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems Williams is either loved or hated. I'm hoping the secret is in the lather, the more the better. A couple YT vids bitched about it, but for $1.79 I'll try it, since it was recommended by TMats on Page 4.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems Williams is either loved or hated. I'm hoping the secret is in the lather, the more the better. A couple YT vids bitched about it, but for $1.79 I'll try it, since it was recommended by TMats on Page 4.

Mitchell's Wool Fat - $12-14 many places if you don't get their fancy ceramic dish. You'll be happier for it.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

I don't like barbasol either. Edge or the Gillette fusion gel is good.

NOTHING Gillette for me, thank you. Barbasol Aloe in a 6OZ can at the Dollar Store, or the larger size when on sale at Walmart.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

They changed their formula many years ago. The older version had more tallow in it. That first puck of the new version I picked up for 90 cents at my local grocer. Combine that w/ some generic blades and inexperience... I've come long way since then.
I did inherit 3 pucks of the old version in a partial sleeve (out of a sleeve of 6?) from a late friend of the family but I haven't really tried them.