SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How often do you get a summons for jury duty? *Got another one pg 4*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How often do you get a summons for jury duty? *Got another one pg 4* Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s wild. What are the odds of such a thing happening!?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Not in 23 years since I've turned 18 have I ever gotten a jury summons or notice, and then this thread happens and suddenly I get that in the mail. This is no coincidence. I'll tell you what this is...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hey, on the bright side, at least they’re going to try to fit into your schedule! Big Grin

/ducks

Seriously, though, this kinda stuff has been happening a fair bit with me lately. Coincidences so strange and improbable as to defy belief. That’s a topic for another thread, though.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I get called about every 7 years. Been on three juries.

Insufficient sample but it seems that people deliberate more diligently in civil cases; people seem to let bias sway their judgment in criminal cases.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
My first summons for jury duty was hand delivered by a deputy when I was living with my grandmother in Baton Rouge while attending LSU.

It was hand delivered because the summons was for a murder trial. I told the deputy that I had just returned from Nam, had enrolled and was trying to finish my fine arts degree work.

He said the only recourse I had was to speak to the judge’s clerk, explain my situation and she might consider excusing me.

Picture this: about four weeks prior, I came in from the field, got my discharge orders and was on the Freedom Bird within four days in brand new fatigues and red clay still on my boots, arrived home 29 December 1969 and by 10 January 1970 I was enrolled back at LSU. My frame of mind did not leave room for this bullshit.

I called the clerk and her first words were “Do you have a problem with doing your civic duty?” – yep, I remember exactly what she said. You Nam vets will understand what that triggered back in ’70.

My heartfelt response: “No, mam, I look forward to it – I haven’t killed anyone in about eight weeks.”

In a somewhat timid voice, she said that there was no need to "interrupt my studies."

I have been called 2-3 times since then (different city), but physical limitations have disqualified me from serving – with no regrets. My wife has been called 5 or 6 times and has served each time.

I honestly cannot put up with the horse shit pushed from either direction.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2297 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like every other year.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never. In contrast my wife was called seven times. They used to excuse you if you owned a business. No more.
My daughter has been called several times. She was fearful it would be a murder trial of a gang member. She wanted advice on what to say during the voire dire.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
A few years ago it seemed I got one every year for about 7 years. 5 times didn't have to report. Sat for one, and got kicked off another.

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've never received a summons, which is probably for the best as it would just be a waste of time, at least in local court. I wouldn't mind serving, but with my job, no defense attorney in his right mind would ever let me sit on a jury here. I don't even get subpoenaed to testify as a witness very much, all things considered.

My mom got called a couple of years back. She was selected and showed up for the trial on the appointed day at the appointed time. They sat in the courtroom for like half and hour before somebody came in and moved them to another room and told them there was a delay. Finally, they were excused but not told why. She found out later from reading the news that the defense attorney for her trial had shown up to work drunk and got arrested for DUI in the lobby of the courthouse Big Grin.

Posts: 9249 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Every 15 years or so.

First was from the county in 2006, but never heard back after returning my questionnaire. Likely due to my profession.

Got one last year for federal court, but was immediately excused because federal law bars LEOs from serving on federal juries.

Posts: 33108 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I got one and was selected for federal jury 30+ years ago and that's the only one.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Seems like every 7 or 8 years or so. Never actually picked. I would have gone 2 weeks ago, but it was all cancelled due to Omicron. Wink

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16956 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I really hope I get called this time. This nonsense of getting a summons every six to nine months and not being called is giving me justice blue balls and I need to get off. I double dog dare them to put me on a jury in King county. Can I vote to hang a guy who takes a dump on the sidewalk or a serial shoplifter? That’d be a fun question to ask.

posted Hide Post
I haven't been called for about 8 years . It would be a waste of time now . My son is a Deputy and that's usually an automatic strike .

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been summoned twice in the last five years. The first time I made it to the jury, but the defendent decided at the last minute to plead guilty (minor trial). The next one was a drug trial where the defendent had provided drugs to his buddy and his buddy overdosed. The defense excused me because I told them I was prejudiced toward drug dealers and would probably vote guilty. They thanked me for my honesty - now I wonder if I would have been more use on the jury in terms of benefit to society!

Posts: 1664 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have been summoned about a half-dozen times. Once was cancelled by phone--no trials that day. Several times I had to sit in the jury pool all day waiting to see if I got selected. Twice I was put in the courtroom for Voir Dire and was asked if I had any friends who were police. My best briend was and is a cop and I was rejected in both cases. The only time I actually served was a case where foster parents were asking the court to dissolve the parental relationship of the biological father. He and his (overdosed departed) wife were long-term drug users and the child had been born as drug-dependent. The child was put into a foster home of 2 doctors who had the ability and desire to care for it. The father did make an effort after his wife died to clean up his act, but the the Jury was not buying it and we did vote to preclude him from any contact with his daughter until she were 18. FWIW, I had been voted the Jury Foreman.

When I reached 70 years old I began requesting to be excused. I did receive a notice last year and phoned in a request to be removed, and was.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Reporting tomorrow. Last two times were canceled before I had to report.

Posts: 11416 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
About every 4 years. But just got selected for Federal Jury Duty and county jury duty at the same time. I'm going to try to get out of country, federal pays much better.

Posts: 4232 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was receiving notices annually and my number was only in the series once. I wasn’t picked as a juror due to my position in corrections at the time. It’s been 6 years since I’ve received a notice. I now live in a different county and haven’t received anything in 2 1/2 years. I hope to sit on a jury some day.

Posts: 791 | Location: PA | Registered: June 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post