New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safety razor Login/Join 
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
I like the Muhle R41.

It is often referred to as an aggressive razor - but I've never had an issue with it and essentially used it as my first DE razor.

I say essentially only in that I also purchased a Merkur 34c at the same time, but was not impressed with the save performance at all. I would have to shave many more passes before I even got close to a non-de razor (mach3 or better).

But I typically don't shave every day, so it may be perfectly fine if you are just shaving off your daily stubble.

Posts: 256 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I’m curious- how many good shaves do you get out of a blade before replacing it?

Posts: 616 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyanide357:
I like the Muhle R41...

Not a butterfly.

By the way, I'm enjoying the responses, even if they're not for a razor I would buy. Keep 'em coming. Smile

Not too many responses yet on the Parker, which is what I'm looking at. Anybody else use one? Also, anything more on butterfly-types in the under-$30 range? Shaving is a necessity to me, not a leisure activity, as we used to say "Zip-Swap, we're done."

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
I’m curious- how many good shaves do you get out of a blade before replacing it?

I shave my head (2 passes)and then my face (3 passes) and normally get 3 uses, usually 4 from one blade.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
^^I've had my GP scuttle for a few yrs. Thanks to SF, I picked up a "second". I had to look twice to find the blemish.

I’ve had my scuttle second for a couple years now and I still don’t know what the blemish is.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a baby face, if I shave two-three days a week most would think I shaved daily. I usually go 3-4 days between shaves and get 7-10 shaves out of a blade before tossing it, more on principal than actual “need”.

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like a Merkur because they make a long handled version which feels good in my hand.

I've always shaved with soap, but until recently used disposables. I switched to a safety razor about six months ago, and based on many recommendations here, went with Merkur. It took me 3 models to find the perfect one. I started with a 34c, a highly recommended short handled heavy model. I didn't like the short handle, so switched to a 23c, the long handled one, but it seemed too light for me. I finally found the 38c, which is both heavy and has a long handle. It is perfect, for me. I tried Astra blades, but quickly switched to Feather and I love those. So far, no cuts from the Feather blades, just a nice smooth shave.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
One blade, one shave. Life's too short to shave with a dull razor.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
For those of you that make multiple passes, some with the grain and some against?

Posts: 616 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those of you that make multiple passes, some with the grain and some against?

“Quick” shave - Two passes, one up and one down

“Better” shave - Three passes, Up/Down/front to back

“SAABBS” (Smooth As A Baby’s Butt) shave - Four passes, Up/Down/FTB/Back to front

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've been using a brush and soap for years. I just took the real dive, and ordered a Merkur 23C and a blade sampler pack on black Friday. A friend sent me a weishi a some blades and I really like it much better than the 5 blade system I dropped(harrys) .

Posts: 8183 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I have shaved with a mug and a brush for about 40 years. When I started I used a Gillette Adjustable, just like my dad did. Used one for a long time. Then I decided I wanted something more primitive and picked up an old Gillette safety razor from a curio shop (or a junk dealer), the top threaded into the handle somehow. I used that for quite awhile. Back to the Adjustable, then tried the Gillette Mach 3. Everytime a thread like this is posted, I look at it and think, “Should I go back to a double-edged blade? Should I dig out one of my grandfather’s straight razors.” No, the Mach 3 works for me

I’ve tried a bunch of shaving soaps over the years, but I keep returning to this:

I use a porcelain cafe mug, like my grandfather did, and Williams Soap fits. As the box indicates, “Since 1840.” I looked that up one time, Martin Van Buren was President when this shaving soap first came out. I think you could say that it has stood the test of time.

I use a badger hair brush, and the last two I’ve bought were from an internet retailer called “eShave.” I like their brush because it has a long handle which works well with my porcelain mug.

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
I used a safety razor for a while a few years back. Got the badger brush and all the trimmings. I have a Merkur 38C (standard) and a 25C (open tooth). Everything was great in the beginning. It didn't take too long to start getting really decent shaves. However, my skin is rather sensitive and as time went on, I ended up getting multiple cuts per shaving session. I eventually switched to a disposable to get the job done and then went to an electric wet shaver. I currently shave every three days.

Seeing this thread has revived my interest but I'm still leery. Based on internet ratings at the time, I was using Feather blades. Perhaps they were too aggressive for my skin? Has anyone been through this and can make a recommendation or should I bite the bullet and spend a few months with a sampler pack? I'd love to find something that works but I'm afraid of shredding my face and walking away from the DE again before that happens.

Posts: 572 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally, those who found the Feather to be too aggressive went to Astra or something comparable. I just decided to buy Astra and not bother with the Pirate look.

Once I get a razor, I'll know for sure! Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mboroman:
I used a safety razor for a while a few years back. Got the badger brush and all the trimmings. I have a Merkur 38C (standard) and a 25C (open tooth). Everything was great in the beginning. It didn't take too long to start getting really decent shaves. However, my skin is rather sensitive and as time went on, I ended up getting multiple cuts per shaving session. I eventually switched to a disposable to get the job done and then went to an electric wet shaver. I currently shave every three days.

Seeing this thread has revived my interest but I'm still leery. Based on internet ratings at the time, I was using Feather blades. Perhaps they were too aggressive for my skin? Has anyone been through this and can make a recommendation or should I bite the bullet and spend a few months with a sampler pack? I'd love to find something that works but I'm afraid of shredding my face and walking away from the DE again before that happens.

What type of razor do/did you use? If you have a sensitive face and a light beard, feather blades probably not the best choice. They are by far the sharpest, combine them with an agressive or open comb razor and unless you are a leather face you are likely in for some blood letting. I can use them, but only in an adjustable at the mildest setting. Even then, the warrant extra attention.

Any of my other blades and the only time I cut myself is if I let the razor move sideways during a stroke.

Me email is in my profile, shoot me your info and I’ll send you a sampler of Astra, Voshkod, Derby, Rapira, Personna Red, and a few others. Use with a mild to moderate razor and I bet you have a better experience.

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Three passes - WTG (With the Grain), XTG (Across the Grain), and ATG (Against the Grain), in that order. Each pass is meant to reduce the stubble, not eliminate it. Weight of the razor only, some would say, and most days, for most people, might only need the first two passes. Fourth pass for touch-up sometimes, but really you should be able to get as smooth as you need from a couple of passes with experience unless you're headed to the Conductor's box at the Met and press closeups, and with some efficient razors you might just need one good pass. Most good shaves with a blade will outlast an electric shave by several hours or days. The answer is - YMMV.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:

What type of razor do/did you use? If you have a sensitive face and a light beard, feather blades probably not the best choice. They are by far the sharpest, combine them with an agressive or open comb razor and unless you are a leather face you are likely in for some blood letting. I can use them, but only in an adjustable at the mildest setting. Even then, the warrant extra attention.

Any of my other blades and the only time I cut myself is if I let the razor move sideways during a stroke.

Me email is in my profile, shoot me your info and I’ll send you a sampler of Astra, Voshkod, Derby, Rapira, Personna Red, and a few others. Use with a mild to moderate razor and I bet you have a better experience.

Great offer; you might also want to consider a milder razor - an OC (open comb) razor is more aggressive (more blade exposure) than a standard safety bar razor. Muhle/EJ R/DE89 is an excellent mild razor, not very expensive, and kind of the mild standard. A vintage Gillette Tech is also pretty easy to come by and a very mild razor. Depending on what you want to spend, if you really want to fly with a Feather blade their DE shaver (AS-D2) is arguably the mildest razor in the world - and with a Feather blade. It's pricier as a high-end razor, but cheaper than some and will last forever (stainless steel). Just like SIGs or 1911s, you can spend low or high but the biggest difference is often the user behind it. Milder blades (Astra, Derby, Gillette Silver Blue, PolSilver, Personna) in more aggressive razors usually produce a milder shave, so if you stick with an OC might take advantage of the generous sampler to give them a try. Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doc H.,

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I started w/ DE I did lots of things wrong.
1)I applied too much pressure as I was used to a disposable.
2)I didn't make a proper lather. You can have a great blade and razor combo but w/ out a good lather, you're more likely going to feel that blade scrape across your skin and maybe bite.
3)I used too hot of water. I was scalding my skin and making it even more sensitive. Now I use the same temp. that I shower w/.
4)I thought most any recommended blade would do.

Another more minor issue, I seemed to ignore tallow soaps at first. There are great soaps out there that are tallow free, but if I was to name my 5 favorite soaps, 4 of them have tallow. I was late to the tallow party.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Weight of the razor only

That is why I did not like the Merkur 23c long handled razor. Too light. The 38c combines the best of both worlds, with a long handle and heavy weight, which makes shaving with the weight of the razor only for pressure dead simple.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Depending on what you want to spend, if you really want to fly with a Feather blade their DE shaver (AS-D2) is arguably the mildest razor in the world - and with a Feather blade. It's pricier as a high-end razor, but cheaper than some and will last forever (stainless steel).

After years of using a number of different safety razors, I finally bought a Feather AS-D2. It is a great razor.

Prior to the AS-D2, I had tried Feather blades in several different razors and found them to be about the same as trying to shave with a cheese grater. I mostly used Astra blades in a couple of different slant-bar razors.

With the AS-D2, the Feather blades are great. With good preparation (e.g., after a shower or hot towel and with good shaving soap), it's like using a squeegee on a windshield. Just kind of wipes off the hair without any sensation of an edge.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post