SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Safety razor
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safety razor Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That third one is close to what I want, but one of the Q&A's said it's probably too small for a DE. I'll try searching for something similar this evening.

Thanks, 911Boss!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
That third one is close to what I want, but one of the Q&A's said it's probably too small for a DE. I'll try searching for something similar this evening.

Thanks, 911Boss!

One of the pics in the ad shows it holding a DE razor

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you're right, but several of the one-star reviews said their DE won't fit.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9379 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Depends on the razor, but there are a large variety of DE razor/brush stands:

Razor Stand 1

Razor Stand 2

Razor Stand 3

Razor Stand 4

Razor Stand 5

Razors should be cleaned and dried after use, and I remove the blades - some don't (most blades will rust if left wet - even SS- so if you don't remove be sure and dry as well). If you leave the blade in it's a good idea to cover the head to protect your digits - several types of covers as well.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the first and fourth models, but I don't want to leave shiny things out on the sink for the cats to play with. Smile

Maybe the fourth, if I can't find something more suitable, will fit inside the medicine cabinet.

Both 911Boss's plastic box and your chrome stands are much better than the leather pouches that Parker is pushing.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Mine is actually a toothbrush holder. My toothbrush doesn't seem to mind sharing space w/ a couple razors. None of the touch each other.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Link? Or is it the plastic one 911Boss posted?

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
It's similar to this one, but flat at the top.
This one seems a little crowded. Mine will hold 4 toothbrushes/razors in combo.
https://www.target.com/p/stone...ear-174/-/A-52305483

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
I recently received an inexpensive butterfly safety razor with sample blades. I’ve used it a couple of times now and I’m ready to take the plunge.

It seems that many people like the Edwin Jagger DE89. However, it appears to be cheaply made with cast material that can fail with constant use or with being accidentally dropped. In particular, the threaded post that screws into the handle seems to be the common point of failure.

I’m willing to invest a little more in a unit that uses better material. I’d like to find something that’s stainless steel for example. However, I’d like it to be beginner friendly in terms of aggressiveness just like the DE89.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
I just got this in (Mercur Futur clone) and I love it so far:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s a nice adjustable DE razor. I was using the Persona Israeli blades ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...itle?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but ended up cutting myself with my old Mercur 34c.

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This thread is certainly pertinent

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
I recently received an inexpensive butterfly safety razor with sample blades. I’ve used it a couple of times now and I’m ready to take the plunge.

It seems that many people like the Edwin Jagger DE89. However, it appears to be cheaply made with cast material that can fail with constant use or with being accidentally dropped. In particular, the threaded post that screws into the handle seems to be the common point of failure.

I’m willing to invest a little more in a unit that uses better material. I’d like to find something that’s stainless steel for example. However, I’d like it to be beginner friendly in terms of aggressiveness just like the DE89.

Well, I found exactly what I was looking for:

Feather AS-D2

I realize that "well-made" doesn't come cheap but $165!! Damn, that's an expensive razor. I'll have to keep looking.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, I found exactly what I was looking for:

Feather AS-D2

I realize that "well-made" doesn't come cheap but $165!! Damn, that's an expensive razor. I'll have to keep looking.

The AS-D2 is a very mild razor and beautifully designed and machined, but it is expensive!

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not by any means a beginner but still love my DE89 (been shaving my head also for decade+). I use it 90%+ of the time. I'm aware of it's reputation in reviews so I'm always careful not to over tighten. About two years so far.
I'm not positive but I think the Muhle razors use the same threaded head, yet I don't see the frequency of reported problems, but I've not really looked.

I also have a 1930 Gillette New common bar long comb that is built pretty solid. The previous owner dropped it and it didn't break. It hit hard enough to bend a corner comb tooth a little. Interestingly, the DE89 head and the 1930 NEW head interchange almost perfectly.

My beefiest razor is my Parker Variant (adjustable). I think it could do fine w/ a few tumbles and it doesn't really allow for over tightening. It turns, turns, turns, then stops at the end of the adjustment numbers.
I'd recommend it but it has a bit of a learning curve. Of course, maybe the problem is me. Wink
The tendency for me is to sometimes adjust too close on the last pass because it feels great. I get some great shaves and then I'll over do it, splash on my alc. aftershave and get lit up. Eek Big Grin
Back in the drawer it goes for a few months.

I'd like to tell you to try the DE89 anyway because of all the positives, but I'd hate for you to get burned.

posted Hide Post
When I was looking for a DE a couple months ago the DE89 was pretty much at the top of my list, too, except for the worry about dropping and breaking it, and the fact that it was not a butterfly.

I bought a Parker from Amazon, and it's pretty bulky, heavy, and sometimes difficult to shave with. It does, however, give an excellent close shave if I do my part and use a new blade every two or three days.

The DE89 is still on my list, in case I decide to try something else.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a couple Maggard’s house brand razors. Fair price and well built.

Many options to choose from between heads and handles

http://www.maggardrazors.com/p...azors-safety-razors/

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

Those look pretty similar to the DE89/Muhle razor heads. It even mentions zinc alloy. But if they work good for the price, they may be worth a try.
quote:
Most of the Maggard Razors line come equipped with solid 303 stainless steel handles (MR1, MR3, MR5, MR6, MR7, MR8, MR9, MR18, MR18C, MR22). The MR20 has a hollow Stainless steel handle. The heads of the entire Maggard line are chrome plated cast zinc alloy.

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Game Changer - all stainless DE razor, great price. Currently out of stock, but a waiting list and super value:

Game Changer

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

Those look pretty similar to the DE89/Muhle razor heads. It even mentions zinc alloy. But if they work good for the price, they may be worth a try.
quote:
Most of the Maggard Razors line come equipped with solid 303 stainless steel handles (MR1, MR3, MR5, MR6, MR7, MR8, MR9, MR18, MR18C, MR22). The MR20 has a hollow Stainless steel handle. The heads of the entire Maggard line are chrome plated cast zinc alloy.

I’ve got a couple of the heads, solid stuff-no worries.