SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How often do you get a summons for jury duty? *Got another one pg 4*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you get a summons for jury duty? *Got another one pg 4* Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
If you go in person...
Isn't that the only way to answer the summons? Confused

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
You can serve via Zoom, at least here in the land of insanity.

Posts: 10045 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What a joke

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Summoned once in a small county. I couldnt even get picked for a drunk driving trial!

My wife was only called once, but she got picked as a juror in a murder trial (older man killed his wife.) Guy took a plea deal a couple of days gefore trial was to start.

Posts: 619 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I was at a dinner party last year and in talking to a lady there the topic of jury duty came up and I mentioned that I had lived here for the past 23 years and had never been called but now that I am retired I’d like to see how the process works and she said that her sister worked in the court and she would mention it to her as they were always looking….

A few months go by and one day I get a knock on the door and it was a deputy with a summons for grand jury duty. Had to serve one day a month for 2 months however we were called back after the second session because they had finally got the evidence needed to prosecute a guy who had killed 2 people and they wanted him prosecuted ASAP.
It took us about 2 minutes to confirm the prosecution.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm 72 years old and have been summoned once, about 40 years ago, but wasn't picked. My wife's been called for jury duty three times in the last 20 years. Twice for county & once for federal.

I'm retired from the dept of corrections, so there's not much chance of me ever being picked in a criminal trial.Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Summoned twice, one cancelled before I had to appear, second one I wasn’t picked for the jury...sat around waiting to get called in for the questioning part and they never got to me, dismissed at the end of the day.
I’ve been on the stand twice as a prosecution witness because of my work....fun times!! Lmao

Posts: 3161 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to get one about every 2 years. I would go down to the Courthouse and spend the day. The defense atty didn't want me every single time. Now, I am old enough to opt out.

Posts: 6717 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
When the wife and I were still in the Bay Area, we each got summonsed almost every year for the last 10 years. Probably not enough legal citizens to get more people involved.

Been in Utah for about 18 months and nothing. Maybe because no crimes are committed here ? Smile Other than all the drug carriers they catch on I-15.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I got a summons every year for 25 years. You only can get a summons every other year for the courts, but I'd get one this year for Superior Court and one next year for Municipal Court, then Superior again and so on.

I never understood this as my Mother never got called in her life, my Dad got called once and my brother never got called.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm good for 3 years after serving on a jury.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 summons in 40+ years. Served on 2 juries. 1st was misdemeanor Public Intoxication. 2nd Felony Evading arrest/Failure to appear. Both found guilty.

Posts: 301 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Called Twice when I lined in NoVa and served on both. One was a Federal court for sexual harassment, the other was Faifax County for felony robbery trial. In both cases the jury decided the trials.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never, despite living at the same physical address for 29 1/2 years. I'm not hard to find.
s.

Posts: 304 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Never.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
You can serve via Zoom, at least here in the land of insanity.

I’m having a hard time putting into words how wrong I think that is.

Posts: 17674 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Been summoned 3 times, two for local county and once for a federal court. Only had to show up for one of the locals and didn't make the jury selection. Federal court duty never materialized and when I showed up at the door they sent me home.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1903 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
When I was a long term resident of FL I got two but both were when I was active duty and out of the state. Not since but I still seem to moe every five years or so.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2249 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I was called once. Sat all morning and a little while after lunch. They had selected a jury before ever getting to me. If I get another summons I will request to be dismissed because I own a very small business and it's better that I'm there than at the courthouse.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Summoned twice four years apart at our county court.

First time I was put on a civil trial against a hospital and was let go during jury selection because my cousins were both doctors for that hospital. That Wednesday they sent me home.

We have to commit a week at a time.

Second time was three rape trials against the same guy. It was looking good on Tuesday when they selected the 12th juror and I figured they’d kick me for being a cop from the alternates. Nope. I was alternate 1 and another cop was alternate 2. Started the trial on Wednesday. Finished late Friday. Guilty. I could’ve came to that verdict on Monday.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8171 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post