Safety razor Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
...Feather AS-D2...

Available on Amazon for $158.02. Let me check my Lottery tickets. Eek

Glad to hear it's a great razor. Big Grin

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
What finally pushed me over the edge into buying one was finding a pretty good deal on it. I could never convince myself to do it at full retail.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the deal still out there? I'm not opposed to spending money for a good cause, but I guess we agree it's not worth $150+.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Is the deal still out there? I'm not opposed to spending money for a good cause, but I guess we agree it's not worth $150+.

No, that's not a high-end razor. This is a high-end razor:

RS-18

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry, no, it was a couple of years ago.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just like vintage Gillettes, you can find bargains; plop it in Barbicide and it's a new razor. Assuming it's in good shape (although it's just a hunk of stainless steel, head and safety bars can be bent, but unlikely), it's a great deal - although it can go up:

AS-D2 Feather

And actually a good price, not on bid:

AS-D2 Feather

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
No, that's not a high-end razor. This is a high-end razor:

RS-18

Not a butterfly! Big Grin

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Understand a good handle will last decades. I have a Gillette Slim Adjustable that is as old as I am (56 in a couple months) that looks near new and works perfectly.

Feather blades, the most expensive are about $.22 each. Good blades can be at for less than $.10 each.

Compared to good disposables or disposable cartridges anywhere from $3-$4 per, at $3 per and two razors/cartridges a month you’re looking at $78/yr and twice that if you use one a week.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11227 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Christmas this year was shaving gear! Rockwell adjustible razor, 100 blade sample pack, sample pack of 6 soaps, several aftershave lotions/splashes (if that's the right term). Waiting on the brush (this weekend) and I'll be all set.

Posts: 616 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have updated a while back. Sorry!

I bought the Parker butterfly. Damn thing seems like it weighs as much as my M-1 Garand! Definitely heavier than the Gillette I lost so many years ago.

It's taking some getting used to. Blood has been shed. But after about three weeks and five blades, I'm getting the hang of it. I may order the Edwin Jagger if the price comes down on Amazon, but for now the Parker is good.

Cuts and scrapes aside, the worst shave with this setup is better than the best shave from the disposables I've been using. I'm converted. Cool

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Blood has been shed.

Cuts and scrapes aside, the worst shave with this setup is better than the best shave from the disposables I've been using. I'm converted. Cool

This is your friend:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
My previous one was so old that it just seemed to wash away. So far I've resisted the temptation to buy another one, but maybe I should.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
I was using a Merkur Futur adjustable but not getting a clean shave, so I went back to a 41c open comb for a closer, quicker shave without bleeding to death.

According to Merkur, 41c gives a more "aggressive" shave and I agree.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Santa brought a Parker butterfly to my house. Used it once so far. Thumbs up. Better shave than the previously used Merkur 34C.

Posts: 776 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny thing about the Parker, when I finish shaving it feels like some stubble is left, but after my face dries it's the closest shave I've ever gotten!

My next problem is figuring out all the listings for replacement Astra Superior Platinum blades. I want to buy a 100-pack, but some of the listings seem like they're for multiples of 100, but not the Superior blades.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N...lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

That’s what I ordered a few months ago. You can select a 1 count for $8 and change.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1148 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, hray, I just ordered a 1-pack along with a blade disposal thingy by Feather. It wasn't clear to me that the 1-pack was 20 5-packs, but in my own defense, I've had a headache for three days now! Wink

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hray:
^^^^^^. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N...lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

That’s what I ordered a few months ago. You can select a 1 count for $8 and change.

Is Russian blade. Made from salvaged T-34 tank.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should have updated a while back. Sorry!

I bought the Parker butterfly. Damn thing seems like it weighs as much as my M-1 Garand! Definitely heavier than the Gillette I lost so many years ago.

It's taking some getting used to. Blood has been shed. But after about three weeks and five blades, I'm getting the hang of it. I may order the Edwin Jagger if the price comes down on Amazon, but for now the Parker is good.

I have 3 razors. Merkur , Edwin Jagger and a butterfly that I don't recall the brand on and don't see it on the razor.
I can get a great shave with the first two. Can't shave with the butterfly without butchering up my face. Go figure.

Posts: 2065 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any suggestions on protecting my razor when not in use? My Gillettes always came in plastic boxes with snap-open lids, but my Parker just came in a shipping package, meaning I have nothing to put it in now.

Parker lists a couple travel cases and what looks like a tiny hat for the shaver head, but they're leather, and I don't think that's appropriate for a slightly-damp razor to be stored in.

How do you guys store your razors?

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18