Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safety razor Login/Join 
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I use a Viking razor with Delco blades and Creamo shaving lotion.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i use the Merkur hd 34c works great it has the short handle it all a matter of preference
https://www.amazon.com/Merkur-...=1-3&keywords=Merkur

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an adjustable razor so I can dial in how aggressive the blade cuts. I have to use different settings for different brand blades. I highly recommend an adjustable razor, and this is the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 13128 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love shaving now since switching to a safety razor. I tried different razors until settling on Astras. Feathers are super sharp and smooth but too sharp for my delicate skin. Sharks are nice but, chewed up my face. Try a bunch and find one for you. I use Kreemo shave cream and a Razo rock to finish up.

Posts: 4137 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
I use a Merkur 34c heavy. It has a shorter handle along with a little heft to it.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Dollar Shave Club razor and blades. I have been happiest with the four blade system.
I tried the five blade system and saw no difference.

$6 per month delivered. I shave every day. Some months, I have blades left over.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkur, old Gillette, and the Edwin Jager. Since I got the EJ I haven't used the others. A badger bristle brush with some shaving soap and Wilkinson Sword blades are part of my morning routine.

Posts: 5032 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Maggards usually has good deals on starter sets with some ability to choose options.

Warning, "saving" money can add up real quick. Last count, I have 10-12 razors, 5 brushes, a dozen soaps/creams, 5-6 after shaves, and 50 years worth of blades stock piled (Personna reds, PolSilver, Gillette Blues, Rapira, and a few others).

I am a fan of classic Gillette razors, have several that are older than me but look new. Also have a "modern" Merkur, Weishi, a couple of Maggard handles and heads, and a Russian knock off of the Gillette Slim Adjustable.

If you want to go on the cheap, Weishi razors from Amazon offer a real bang for the buck.

I have been wetshaving for a little over a year now, love it and would never go back.

Shoot me an email with your info and I'd be happy to send you a blade sampler.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the recommendations, gives me a good idea where to start. 911boss I really appreciate it! Email sent

Posts: 846 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I have Edwin Jaeger, Merkur and a vintage gold butterfly Schick. My favroite is my Merkur 37C heavy duty slant razor. The slant edge handles heavy scruff on sensitive skin without irritation. It shaves incredibly close and I hardly ever get a nick on my face. I pair it with Merkur double edge blades.

http://www.westcoastshaving.co...-Slant-Bar_p_37.html

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went from disposables to straights to safetys mostly for speed. I still do a straight for special occasions.

I started with a Merkur heavy then picked up a early Gillette open comb which is my current favorite. I have feathers and personnas for blades and haven't decided which I prefer. I will say I cant even think about going back to a mach 4. I don't know how disposables ever got popular.

You can get a badger brush (which I started with) but I picked up a synthetic brush from amazon I believe and its been great. Definitely do a brush and shave soap (I've been rocking bay rum or sandalwood, both are women approved at least around here)but I wouldn't do "shaving cream" ie barbasol. This may sound snobby but seriously, try it and see.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I shave with a bowie knife.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread reminds me of what a great place this is.

When I saw the thread I thought to myself "I think 911Boss got pretty heavy into wet shaving about a year ago, I bet he'll pop in here and give a ton of suggestions, and probably offer up a nice sampler blade pack to the OP."

And that is exactly what happened.

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
This thread reminds me of what a great place this is.

When I saw the thread I thought to myself "I think 911Boss got pretty heavy into wet shaving about a year ago, I bet he'll pop in here and give a ton of suggestions, and probably offer up a nice sampler blade pack to the OP."

And that is exactly what happened.

Yeah this place is awesome between the wealth of information to how helpful everyone is. Best forum I've ever been on hands down.

Posts: 846 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
After a few years of testing DE razors from Parker to Pils and almost every brand in between, I've settled on a Feather stainless which is a bit more then people would like to pay but I have no buyers remorse with it, unlike the Pils.

I still use a gillette slim adjustable for times when I haven't shaved for so long that hair on my head or beard grows long, say a week or more. Adjusting to an aggressive setting lets me clear most of the heavy beard/hair off in one pass. Then I finish up with the feather.

These models have a long thin handle which is what I prefer.

I do prefer feather platinum blades but also don't mind the dorco's. The dorco's just don't last as many shaves as the feathers.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4883 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Been using cheap disposables for years but wanting to try a safety razor. Any recommendations on brand? I see several on amazon with good reviews.

Don't discount injectors either. A good vintage Schick adjustable razor with decent injector blades for many trumps the double edged safety system.

I've been wet shaving since day one and considering I'm 70 this year that says volumes. LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkur Barber Pole. If I did it again, more open comb for days I skip a shave and a knurled handle. But I like it still.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8368 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Mercur 34C.

Astra or Gillete 7 O'clock blades. Both blades are made in Russia and may be the same blade as they give identical shaves.

Astra seem to be universally praised so that will let u skip the variety pack which will have some terrible blades in it.

Posts: 776 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
Big fan of vintage Gillette razors, feather or Gillette black 12 O'clocks.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I love shaving now since switching to a safety razor. I tried different razors until settling on Astras. Feathers are super sharp and smooth but too sharp for my delicate skin. Sharks are nice but, chewed up my face. Try a bunch and find one for you. I use Kreemo shave cream and a Razo rock to finish up.

I switched to Astra too. The Feathers are too sharp.

Posts: 640 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post