SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How often do you get a summons for jury duty? *Got another one pg 4*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you get a summons for jury duty? *Got another one pg 4* Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I just got one and filled out the information on the online portal. This is at least my fourth time in twelve years. I’ve yet to actually have to appear, though. My wife, in all this time, has never gotten a jury summons and says she’s observed the same thing with coworkers. There’s one lady on her team who has had four or five in the last ten years.

I’d like to actually serve and do my civic duty once. The Chauvin trial highlights the need, for me, for good jurors. I wonder, what sorts of cases actually make it trial in King county? Should be interesting either way. I doubt I’ll make it that far. As a white man who voted for Trump, I don’t foresee myself making it through the selection process. Big Grin Razz

How often have you been summoned? Did it ever make it to trial? Have you been on a jury more than once? What on earth goes into selecting people for jury duty that I keep getting summoned so often? Sure doesn’t strike me as random.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17673 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I get a summons every year in Fairfax County, VA. but as being over 70 allow one to opt-out, I have never served.

I understand one of the questions on the initial juror survey is, "Do you own a gun, or are you a member of a gun club?" Answering in the affirmative is an automatic disqualification. No wonder verdicts don't seem to make sense.

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have lived in TN 13 years and have never gotten one. My brother has been here over 30 years and has never gotten one either. I don't know how or where they find jurors.

Posts: 28686 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
King county doesn’t like people with normal views on drugs and drug dealers, I’ll tell you that. If you go in person you can visit the wonderful favela next to the courthouse.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My MIL was on a Grand Jury for the County, only time she's ever been summonsed for any jury duty in her 55+ years.

My wife was summonsed twice, canceled the first time (no need to appear) but forgot what level that was.
2nd time was Federal case, she was selected to sit and gave verdict.

I've only been summonsed once, and canceled. I'd love to sit and see this process. I was a mock defendant for a friend in law school, even being 'fake' it was quite the experience to be on trial in a real courtroom like that.

One of my employees was summonsed 3 times in one year, they kept being canceled.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Summoned 5 times in 40+ years of being a registered voter. I don't think my wife's ever gotten a jury summons. Four of my 5 times, I would up not having to go to the courthouse, and the only time I did, I got put into the pool but got 'thanked and excused' early in the process.

Posts: 15156 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have been called twice by St. Louis County, Missouri. Now that I am well over 70, I am hoping that I have dropped off the list.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've lived in this county my whole life and have only been summoned twice. I sat on a jury for a guy arrested for a b & e charge and we found him guilty because of overwhelming evidence, the least of which was a cop seeing him climbing out a window of the house he burgled. Took all of 5 minutes to get a unanimous guilty verdict. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twice since I became a resident. After filling out the form and noting I am an ex cop, I dont hear anything else.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've been summonsed... three times, I think? Only once did I have to go so far as to appear in the jury pool, and they had their jury before they got to me.

I'm fairly confident I'll never sit on a jury. I would not make the kind of juror either prosecuting or defense attorneys would like Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have lived in six states as an adult. I have averaged a jury summons about every two years and have served on a few juries. Now, I am over seventy and decline jury duty.

In the same time frame, my wife has averaged about one every ten years. My mother-in-law is ninety and never got a single summons in her entire life.

Many times during questioning when I told them I am retired military and an engineer, that got an excused and I went home.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
I was summoned once in college at my legal address 3 hours drive away from school. My mom stupidly returned it for me saying I couldn't go because I was in college, which was rejected.

So I had to write a request for a waiver that was accepted because a) I was registered to vote and had voted in the college town, and resided in an apartment there, and b) I could not commute 3 hours each way and miss my classes.

Since then I don't think I've ever been called, which is surprising. I've lived in the same house for almost 20 years now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4956 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I've never received a jury summons.

Posts: 2240 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It’s been almost 40 years. Summoned once. Served once. Divorce case in Atlanta. Mrs DF served in a murder trial….or manslaughter. Can’t remember.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Once. It wasn’t city nor county, it was Federal. You have to (at least back then, ‘97 I think) show up Monday-Friday for two weeks.

That sucked and was more than enough to last me through the rest of my life.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got summons a couple weeks ago. First time in 35 years of voting.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Never

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I get a letter about once per year but they've canceled every single time.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've gotten them every two years for most of my adult life (even though once you've gone you're good for three years).
Yet I know many people that have never received a single summons ever.

I would love to know how it is they pick candidates.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post